“Amazing room let down by the restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Banff
“Amazing room let down by the restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here just to sample the restaurant as we live too far away to enjoy ourselves and then drive home. So we used an internet offer of a hotel room, dinner for two and a bottle of wine on arrival, all for £99! Amazing. We ungraded for £150 to the best room at the hotel called the Balmoral Suite. It was gorgeous. Although there was no hair dryer, no fresh milk for tea and coffee and I had to stand on a chair and mend the broken curtains to get them to close. No dressing table either so a funny half squat was required to use the only available mirror for hair drying - yes they did bring me a hair dryer when I asked. A part of a hoover and some shop hangers were left on the floor. Room was stunning with a huge velvet sofa, fluffy bath robes, amazing bath room and a wraparound balcony. We would have been let down though if we had paid the full price of over £300 for the room for the night.

Dinner was the down side of the trip. We were left throughout the meal for large periods with no staff in sight. No wine for twenty minutes. We hung on to our bread for dear life as we had no idea when our main courses would arrive. Saying that when the staff did arrive they were polite, chatty, informed and well trained. I can only assume there were not enough of them serving that night. Apparently the entire menu had changed that day so chaos was obviously ensuing. My chicken parfait was bland and my swordfish a little under done. The husband's crab and avocado fritters were very nice but he was not asked how he wanted his lamb cooked and of course it arrived very well done, which is not to his taste at all. The food was not the treat we were looking for and we have had much better at an average gastro-pub.

All the staff were lovely, if rare. Food dull. Room amazing. We came for the food and found that the best part of the trip was the room. Not at all dissappointed with our stay but will definitely not return to eat. I would stay at this hotel and then venture into town to one of the many better restaurants of Aberdeen.

Room Tip: If you can afford a suite then you get a balcony. We loved coming back to our room and then sitting...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
FORFAR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Had booked this hotel to give it a try as I had been to the previous one which was the Queens Hotel but has been bought over and renovated by Mal Group.
Although quite extensive moderisation had taken place the hotel was dark due to the low lighting and hotel colour scheme . What I did not like was the music that blasts out in th bar all day and night and these hotels should realise these places are not just for young people but older people as well.
The room was well appointed but we had en executive room which is well worth paying that extra.
We booked dinner in the resturant and was very disappointed with the standard here, the food was bland with a not very good menu and if I had seen the menu before I booked I would have gone elsewhere

Would not recommend this hotel for the over 50's but it will be suitable for the younger element

The gent at reception overcharged me and had to ammend bill and he never once asked if I had enjoyed my stay so I will not be going back to this hotel

Room Tip: Do not book dinner go next door to Simpsons restuarant
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Pricy, but an excellent hotel, very good restaurant, helpful staff, a must for me in Aberdeen due to location

• Stayed July 2012
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions, the standard of the rooms are very high with a quality bathroom. One of the delights of my stay is their brasserie; a fantastic breakfast you get approx half a pig and it sets you up for the day. If you get chance to get a booking in the evening, go for the signature steak. Wow fantastic, the best of Aberdeenshire beef.

Just to manage expectation, the food far out ways the service as this can be slow at times. But if you can accept that and it's a little pricy then it's well worth a visit.

Room Tip: The modern part of the hotel seems to be better
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Food is great, particular the breakfast. Service all round the hotel is great but I would think twice about staying here again as the place stinks of urine, mainly in the bar and corridors. This is not what I would expect from a hotel of this stature. The bar is mostly carpeted and I think the regular spillage of drinks and poor cleaning methods have created this awful smell, same in the corridors where our room was. It is a shame as other than this it was a great place to eat, drink and relax.

• Stayed June 2012