“Cosy, independent hotel with nautical themed reception. Quiet residential area”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mariner Hotel

The Mariner Hotel
Ranked #35 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
The Beautiful North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I chose the Mariner due to it's location close to, but not directly on the busy A90.
It's in a quiet residential area in the west end of Aberdeen, a good 20 to 30 minutes' walk/ 5 minutes' drive from the town centre, train station, etc.

The 'nautical theme' is just the right amount - enough to give it character and set it apart from faceless chain-hotels, but not so much that it becomes tacky. Large amounts of wooden decor gave the public areas and my room a warm, traditional feel.
The room was clean, nicely decorated and an adequate size. Free Wi-Fi was very welcome - I use this more than the TV.
My single room was directly over the bar so received more noise - partly from the bar, partly from Great Western Rd outside in the morning. It wasn't loud, but it could disturb a light sleeper. If you need an early night, ask for a room over the car park instead.

There is a restaurant in the hotel which looked very popular, but I didn't use it so can't comment. The nearest restaurants/bars outside the hotel were about 15 minutes walk down Great Western Rd towards the city centre.

Breakfast was merely average, there was a large amount of liquid (water? fat? both? ) on the plate, which pushed me into eating cereal in future! Although the service was good, there seemed to be different staff on breakfast duty every day. Maybe this was just during my stay, but it's nicer when you see the same faces every day. Either way, breakfast quality could be improved, which is why I've given the Mariner Hotel 4 instead of 5.

Overall, this is a good, mid-sized, independent hotel.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are over the rear car-park, away from the bar and Great Western Rd
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel - glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
we appreciate the feedback in regards to the breakfast - which I have passed on to the Head Chef.
You are quite correct regarding the breakfast staff - holiday cover meant that you had a different bod each day! (my usual breakfast supervisor certainly wouldn't have taken out a plate that was not up to standard...I say this only as an explanation not an excuse- so thankyou again for bringing this to my attention)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Small cosy hotel within easy reach of city centre. All the staff I met were friendly and polite, the room was spacious and comfortable with the whitest bed linen I have ever seen. The hotel bar was warm and friendly with a good selection of whiskies and a good real ale.
However the breakfast was by far and away the best breakfast I have ever been served in any hotel I have stayed up to now, both for quality and quantity, I will definately make this place my first choice when I go back to Aberdeen.
My only minor criticism I would have liked blackout curtains in the bedroom as I do wake early if the room gets light.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank grahammckenna
Somewhere on the Sea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I've stayed at the Mariner a few times in the past year. I've had nothing but good experiences. The rooms are very quiet and comfortable. The for is top-notch. The bar is cozy and relaxing.

Room Tip: Room 24 -- the suite -- is well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Offshore2long
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Recently had a meal at the Mariner for my Step-son's birthday - the hotel were aware of the occasion and made his birthday meal a special one!

On arrival we were shown to the most magnificent glass topped carved table with a bottle of fizzy thrown in. Michael served our table and his natural charm and bonhomme made us all feel most welcome and relaxed.

Now to the food - I had Lobster Laksa on a cucumber salad and I have to say it was one of the best starers I have ever had. My complements to the chef who got the balance of flavour, spice and texture spot on. Next I had Dover Sole italienne ( a butter sauce with fresh tomatoes and olives) it also comes with another sauce but I forget what it was - prawn and something I think. Again this was perfectly cooked and given the size of the fish, at £19 cheap as chips. The Key Lime pie was next - given the portion sizes I can only imagine it was the excellent cooking that made me go for desert, cause I'm not a big eater. Again the lightness of the filling was excellent, albeit I would have liked a little more zestiness.

To finish my review I will compare the Marnier with the other well known fish restaurant in Aberdeen, the Silver Darling - there is no comparison. I have eaten at the Silver Darling a few times and the Mariner wins hands down, for quality of food, abience, service and being an Aberdonian - value for money. If you love your sea food give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Charming hotel that always offers a warm welcome , friendly helpfull staff and a good menu whether in the restuarant or a bar meal always my first choice when visiting Aberdeen usually on a weekly basis

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business