Derry City Independent Hostel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Derry
See available hotels
City Hotel(Derry)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsliving roommackenziedormguestscity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2016

We stayed at this hostel for two nights and it was one of the best hostels we've visited. The hostel is adorable and has a very homely feel about it, especially with the big dining table for everyone to share in the kitchen, and a lovely living room with a great selection of movies! It was also cozy, warm and super clean and despite it's great location (pretty close to just about everything) there wasn't too much noise at night. The star of the lot though was the wonderful staff who worked here. We were helped by the manager Jack and he was incredibly helpful, taking the time to point out all the useful information travelers need on the map, and recommending some good places and attractions. He was able to give us some great tips on what to see during our limited time in Derry. Furthermore, his friendly and welcoming demeanor made for a great hostel atmosphere and lots of interesting and entertaining chats among guests and staff alike. Our whole experience was so made much more rewarding and memorable thanks to this wonderful individual! Thanks a million to Jack and also Mackenzie, we highly enjoyed our stay :)

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2016

We stayed at the hostel for a few nights. It is cosy and has more of a big house feel rather than a hostel. The only down side is that there are only three bathrooms so you have to wait your turn to use the shower and toilet ect. The other concern I would have is the so called Manager. He is really young and obnoxious and had no clue in the history of Ireland let alone Derry. Ireland is steeped in history so it might be a suggestion to find a host who is knowledgeable about the culture or at least wants to learn and absorb the history. He is not very respectful (of the culture) and it felt like he thought he was superior to the people staying there. He also mentioned that he was not that keen on Ireland as a whole. Our first impression was that he was not very welcoming and he seems to think that he was doing us a favor by letting us stay there. in short he was self obsessed. Other than that it was a nice building and we met some nice people. If you just want some space on your own then this is not the place for you as there is always someone sitting in the kitchen downstairs (or the host watching, controlling and observing everything). There are always people in the front room playing video games or just talking. So its hard to find the serenity to just relax and chill. On the up side the volunteer guy called Mackenzie was really nice and helpful. he would have made a much better host for sure.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Betty M
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

It took me a while to find my way here as my map was poor and before I actually read the directions from the itinerary - so it was my own fault. The hostel isn't far from the centre at all. I was a little exhausted and hungry when I got there, but instantly felt like coming home when I got inside. A member of staff (I guess his name was Mario) was very welcoming and friendly and showed me the places and even carried my rucksack upstairs to my room.

I shared a dorm with four ladies, who were all nice. There were four safety deposits in the room, very handy. Also, there were enough electric sockets to charge your phone, laptop etc. The top bunk was a little scary at first, but quickly I got used to it and slept like a baby both nights I stayed there.

I liked the big wooden table in the kitchen and the idea that everyone cooks their own breakfast. The eggs are in a bowl and you can make them just the way you prefer. There aren't too many toilets in the house, I guess only three and there's also a shower or a bathtub in it, so you may have to wait long until you get there. That's the only con I can think about this hostel. I miss Derry and this hostel and I'm definitely coming back someday!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

Nice familiar and casual place. The staff is amazing and friendly and will help you on whatever you need :) Is nicely located, all what you need is just 5 to 10 minutes walking. The beds are comfortable and all the guests are friendly and easy to talk to! Will come back for sure.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

Lovely hostel in a good location.
The beds were the best hostel beds I have had so far and the rooms were really spacious. The staff were just great ! A couple of kiwis. They were homely and welcoming from the moment you pressed that doorbell. Home made bread for breakfast and eggs ! Just great. The only thing I could say was a tiny bit negative would be the bathrooms . Just the door felt a bit intrusive , I know you probably can't see through the door but it feels a bit uncomfortable . Apart from that it was the best hostel so far for sure !

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo