“Mums birthday disappointed”

The Gown Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 202 Restaurants in Derry
Description: The Gown Restaurant opens for service from 5pm and is a refreshing addition to the Derry restaurant scene, offering seating for 50 people. Fronting London Street, in the heart of the Cathedral Quarter, “The Gown” is the culinary focal point of Bishop’s Gate Hotel offering seasonally inspired menus of locally sourced ingredients, expertly prepared by the Executive Chef and his talented team. This vibrant eatery is accessed via the hotel main entrance on Bishop Street and has several original features including the original wall panelling which has been superbly restored to create a charming dinner venue which oozes character and delivers a delightful ambience.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We came as a family in January after being hear at a wedding, that was fantastic. We were informed several times they needed the table back at a specific time yet we had to ask at every course could we order as the staff huddled at the till talking. Anyway the main part was the waiter being rude and aggressive to my mum. (Her birthday meal) soups arrived and we got asked who was for soup, mum accepted and the waiter said hardly it's a kid's soup.... I guess customers should know the difference in bowls so they can answer correctly. Dinner ...most of us had the steak .... Not great, just ok. Disappointed, small tasteless very little effort put on the plate. Not much choice for dessert but they did bring mum a chocolate mouse (after asking twice!) It was delish! Over all we won't be back to the gown, spending nearly 300 pounds left with bad taste in our mouth. However we have since had lunches in the bar, and were outstanding. I just don't know if we came on a bad night

Reviewed 20 February 2018

I have stayed in this hotel and eaten in the hotel with my family a number of times already and I have had nothing but glowing reviews until my meal with some members of my family on Sunday 18th Feb. This was a treat from me to them while back in town visiting.

In summary the service on this occasion was completely awful. Lack of attention, lack of interest in the guests and lack of co-ordination and ownership within the serving team on duty.

We arrived at the Hotel and had to wait for one of our guests who was late, As usual the front bar staff where great and attentive. At this stage I thought It was going to be another good meal and I would be happy. However, this was not to happen.

Starters were delivered and everyone enjoyed them. The problem we had, occurred once we got to the main meal. What I noticed was that the waitress who took our order was off serving a number of further tables and I could see that specific staff members where not allocated to specific tables, which I would have expected to ensure continuation of service. We started to see different staff coming to the table after the starter and this I know from past experience only leads to lack of attention and care. And as I expected happened.

We waited some time for the main course which was to be expected when ordering steaks as most of the party did, this wait was not the issue. When the main course was served we got the main course but no sides, we waited, as we waited I saw different staff going in and out of the kitchen but still no sign of the sides. Now at this stage there where a number of waiters and waitresses working the main room but again no one was apologetic or focusing on the table with still the lack of sides. At this stage I noticed two members of staff where focuses on chatting to each other and hanging around the main till in full view of us. Not one of them was watching the table or noticing our annoyance at the lack of attention and lack of focus. At this stage I had to call out.

Suddenly they sprang into the action one of waitresses went in to receive the sides which I was expecting should have been waiting for the main courses thus not sure why they did not come out straight away. they arrived as I expected with the wrong sides as the waitress serving us was not the waitress that took the order. she went back in more confusion then back out with some sides but not all the sides.

At this stage I think the supervisor apologised for the bad service and the wait but at this stage it was too little too late. He did offer free deserts which we did not take up but did provide free coffee.

I really like this hotel and restaurant and have been singing its praises for year or so its been opened, loved my stay at Xmas but this was just really bad service.

The hotel can do better and should do better we had a decent party of six and each of us had a bad experience. The serving team need to keep focus on the dinners and you need to have consistency in the serving staff on a table other wise this will happen again and again.

I can only hope on my next visit they service gets better but on this occasion it was shocking

3  Thank Conor K
Reviewed 6 February 2018

I recently dined here whilst staying at Bishops Gate Hotel, the food was top quality, and service was 1st class. Customer service was excellent and food was served very quickly. It has a great chilled out atmosphere.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We went here for dinner on 3/2/18 with our 5 kids. The food was beautiful, service excellent and the place itself gorgeous. We have taken our kids out for many meals but we were very impressed with their kid's menu. The food itself was beautifully presented and just as much effort appeared to have been put into the junior and adult dishes. Fabulous dining experience all round!! Thank you!!

Reviewed 3 February 2018

Visited this restaurant for the 2nd time. On entering the lounge area we were met by friendly smiling staff who couldn't be more attentive. After ordering drinks we were shown to the table of our choice. Nothing too much bother! The food and service were of the highest quality. Steak was 'melt in your mouth' and staff all the time anxious to please. Though the menu is set my wife mentioned a different side order and the immediate response was "Can I get that for you?" And all reasonably priced. This restaurant is most definitely a gem in the city. Cannot compliment and recommend it highly enough. Thoroughly deserves a 5 star rating. Looking forward to returning very soon.