“A big disappointment”

Ranked #123 of 1,173 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 52
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Golden Mile
Description: The Morning Star dates back to 1810 as a public house, but the building was here well before that! The entries were, and still are, the heartbeat of old Belfast. Located in an old romantic entry running between Ann Street + High Street, in the heart of Belfast City Centre. The Morning Star is easily identified by the superb Victorian sign hanging from a grandly exuberant iron bracket jutting out from the corner of the bar, one of the finest examples of its type around. We source all our beef, chicken, lamb and pork locally and most off our family farm. We serve award winning food in our restaurant and bar Monday to Sunday, with a focus on simplicity and promoting local produce. Our bars stock the best in spirits and we pride ourselves on our vast whiskey range. We also have local and international craft beers on tap along with the likes of the black stuff (guinness).
Reviewed 6 April 2018

It was our first time in Belfast and the taxi driver who picked us up from the International Airport was very keen to let us know which pubs to visit and which restaurants were good. He talked enthusiastically about The Morning Star - saying it was the best place in the city to get a good steak. He said that he had recommended the place to everyone he collects in his taxi as it really was excellent.
That very evening, we walk to The Morning Star from our accommodation at The Hilton, where we met up with our relatives and headed upstairs to the restaurant, expecting great things. The restaurant was completely empty other than one other table of two people. It looked shabby and in need of a good fettle with quite loud, uninspiring music on. We all looked at each other in dismay but decided to give it a go, seeing as the taxi driver had been so insistent as to how good the place was.

The waiter took our drinks order - I asked if they sold 'craft beers' and he said no. I decided to have a look for myself at the beers they were offering and could see that there was definitely bottles of craft ale in the fridge. The waiter apologised and brought me and my partner a bottle each. Our relatives ordered a bottle of wine which was brought over and they seemed quite happy with it.

Because of the taxi driver, we ordered steaks; a fillet steak medium rare for me and a 10oz sirloin medium rare for my wife. We both opted for the triple cooked chips... When the meals arrived, the steaks were served on sizzling cast iron dishes. My fillet was cooked to perfection, however my wife's was already on the medium side and was quickly becoming well done. The chips were cooked from frozen and were typical cheap chips, certainly not triple cooked. As we started eating, a large group of young women came into the restaurant followed by a few older men. They walked down into another part of the restaurant where they became extremely loud and raucous, downing drinks and making lots of noise. It was obvious that this was unacceptable behaviour, and a waiter came over to tell us that normally they would go over and tell the group to quieten down, but unfortunately one of the people in the group was actually the owner! We were absolutely appalled and said so. The group carried on making lots of noise until they received their food. We finished our meals, paid and left. I would never go back. It really doesn't deserve its reputation.

2  Thank BelindaO_13_13

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Went on a solo tour of Belfast the other day and came across this gem of a bar tucked away in a small side alley.

Was greeted by a staff member named Jolene who saw a lost English tourist and was guided to a table and presented with a menu. I asked for the recommendation on their burgers and was given a well rehearsed run off of their burgers, what was in them and how much they cost, an impressive feat judging by the menu.

Jolene proceeded to provide me with excellent customer service during my stay. From the moment I entered until I left.

The food is phenomenal and worth every penny. The staff are amazing and extremely good at their jobs, and the decor for the bar gives a cozy atmosphere.

Would recommend to everyone, and will definitely be back next time I'm in Belfast.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

They were very accommodating and even made special dishes for our picky eaters. Everything we had was cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Meghan R
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We seemed to find this restaurant by accident as it is hidden down an alley. Although it was busy we found a table tucked away. The food, especially the steak was delicious. Good atmosphere, i would recommend.

1  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Hidden away in the back alleys of this vibrant city is a gem. That gem is The Morning Star. A very busy little place that has so much character. After being met with such a warm welcome we were seated and shown the menus and told about the buffet. The buffet is highly recommended fresh made hot food that is constantly being refreshed along side a perfect pint of Guinness.

1  Thank MelanieBirnie