“Worst Hostel Ever!”

Paddy's Palace Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Worst Hostel Ever!”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I planned to stay at this hostel three nights, but I changed my mind when I saw it! The building and the kitchen equipment is old, the rooms are tiny and really dirty. That's what you can say about the whole house: the showers, loos, floors, kitchen aren't clean. I also had to organise the toilet paper several times. In addition, the beds are disgusting. You get linen which you are supposed to use as a sleeping bed because the bed covers aren't washed but used for every customer.
The worst thing about the whole hostel is the mould!!!! The house has a leck so that the walls and the loo downstairs are covered with mould and mildews!! You would not believe until you see it. I asked the reception guy about it and he says the manager doesn't want to spend the money to fix the leck so they'll just remove the mildews and cover it with paint. Stupid!!!!
I think they should close down the hostel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank DublinGirl C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hostel was the best hostel I ever stayed in!

Sure the rooms and the common areas were not the cleanest but the staff were so friendly & up for the craic!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed here as part of the paddy wagon 6 day tour of Ireland. The tour was excellent, and all the other hostels were great, but this one in Belfast I was pretty disgusted in, except for our dorm which at least had clean linen. The dorm door didn't lock, the lock was broken, so I spent most of the nite awake. About 1am, a stranger poked his head into our room, as he opened the door and saw me staring at him he left. When I mentioned the lock to the person in charge he said it must have been the group the nite before, and would look into it. He never did. The downstairs toilet was leaking water on the floor, so unable to use it, and no toilet paper on the 2nd floor, when I mentioned this he said we are behind in things. The showers were dirty as well. I didn't spend much time in the kitchen preferring to have a coffee from Starbucks. There is no need to have hostels in this state.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I did a two day tour of Northern Ireland with Paddy Power when I was in Ireland last year and chose to stay in the private accommodation instead of the main part of the hostel. So this review is for the private accommodation that Paddy Palace offers. When I booked this I thought I was just going to have my own room within the main hostel area, but to my surprise, it was actually a whole separate apartment I had to myself which was located just across the road. It was modern, big and clean. There was a washing machine in the full-size kitchen. The living room had a sofa and flat screen tv. The hostel is located close to the University and is walking distance to an area with many restaurants and pubs. The staff was very nice and accommodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010
Israel
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed here twice- beginning of August, then again beginning of September... Both times we booked a 12 bed dorm, on our second stay we got "upgraded" and were put in a 4 bed dorm which was great...
Nice sitting room, free breakfast was standard and good...
Staff were really great! Very nice and helped us with some great tips about places to go out, and places to eat...
The only problem we had was when we got back one night our key to the front door didn't work, and they don't have 24/7 reception so we had to bang on the window of our room (which was thankfully on the 1st floor) and pray our roommates were in to open the door for us... so check your keys during office hours!!
They also offer a free tour with any 2 night stay (a £18 value)... We went on the tour and even though we thought the guide was obnoxious we got to see the Giant's Causeway which was awesome and we wouldn't have seen otherwise...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends