“Great little hostel”

Arnie's Backpackers
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Arnie's was no frills, I showered in a room just off of the kitchen, but Arnie was sweet and the place was clean. My pillow didn't smell like feet (which happens a lot in hostels) and from what I could tell, everything was kept clean regularly. They'll hold your valuables for you, but the place doesn't seem to attract the scum of the earth, so larger items you'd worry about but not think to hand off were totally safe there. They've got dogs, so allergy sufferers beware, but they're sweet dogs and small, so nothing to be afraid of otherwise. I got a great Internet connection there, but I don't know if it belonged to them or not. It's just well located, right outside of the hustle and bustle, but close enough to walk for dinner at night alone and not be afraid. At one point the common area was closed for a yoga session. I was more upset I didn't know about it than I was that the common room was occupied. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat, and I stayed in Bed and Breakfasts most of the time I was in Ireland.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Arnie's Backpackers

Reviewed 20 March 2009

I had mixed feelings about this place. I liked the very friendly owner and staff and was impressed with the knowledge of Belfast. However, I feel that in these smaller hostels, it can feel like you are intruding into someones home. The atmosphere was okay, but thats not something that i really value in a hostel, after all, its only a bed for the night, its not like you are staying long term. Rooms were comfortable (ask for a 4 bed dorm, the others looked to crowded and cramped). Overall an ok place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2009

oh my god i never want to be a backpacker, this place was so dirty i'm suprised i' ve not got scabies, the curtains was hanging on by the cobwebs, and the hostel had a funny smell all the time, apart form that Belfast was nice and we had a great ST. PATS DAY. .

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ANGIEJOCK
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I didn't book, I just came to have a look, they had a free bed and offered me a cup of tea, i didn't need more.
This hostel is not the biggest, the modernest, the cleanest you can find, but this is the more friendly you can find.
The staff is really pleasant.
This is just a big house full of friend sharing it for few nights.
And it is one of the cheapest of Belfast.
15 mn walking from the city hall, 3mn from the university and from the wonderful Botanic Garden.
I felt so good there and i met so fine people that i decided to stay a bit longer...

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 June 2008

We (3 girls aged 20) stayed here for 1 night in June 2008.

It was more than adequate for what we required - just somewhere to crash after a busy day of sightseeing followed by a few pubs.

Location is about 15 minute walk into the centre, near Queen's University. This is an easy walk.

Room was fine apart from the beds being a bit close together in terms of top and bottom bunk. There was us 3 in our room along with another girl as it was only a 4 bedded room. A negative would be the fact that the door to your room is not locked and so anyone could potentially walk in and take your things, but you can leave any valuables with the staff.

The staff were friendly and welcoming (you have a cup of tea made for you when you arrive!)

We only used the kitchen to make cups of tea but there was fridge, cooker, hob and the cooking utensils and pans etc needed. It was cleaned by the staff once a day so I would happily of used it.

There are 2 showers in the entire building and a max of 22 people staying at one time but we didn't have to queue for the showers and they were fine.

Would stay again.