US$ 217
US$ 139
US$ 99
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 111/night.

US$ 83
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscauseway cafeself catering kitchenprivate twin roomcity centrebed dormshower and toiletgiants causewaywet roombeds were comfortablebotanic stationthird floorthree nightsbotanical gardensulster frywould stay againqueens universitywifi
Reviewed 25 August 2017

We've both stayed in hostels regularly all over the world, this was possibly one of the worst we've ever stayed in.

We booked a private twin room, it was one set of tiny bunk beds with no room to move, not the two single beds side by side that the photos showed. The rooms are hotter than Mordor, so we left the window open. Fine during the day, but the street comes alive at night. Bins being emptied for about an hour every morning, people shouting/preaching and it sounding like the Titanic was coming to dock right next to our room.

Positives - cafe/kitchen facilities were okay, and there seemed to be enough bathrooms/showers for everyone.

In short, if you want a tiny room, uncomfortable bed, and to be woken up all throughout the night, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front by the main road are horrendously noisy - try and move to the back of the hostel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Front Office Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the hostel, albeit a mostly negative one. (That said thank you for mentioning the positives: our kitchen facilites and cafe, and that we have a decent number of showers on each floor for those who've booked a standard room).
There are photos of all of our rooms, both standard and ensuite, on all of the websites on which we sell beds: we have a very wide range of rooms here at the Youth Hostel in Belfast, and you booked the cheapest of our 2 person rooms: described online as "small (half the size of a standard 4) and designed for those seeking a budget room but some privacy, not extra space or comfort". For just £12 more you can book an ensuite twin or double, which gives you a little more space as well as a private shower/toilet.
On some websites how rooms are described, and how the photos are used or ordered, is out of our control but pictures of all of our room types are there and it seems strange to assume, when comparing rooms, that the cheaper of the 2 bedded rooms on offer is the one which is a more spacious with twin beds and a private bathroom.
August has been unusually cool, we have no heating on in the summer, so room temperature in not something that has come up in reviews very often this summer.
Sorry again that we did not meet your expectations on this visit, but I hope you enjoyed your time exploring Belfast nonetheless.
David

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Read great reviews which is why we booked here. Unfortunately, our experience was not anything like the reviews... Room key did not work when you walked up the stairs to get into your hallway...Wifi was non existent. No change machine to be able to purchase water from the vending machine. Dirty floor in lobby. Dorm beds were very noisy and uncomfortable. Hot rooms, loud noise from street with windows open, not enough outlets for phone charging etc.

Room Tip: Private rooms may be better.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Jane T

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
Our reviews are generally good, but we know that we are not going to be the right fit for everyone.
We are a city centre hostel so street noise can sometimes be an issue, particularly at the weekend or with windows open. Busy dorms can be warm places.
We only offer Wifi in our common areas, as detailed on booking websites, and have added extra sockets in and around these areas for charging. We are also trialling new lights in some rooms which give us a socket by each bed: hopefully we will be able to provide these throughout the hostel but, as budgets are very tight (and our prices low), it will be a slow process.
Having a change machine is really not something which has ever been been suggested, or seen as a necessity.
Our hostel has a dedicated team of housekeepers: they work mornings and early afternoons: our lobby is tiled and the floor is mopped every morning (not always easy with feet and bodies and luggage unwilling to surrender space - perhaps it was easier in the days when hostels had a 'lock out' during the day?).
I hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels.
David

Reviewed 13 August 2017

I thought this place was a great value for the money, especially considering the central location. The public areas and rooms are clean and modern and bright. There's even free parking in the back, something that we didn't find in many of the more expensive bed and breakfasts and hotels we stayed at in other parts of Ireland. And although they didn't supply towels, they did loan us towels for free, which is something we had to pay for at another hostel we stayed in. I brought all my own toiletries with me so that wasn't a problem.

The staff at the front desk were also very friendly and helpful and arranged a really outstanding black cab tour for us soon after our arrival.

The rooms were a bit small and could use a few shelves for belongings, but for the price I really can't complain. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Came over for the Ulster GP and decided to try the hostel. The last few years ive used air bnbs with no issue. Where do we start? An untrained security guard working as a receptionist. 2 plug sockets between 4. Luckily I became familiar with the room guests as a we had a mutual connection with the road racing. However this proved to be a downfall. On othe last night, a gentleman we met on the side of the track was drenched through the rain upon the track so he was offered a shower and a charge of his phone ready for the travel the next day at our expense. Little did we know the complete and utter ignorance about to unfold. I was checked with my mutual friend for the very first time on the last evening, producing the correct ID required, no problem. As we went back to our room and the gent we had met was drying himself we got a knock from what I can only described as a man who somewhat saw himself in a position of power know fully trying to flex his authority. The good will of the room, (and the road racing family) had supposedly breached an apparent ruling. I never signed any T&C so I'm completely unaware. The clerk/receptionist/dictator then told the whole room to pick their bags and get out. It was midnight, we checked the internet and there was nothing available as you might imagine on a Saturday night. This didn't matter to him. There was no room to compromise. No reasoning what so ever. So as a stranger in 2 day relationship I was chucked on the streets of Belfast. I held my ground for a few hours asking for a manager which he couldn't produce. So he sent up an apparent security guard, who wasn't showing any documentation of a SIA badge or anything showing he was a trained man. I simply believe they just chucked him the Hi Viz. To his defence he was happy with our good will. We apologised and he said we were good to stay all forgiven.20 mins later the PSNI appeared with 0 remorse and after a lengthy discussion they said they had no rights to protect us and told us we had to leave because of this weasel. I'm quite a fan of nature and apologise to the weasel family. So the PSNI also made me a tramp that night. I asked for a refund, the PSNI said I could have one, the jumped up telephone receptionist who wasn't a manager somehow made a managers decision to say I wasn't. Now I'm from a sleepy little town in England. I'm now on the streets of Belfast at midnight. Unfamiliar with my surroundings. My only knowledge was former briefings if had on the city. I know the country has made strides forward but as a somebody who was Ex Army of very recent times, I'd still say I was at risk in the wrong hands.

Cold, disorientated and absolutely furious at the lack of compassion and responsibility by this hostel. Won't return and never will. Even if it's the last place in Belfast next year I'd rather do my night of walking Sandy Row, the shankhill and the adrenaline rush of stumbling onto the falls.

Avoid at all costs

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Belfast international youth is located near the queen university which takes five minutes walk to get there.