“Thank You... A Most Memorable Stay”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Thank You... A Most Memorable Stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I just wanted to drop you a quick review to thank The Fitzwilliam Team for a most memorable stay last weekend. My boys were beyond excited staying in a FIVE star hotel for the weekend and their expectations were certainly met by your hotel. A special shout out to Gerard and Kris who are always stand out "stars" when I stay with you. Again many thanks, keep up the great work and I very much look forward to staying with you guys again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Hotel Not Really a 5 Star
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Whilst this is a nice modern hotel, our stay was ruined by the thuggish behaviour of the Concierge. Returning back to the hotel at 2.30 am, hotel residents were required to queue at the glass door to gain entry. I waited for 2 minutes whilst the Concierge shot me intimidating glances. When he eventually troubled himself to open the door, I was required to produce my room card, name and room number before being allowed in. Other members of our party were not so fortunate, having been denied admission and forced to wait outside, whilst others were marched to their rooms and told to find ID. At all times this mans conduct was thuggish, aggressive and menacing. At no time did he give the impression he was here to help us.

Things got worse when we were later told the Bar was closing and we should move to the lobby area. The Concierge first opened the doors to let a draft in and when this didn't work told us we told were no longer welcome in the Hotel and that if we didn't go to bed, the he would throw us onto the street.

This mans conduct was astonishing and ruined the stay of a civilised and well behaved group of people. Before booking the Fitzwilliam, please consider whether you might want to return to the Hotel after midnight and whether you really want to stay at a Hotel that feels the need to handpick Belfasts most unsavoury nightclub doorman to employ as a Concierge.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank trip_dampener
GemmaConnor, Operations Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear trip_dampener,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.
I am shocked and disappointed at the events which unfolded upon returning to the hotel after an evening in Belfast. I wish to assure you that this is not the usual high standard of service which is provided by our experienced Security Personnel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience which was caused and I can assure you your comments have been noted and discussed with the relevant Managers to ensure procedures put in place to avoid any repeat.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope that this isolated incident will not deter you from returning to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast in the future.
With Kindest Regards,
Gemma
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed in the Fitzwilliam for a weekend city break (Fri 20/07/12 - Mon 23/07/12). The location was ideal, right in the centre of Belfast though you wouldn't know it once you got to your room. The hotel is next door to the Grand Opera House and just a short walk to numerous restaurants, bars, shops etc. The hotel is about five minutes walk from the bus station and the bus to Belfast Int'l airport takes about 45 mins. We booked a couple of tours with Odessey Tours (Jim is the man to speak to) they were very accommodating by picking us up from our hotel as part of the service - second to none. Again great location to be.

We arrived early but were able to store our luggage by the concierge til our rooms were ready. When we did get into our rooms - wow. Very often you see pictures of hotels on websites and they look good, but when you get there, you're a bit disappointed. Not so at the Fitzwilliam. The rooms were of a good size and very clean. The beds were a pleasure to sleep in - I almost couldn't wait to get in from our trips to enjoy the comfort! The staff were very accommodating - nothing ever seemed to be a problem for them, from making recommendations on places to visit to ensuring everything was to our satisfaction. I can't fault them at all. The only thing we didn't do was try the spa facilities - we were too busy out.

Overall, it's a great place to stay - I would recommend you book early to get a good deal. I would definitely stay there again if I visit Belfast again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Smelch
London
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Were do I start, when making the reservation i requested a double room away from the elevators, and called the hotel to make sure this was ok, On checkin i had to wait for the room which is fair as i was early' however i then reconfirmed Double away from elevator
So they took my phone num and said would call me when ready, an hour and a half shoping later i went back to the hotel, the room had been ready a while yet i got no call, I went to the room and cou,d not belive it was a twin 507 right next to the elevator. I called down and was told towait in room and concierge would come with a new key to move me, 15 minutes later i just went down, nothing done and had to wait another ten mins in reception. Got in the lift' this is 2.30pm and there is a half empty wine glass sitting the corner and the carpet neede hovered badly

The bedrooms are very good, great size and with fantastic lighting the tv is perched precariously on a small shelf and they never put the movies on despite my call, so i gave up and there are very ltd tv channels about 20 only, the room was very clean. I loved the bathrooms and the candle and match's were a nice touch, great two man bath aand walk shower and again great lighting ,cheap OR old towels though, The bed and pillows are so comfy I had a great sleep, so that is a major major plus

I went out for a late night coming back to be then greeted by three bouncers checking my details, not pleasant and not done in any other hotel i have ever stayed in.

Ok let me say here that all the staff are very friendly and helpfull in the Fitzwilliam, but they do seem to lack training

Breakfast then, I waited the door wait to be seted sign for about 10 minutes without any aknowledgement from staff, but the guy was very nice and appologised for the delay when i was eventually seated and it was very busy to be fair. Breakfast is buffet continental with cooked served to table. VERY underwhelming, palad cheap bacon slice,cheap sausauge,burnt potato bread, the orange juice was cheap, the glass,s were hot. The continental was ok nothing major.

Again the staff were so nice though so it was pity

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear rcruise00,
I am pleased to hear you found our team at The Fitzwilliam Hotel friendly and helpful however I wish to apologise that your requests were not actioned on this occassion.
We conduct thorough training for all of the staff at The Fitzwilliam Hotel and wish to assure you your comments will be communicated to the relevant Departmental Managers to address, to ensure all of our guests receive the normal high standard of service we aim to provide.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope this experience will not deter you from returning to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast in the near future.
With Kindest Regards,
Gemma
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Had been to S ireland and wanted a stopover in belfast before heading home. Central location and had everything we could ask for. Took advantage of the pillow selection and was glad as the selection was more comfortable than the ones provided. Lovely big shower, but the floor was very slippery and another grab handle for coming out would be good. A word of caution if you are visiting the Titanic exhibition, if you do not book in advance there is a long wait.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was not disappointed - 718