“Great location”

Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Sussex
“Great location”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Hotel is just off main shopping area, Cardiff Castle/Bute Park and bars / restaurants. We went to the RHS Cardiff Show which was 5 minutes walk away. There is an NCP car park right opposite and the hotel can stamp your card so you receive a 20% on the costs. Room was lovely - high celings, modern but comfy, space to move around and all you needed. Bathroom all new and great. We did not hear any hotel noise (there is a night club somewhere) and just heard road traffic noise in the morning from about 6.30am. Ask for a quiet room when booking perhaps? Only had breakfast - great. All staff were helpful and friendly. We did not use spa, leisure areas or bar as we were out elsewhere

Room Tip: Good for business and leisure
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank glugSussex
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nearly all plus points.I only booked the day before I visited, and requested a quiet upper room floor at the back, and that is exactly what I got, we had a good night's sleep.The room and bathroom were modern, and were very clean.Check in was friendly and efficient. Good variety at breakfast, staff once again friendly and efficient.Very good position only couple of hundred yards from main shopping area, next door to the theatre.NCP car park directly opposite,with a discount for hotel users.
Two small niggles.We only went for a weekend, so did not have much luggage.If we had been travelling round and had large suitcases, there would not have been sufficient room in the room for them.The safe did not work, because the second digit did not register when typed in.
Dinner in the restaurant was good, and there was plenty of space in the bar for a pre dinner drink.
Overall an enjoyable stay,would recommend

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paddyk46
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Lovely hotel, yes it's pricey but you get what you pay for. Rooms large and light as you would expect, bathrooms perfectly acceptable. I visited on a hen weekend with my daughter. We ate as a group at lunch time on Saturday and the food was extremely good. Check in was very frustrating as we had booked for a spa day and had back massages arranged for 3.00 pm. However, our rooms were not ready at 2.00 pm so there was an immense rush when we did get our rooms to get ready for the spa. Surely this should have been a more relaxing start to the weekend! The main downside is the trip over the road to the car park as the hotel does not have one of its own and the cost for an overnight stay is exorbitant. I would have thought the hotel chain could have negotiated much better discounts for guests. Oh, and if you're a light sleeper, don't have a room at the front as this looks out directly over the pubs and clubs which are open until 3 or 4.00 am.

Room Tip: Don't have a front room if you are a light sleeper, especially if it is a weekend and you need p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lauran1902
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have been here a few times for dinner and the food is excellent, the service non-intrusive and the atmosphere relaxing. Also, used to be a health clud member and the facilities here are great especially the clorine free swimming pool.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Newport
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I have never had such a bad experience in a hotel particularly one which charges so much and I had hoped would provide a really good experience. There were two wedding receptions going on and the music from one of them reverberated through my room until midnight making it impossible to sleep. Other members of my family were in rooms in a different part of the hotel where this was not a problem. After the music finished until four in the morning I was woken repeatedly by drunken guests shouting and slamming doors. The interconnecting door between my room and the next meant I had the pleasure of listening to my neighbours conversation from three in the morning until they decided to go to sleep half an hour later. Despite complaining nothing was done. The next morning I left early not eating the breakfast I had paid for as I was desperate to get home to sleep. I complained at the desk to be told I couldn't see a manager and to fill in a comments card! Absolutely appalling and an upsetting waste of money

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank SiobhanWaterfor... M
ParkPlazaCardiff, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Park Plaza Cardiff and
I sincerely apologise for our shortcomings during your visit with us.Firstly, may I express how disappointed I was to hear that you had been disturbed throughout your stay by music from the function room and from other guests. We do carry out regular floor checks throughout the day and night to ensure that guests won’t be disturbed by extreme noise levels.

I also would like to apologise that upon checkout your concerns were not handled to our usual high standards. We do ask guests to fill out guest comment cards to enable us to gather feedback regarding their stays, however on this occasion I do agree that a Manager should have spoken with you, so that the issues could have been discussed and I have discussed your comments with my team members.

Once again, may I thank you for your feedback and if you choose to stay with us in the future, I hope we can exceed your expectations.