“Nice hotel - would stay again”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #13 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 1 May 2012

1 Negative - Carpark!!! Arrived at hotel just after 2pm and the hotel carpark was packed, we have a Jaguar XF so quite a big car and trying to negoitate the rows was really difficult. There were no spaces and we couldn't get out without a card so I had to leave my husband and go to reception to obtain a ticket. There was a massive queue for check-in and 15 minutes later I got to the front (my husband waiting in car all this time) the male receptionist gave me directions to the short stay and warned me not to leave car on road as get broken into all the time - not a good first impression. Anyway by this time my husband arrived by my side and had got a space as someone had left. Problem solved.
We then went to check in and they couldn't find my reservation, I had proof and thankfully after a search the guy had been spelling our surname wrong so again problem solved. For the inconvenience we were giving an upgrade on our room.
Fantastic room - was really big L shape with glass walls on 2 sides, lovely big bathroom. Large flat screen, dressing gown, lots of wardrobe space and nice refreshments.
We had a snack in the bar for lunch which was nice and then had a 3 course meal in the main restaurant that evening, also remained for breakfast the following day.
All the food we had was lovely, maybe a little pricey but expect that in hotels. They also have a really nice wine selection. The restuarant and bar staff couldn't have been more helpful and the chef even cooked me up a specific steak sauce that wasn't on the menu.
We didn't use the spa facility so cannot comment, was quite a few hen nights in that seemed to be using this, they were a bit loud but that doesn't bother us, we didn't hear them in our room.
We would definitely return to this hotel again and hopefully they can sort the carpark issue out, maybe put in a pay machine so people don't have to traipse to reception and widen the spaces.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Mercure Holland House. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

With regards to the car park, we do have a scan facility at the exit for cars entering that are unable to find a space, the ticket issued on arrival can be scanned at the exit if within twenty minutes of entry. We also now have the overflow car park on Knox Road for guests to park in should our car park be full.

Rooms Division Manager

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

The hotel and all facilities are great and look lovely which is what you want when your staying a top cardiff hotel, but the staff are appalling!
I had a massage in the spa and i was not very impressed, i paid for the 25minute back massage but only actually had 15minutes of massage. i felt they wanted me out quickly to get the next one in. They also didn't use any couch roll and the towels looked very grubby! So i was not impressed with the standards in the spa at all. there were so many people waiting around the spa and in the relaxation room and too many staff standing round doing nothing!
The spa looks fabulous but again let down by the fact the staff aren't very friendly and think that everything is too much trouble!
The parking around the hotel is awful so not a great start to anyone's trip, all car parks in the area are quite expensive but atleast theres more room!
This hotel is very central to cardiff city centre so its a great location, shame about everything else!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yasmin S

Dear Guest,

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us a Holland House Cardiff. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. Please could you forward your details to Michelle Willmott, Spa Manager, on h6622-th@accor.com and she can look into this matter personally for you regarding your spa treatment.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel last weekend as part of a hen night package, it is advertised as a 4 star hotel and the facilities mainly live up to this, however I have had better service in a travel lodge. The staff behind the front desk were extremely rude, laughing at me when I enquired about getting a taxi to a bar saying 'you could spit on it from here' he then proceeded to give us incorrect directions.
The bar manager was no better,after ordering some drinks and registering a card with the front desk he refused to take the drinks over to our table deslipte there being a sign up stating it was table service, he also didnt print the correct docket which menat on check out we had to return to the front desk four times to try and settle the bill, again the desk staff (this time a female) was extremely rude and we were made to feel it was our fault and that £50 would be on hold from the account until they 'had time' to look for the missing docket. On our way home we recieved a call stating the bar manager had not had the docket signed so we couldnt be charged and it was his error.
The rooms were clean and had all the amenities you would expect,if a little cold. The pool area is basic but nice enough, steam room was out of order but thats just unfortunate.
The hotel is in a central location and has the potential to be a really good but the staff have really let it down and as this was a surprise for a friend I was left very disapointed that it didnt live up to our expectations.

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the lifts as they are very noisy
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Holland House Cardiff appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issues that you raised. Please accept our apologies for the confusion with regards to taxi's into the city centre. We try to advise guests that the town is only a five minute walk away as unfortunately due to the one way system in the city, taking a taxi into town from the hotel can be expensive as the taxi has to drive around the edge of the city.

Again, apologies for the confusion with the drinks on your account as we were trying to ensure that the correct charges were located for your room. Please feel free to call me on 02920 435000 or email me on h6622-rd@accor.com to discuss further.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Have been wanting to try out the Holland House for some time now so did a one night stay whilst visiting Cardiff on a theatre break.

Comments regarding parking etc made by previous contributors are valid - the spaces are very restricted especially when people park inconsiderately! Took us about 20 minutes to extract our car from the parking space.

Our room on 11th floor was adequate if a little impersonal but, apart from self starting air conditioning and mean coffee/tea supplies, reasonable. The biggest issue for us was lack of hot water in the morning - 9.30 am Saturday morning and not enough to run a bath or shower ....... not good enough particularly as the hotel wasn't full!

Requested a quiet room and were satisfied with position of room to accommodate this had it not been for two adjacent rooms being occuped by four females who used the corridor as a place to make telephone calls and exchange make up tips ......... Difficult for a hotel to pre-empt and/or deal with but irritating to say the least!

Check in and check out both efficient if a little brusque. No offer of a key card each (there were two of us!) and no offer of opening an account to charge items to our room.

Check out staff should perhaps be encouraged to ask guests if everything was alright with their stay - again this didn't happen and reception wasn't particularly busy when we left. Leaves one with a feeling of dis-interest in guest comfort generally.

Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matters that you mentioned. Unfortunately we encountered a problem with one of our boilers during the weekend with the excessive wind and bad weather which resulted in the boiler to trip out for a very short time. Feel free to email me on h6622-rd@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This hotel is lovely. The rooms are big and clean. The pool is really nice. Shame the steam room was out of order, but these things happen.

All I will say is that the staff here are SO rude and unaccommodating!!

We asked a member of staff to book us a taxi whilst we checked our bags in etc. When we had had a nosey round the rooms and dumped our bags, we went back to the lobby and I asked about a taxi, and he said "Urrr it'll be a 30 minute wait" so we asked how far it was to walk to the place we were going. He said "well, you can SPIT on that place from this hotel, its so close!" What a patronising little boy!! We asked directions. He gave us directions and told us it was opposite Peacocks. We wander down the centre of Cardiff. Got to Peacocks. No sign of the bar we were going to. Turns out it was a lot further down. It was a 20/25 minute walk. Not exactly taxing, but not as close as he described (baring in mind we have people of all ages with us!).

The breakfast was really good!! Buffet! I enjoyed it.
But waitresses were trying to grab plates away from you while you were still eating!! Leaning across tables to grab plates from my friend who had only just finished her dinner.

The facilities etc were great, but felt I needed to post about the staff as they were appalling!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at the Holland House. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the hotel staff. Rest assured we are addressing this with the staff members concerned and I can assure you that this is not a regular occurence. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon to demonstrate this.