“Lovely pool and spa”

Ranked #44 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Wales
“Lovely pool and spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed here for just one night on DBB. There are 3 locations for rooms in this hotel, the old building, the newer extension and the garden rooms. We were allocated a room in the old building which had a rather quirky layout but was large, clean and had all you would expect of a 4* hotel except this is a 3* hotel. It's just obvious it is an old building with uneven creaky floors and windows that probably don't open. But despite the terrible wind and rain on that night the windows didn't rattle, but the one radiator did so we switched it off.

The spa is really lovely and we had an excellent massage and enjoyed the pool, spa bath and steam room.

There is a computer with printer for guests to use just up the stairs from reception free of charge.

The dinner and service was very good and the dinning room and lounge are very in keeping with the country house character. The food for breakfast was good with lovely large mushrooms, but was served in the Ball room which made it a little strange and unorganised.

The hotel is tired in parts but we found all the staff to be helpful and we enjoyed our stay and wish the weather hadn't been so bad so that we could have enjoyed the pleasant surroundings.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed for 2 nights on business on the dinner, bed and breakfast rate. I received a friendly welcome at reception and was asked if I required a table booking for dinner or any newspapers etc. for my room. The downstairs area of the hotel is lovely, very clean and well decorated. There is a dining room, a seperate bar area with seating and a lounge area with fire. When I got to my room I was pleasantly suprised. It was a decent size with brand new carpets and elegant decor throughout. The bathroom was big and luxurious looking with a huge wall mirror, a power shower and plenty of complimetary toiletries. I cannot fault the cleaning of the room or bathroom, it was spotless. I had a flat screen tv in my room with freeview and a view over the gardens.
I did not have an iron in my room and asked at reception, within 5 minutes an iron and ironing board were brought to my room. I wanted some water and reception were more than happy to deliver water to your room without charge.
Dinner was served from 7pm, the dinner included with the room is a three course meal and there was a choice of about five dishes for each course. The first thing that stood out to me was the customer service, on both nights I received a friendly service and nothing was too much trouble for the waitress and she obliged with my requests for extra sauces etc without any fuss. I ordered wine and service was very quick. The food was lovely, much more what I would have expected in a 4 star hotel, it was well presented and fresh. I guess if I was going to be super fussy, I had a lamb steak one night and I was not asked how I would like it and received it rare. I prefer lamb well done so feel it would have been nice to be asked and also to have received a steak knife with it as I only was provided with a normal knife.
Breakfast was lovely, again a very friendly waitress on both mornings. A selection of pastries, croissants, meat and cheese, cereal and fruit as well as juices on the buffet table. There was a selection of hot foods including your full English, Kippers etc. which was cooked to order along with toast and tea or coffee. I felt there was a lovely atmosphere in the dining room, again I was blown away by the level of customer service provided by the waitresses.
There is a gym and pool, I did not use either to be able to comment but was told by my colleague that they are very nice.
I stay away a lot on business and am normally placed in 4 star hotels. I was very sceptical with being put in a 3 star especially after some of the previous reviews. However, they have clearly put a lot of effort into addressing these issues as I could not find fault.
Clean, elegant and spacious, delicious and well presented food, but for me the customer service blew me away. This is the best hotel I have stayed in of all my business trips and has exceeded any of the 4 star hotels I have visited. It is very rare I am this uncritical about a hotel so I can only give praise where its due and recommend them to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Bothwell South Lanarkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent a very enjoyable few days over Easter at the St Mellons Hotel in South Wales.

The young, enthusiastic and very personable management team and pleasant staff, made our holiday.

The dining room is elegant, yet provided a relaxed environment where we enjoyed the beautifully prepared and presented cuisine.

St Mellons has excellent leisure facilities and is within easy access to a wide range of other interesting activities.

We look forward to our next visit and hope St.David's, a tastefully decorated en-suite bedroom, with a very comfortable bath is availabe.

Look no further for comfortable accommodation, excellent food, very good service and pleasant surroundings, all at a very competitive price!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: St David's room is spacious, tastefully decorated and has a spacious en-suite with separate bath...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Brendamcf
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights whilst on business in and around Cardiff, The hotel is within easy reach of the M4 and is good value for money.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and even wrote out directions in to Cardiff city centre! The room was clean and spacious, although it does feel in need of a bit of TLC now.
I used the gym every evening that i was here, it is well equiped but does tend to get very busy from about 5pm! The pool is of good size and well maintained.
I ate in the hotel bar and the food was really good quality, and fresh, the Chicken curry is a must!
The hotel did appear to have staffing issues one afternoon as when i got to the hotel at 3:30pm my room hadnt been serviced, on returning from the gym a couple of hours later the room still hadnt been serviced! Spoke to the lad who was cleaning the rooms and he was very apologetic as he was workin on his own!
Even though it ws advertised i couldnt recieve the free wifi in my room (204) and the receptionist did ay that the signal was a bit hit and miss.
Breakfast was good although i did have to wait to get served a couple of mornings.
Would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for a room in the main house!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Philw1970
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights last week whilst I was working in Cardiff, the hotel is just 2 miles from E. Cardiff park and ride. The room (102) was very spacious, comfortable and clean and the furniture was much in keeping with the Edwardian building. It was at the front of the hotel and overlooked the beautiful grounds. Wifi didn't reach this room but I was quickly given an ethernet cable which worked fine.

Breakfast choice was extremely good and on 2 mornings cooked to order, the others buffet style. We ate in the bar each night and really enjoyed our meals. On the last night I was able to have the vegetarian option from the restaurant menu in the bar and the price was reduced by £6.

All the staff we met were welcoming and helpful and we'd happily stay here again on business or for leisure.

Room Tip: Room 102 is on the ground floor and faces east, lovely and sunny in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joyce M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
3.1 km away
3.5 km away
Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Campanile Hotel Cardiff
#45 of 76 in Cardiff

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK