“Nice Little Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Leicester, England
“Nice Little Hotel”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We visited Cardiff for a day and decided to try the Hilton Hotel in the city centre right opposite the Cardiff Castle. We got there just before 10.00pm and we were met by a nice Polish gentleman. As he was checking us in, the manager on duty interupted and sent him off to get a box of envelopes which we thought was a bit odd. Anyway, after a 5 minute wait, the manager came to us and apologised and completed the check in process and showed us our room.
The room was clean but the aircon/heater was not working, so we called back to the reception and they advised that they will send someone to look at it. We waited for about 20 minutes and called them again, only to be told that they were aware of the faulty ventilation system but they couldn't get an engineer to us until the next morning, alternatively they could come up and open the window for us. Believe it or not it was a cold freezing night. We strongly objected and demanded a new room or a refund to check out that very night.

To be fair they managed to move us into a better room and we had a comfortable night. Breakfast the following morning was very good, the black pudding was cooked to perfection and the restaurant staff were particularly nice.

The hotel has a swimming pool and a gym and to be honest the location is perfect as everything is within a walking distance. Will I go back to this Hotel? yes.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the castle, it could be at a premium price though
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LizLeicester
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 17 March 2012 via mobile

Seeing this hotel is a 5 star I thought my room as a little on the shabby side, generally the hotel is nice, during the 2 days I was staying at this hotel I can back from having a look around Cardiff, when I'm not working I tent dress relaxed so as I walked back in I said hi to the door man and didn't really get a response back, said hi to reception and again I got a look like I didn't really belong and then I said hi to what I imagin was the duty manager, I was then asked if I was staying in the hotel, to which I replayed yes. An hour later I had to go to work, they have valet parking so you have to get them to bring your car around, and when they brought the £60,000 Merc CLS I was driving round there entire attitude changed towards me, the following day I had no problems like the 1st but should a car change this?

I stay in many hotels and this is not close to the worse service I have received but I did anoy me a little.

Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Ben S
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you for your review of the hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read your feedback regarding your welcome greeting at the hotel and I would like to assure you that this is certainly not indicative of our normal service.

I do hope that despite your experience on this occasion, we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel and restoring your faith in the Hilton Cardiff.

Kind regards
Louisa Stride
PA to General Manager
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed for one night on business. I found my room spacious, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a walk-in shower. The television was a nice size and the tea & biscuit options delish. Didn't go to the fitness centre but it looked nice as well.

I ate dinner in the little bar and was impressed with the price and quality of the food. My room included breakfast which is a lovely buffet where you are spoiled for choice. I chose to sit outside where you can look right at the castle while enjoying your meal. The service all around was fantastic.

Location is great - right next to the castle, shops, and restaurants. I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Cardiff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Your feedback is really welcome and will of couse be shared by everyone in the Hilton team.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal in our Razzi Restaurant and took advantage of the great view of Cardiff Castle.

Looking forward to your next visit !
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Yes it's Hilton and has a Health Club with a good size pool, but it's not easy to access, has miserable views, dull rooms, parking is offsite and so is inconvenient and I object at having to pay to park when I've paid to stay at any hotel.

The staff were friendly enough but breakfast was nothing special and half of the restaurant had already been laid for lunch at 10 am and was closed off so that guests had little choice of where to sit and were all on top of each on one side. We'll try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Any room that has a view of something other than the roofs of buildings opposite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian F
I would like to thank you for your recent feedback on our hotel.

I was really concerned to hear that you were disappointed with your visit on this occasion. Our Hilton breakfast is very popular with guests and visitors to the hotel and I am very sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion.

Our Valet Car Parking is available to assist guests with their vehicles and allow them to simply check in to the hotel when they arrive.

I do hope that despite your experience on this occasion we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and restoring your faith in our hotel.

Kind regards
Louisa Stride
PA to General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed only one night at this Hilton, a lovely hotel very convenient to Cardiff Castle (across the street), the Cardiff National Art Museum ( two blocks away), and hight street shopping behind the hotel.

As a Hilton Honors loyalty member, I had access to the cozy Executive Lounge (over looks the Castle--wonderful view). But I think I would have preferred a full breakfast buffet in the ground floor restaurant, for more selection and variety.

Staff were friendly and accommodating. Room had two double beds, wonderfully large bathroom with walk in shower and also a bathtub, lovely toiletries and tea/coffee making station with cookies and lots of choices for teas and instant coffee.

• Stayed March 2012