“Will Stay Here Again”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is the place to stay if you want to be in or near the city center. Initially I was apprehensive about the location being so near the clubs on Greyfriars but there was no need to worry, the Hilton was quiet. We chose a room with a castle view for an additional $10 daily and it was worth it. The executive room offered complimentary breakfast, tea and in the evening cocktails and canapes. All of these treats were located in a lounge with a delightful view of the city. The reception was lovely and the staff were genuinely warm and helpful. The only drawback was the mattresses were a bit more firm than I like. A small price to pay for an overall great experience. I anticipate returning to Cardiff in the summer and will certainly stay at the Hilton again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the castle view from your executive bedroom and the complimentary canapes and refreshments from our Executive Lounge. It is always pleasing to read such lovely feedback regarding the service from the hotel team and this is something that will be shared.

I have also noted your comments concerning the mattress in your bedroom and please do let us know before your next stay and our Housekeeping team will be more than happy to add an additional mattress topper or cover to the bed.

I look forward to your visit here with us in the Summer.

Kind regards
Louisa Stride
PA to General Manager
Hilton Cardiff

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We arrived late one evening and our reception was very friendly and helpful.We found the rooms spotlessly clean and the beds the most comfortable we have ever slept in-there was no noise either.The swimming pool was excellent.Breakfast was superb.When I next go to Cardiff I will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

It is really great to read your review of our hotel following your recent overnight stay.

It is always pleasing to see that you found our Reception Team to be most helpful and this is something that they take great pride in. I am happy that you enjoyed the swimming pool within our Livingwell Health Club and had a comfortable night's sleep.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards
Louisa Stride
PA to General Manager

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were fortunate enough to stay in an executive suite and have access to the executive lounge - it was all worth it! Pool & facilites were fab, staff were excellent -nothing too much trouble. Highly recommend, if its in your price range. Only short walk into the city centre and right opposite the Castle with views of the keep and up to Castell Coch! ( Went to see Strictly Live and found some of the celebs were staying here too ;) )

Room Tip: get a room with view of castle!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This Hotel is in a great location, spotlessly clean and the service is polite, but that's where the praise ends.
Terrible outdated decor and furniture in the rooms. Tired dark blue curtains with matching pelmet from the 80's. Shower which went from cold to luke warm at best.
I also had some problems getting a missing tv remote control replaced. I had to speak to them 3 times (11am, 4pm & 6pm) before maintenance finally got onto it (They did however leave a bottle of wine as an apology).
There's no free wifi anywhere in the hotel (even McDonald's has free wifi).
On the morning of checkout they pushed the bill for their ludicrously overpriced bar under my door.
I personally found that quite rude.
I hadn't forgotten and don't leave anywhere without settling my bill!
Hilton's are still trading on a reputation they certainly don't deserve any more. Disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stay at a great many hotels both in the U.K & abroad but this stands out as exceptionally poor. Paid for room inclusive of dinner, bed & breakfast. Food was very poor, (1st course) Scallops for starter were raw both for my wife & myself. (2nd course) My beef main course was good but whilst my wifes fish was ok the rissotto served with it was disgusting & completely inedible. (3rd course) My wifes semifredo was actually solid so not exactly as described, more of an ice lolly and my Creme brule had the consistency of soup & was served with a stale soft biscuit. Drinks are nothing short of robbery (£30+ for wines that would cost you between £4.50 & £9.00 in a supermarket, whilst you expect to pay well over the odds this is just a bad joke) Room was nice but with very poor sound insulation street noise stopped us getting to sleep until gone 2.30am. Breakfast o.k but not great & coffee probably the worst I have ever had. We didn't pay for upgrade to castle view because we know Cardiff well & what you are paying for is actually a view of a few lanes of traffic & a wall that surrounds the castle. Terrible, completely overpriced & a complete rip off.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple