“Ideal for a special occasion”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Hereford
“Ideal for a special occasion”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here and all in all, we were very impressed. Things didnt start off to good for me as my choice of clothing ( shorts and t shirt ) didnt seem to impress the front desk staff. The room itself was clean and spacious with amazing views of the bay from the window and balcony. The spa area, although smaller than I expected was very relaxing and enjoyable. My wife and I thought the breakfast ( £12 each if pre booked or £20 each if you turn up without booking ) was an absolute bargain for the amount of choice that was avaliable, and it was also very fresh. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the bar and restaurant area of the bay with very easy bus link to the city. As a special occasion the hotel with the spa is probably worth it, but I have stayed in other hotels in Cardiff for a lot less money and similar standard of room

• Stayed February 2012
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments have been shared with the team. I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.
Graeme Barclay
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I wanted a romantic break with my wife, so I paid a premium for a Deluxe room. When we arrived at the hotel we were given a room which was exactly the same as a standard room, it was dull, plain, soulless white room, nothing like the beautiful furnished room shown on the Expedia and on their own website. When we asked about it, we were told that those are newly refurbished rooms and they don’t have any left. The websites gave the impression that all Deluxe rooms are beautifully furnished, but in effect we got a standard room when we paid for the Deluxe, which is just wrong. They shouldn’t con people in this way.

We didn’t get the Welsh cakes and a newspaper the following morning that we were supposed to get as part of the Deluxe room package. We didn’t ask for it, but we shouldn’t have to ask for something that we already paid for. I don’t even think we got luxury toiletries, the toiletries were the same that you always get in other hotels.

After reading about all the bad reviews on tripadvisor about their breakfast service (queuing for a table, buffet food running out, hot food not arriving etc), we choose not to spend the £18.95 per person and take a chance on their breakfast. Instead we went to the excellent Mimosa restaurant on Cardiff bay and had a fantastic breakfast for £6.

Also the walk to the hotel from the bay at night in February was quite scary. The roads were dark with no-one else around.

We also stayed at Park Plaza while we were in Cardiff, which was in a complete different league to St David’s. The room was beautiful, breakfast was amazing and we had a quiet room overlooking the city hall and the national museum. We regret not staying at Park Plaza the full time that we were in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Don’t go for the Deluxe room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night when I proposed to my fiancee. We had a balcony room, and it was lovely. The view was spectacular from the balcony so that's where I popped the question!
The bathroom was great, wasn't as clean as I'd like, but still a decent standard. The king sized bed was just two single-ish beds pushed together, and wasn't all that comfortable. Other than that, the room was huge and very nice. I think the place should have a full refurb to get it back up to the standard that it used to be.
My fiancee spent the whole day at the spa and said she had some great treatments, but the chill out room was freezing and very small, so there was constantly a fight for a place to sit. The pool area was nice, but was full of kids. Jacuzzi was nice, and so was the sauna, but again unaccompanied kids kept running in and out of both the sauna and steam room.
Like I said, a great hotel, but it does need a bit of an update.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. In the first instance many congratulations to you and your fiancee on your recent engagement! I am delighted you chose St David's as the special venue.
I have noted your further comments and would urge you to speak to a member of the team should you have any issues as we will always endeavour to rectify any situation immediately. Just to confirm, children's swim times are restricted to certain times of the day and children are not permitted in the sauna.
Thanks again for your comments and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you both back in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I haven't visited this hotel since it was a Rocco Forte hotel and now it's owned by Principal Hayley who have rather let things slide. Other reviews here point to the cracked leather furniture and green slime on all the balcony dividers. The salt spa pool that was a major feature last time we came is now quite heavily chlorinated instead of salt meaning that using the hydro jets or spa pool leave your eyes burning, but presumably needs less regular cleaning. We ordered some tea and cofee via room service which took twenty five minutes to come and meant we could have walked down and ordered it ourselves at the bar in half the time.
The last time we came there was valet parking and a concierge to show you to your room neither of which was there this time. The restaurant used to be amazing, but this time looked a bit uninspiring and we opted to walk across to Mermaid Quay.
A lot of this sounds like nit-picking, but a hotel that bills itself as 5 star really needs to go that bit further to justify its price. It's now a very good four star hotel rather than five.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank samrad999
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I was very disappointed to read your comments. I can confirm that we are investing in the hotel and the hotel is under an ongoing refurbishment and maintenance programme, however you were clearly disappointed on this occasion for which I apologise. I hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the future.
Lydbrook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stayed here for 1night, lovely hotel views, not a 5 star hotel at all, I rang the hotel to see if they were child friendly and they said yes! No! There were no child's menus and no facility for warming baby food. We waited over 10 mins for drinks in the bar. Paid for a deluxe king room, I had to check it really was. Room service and reception friendliness made up for the shortfall.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Leah J
Thank you for your comments. Your perception is disappointing and I can assure you that children are very welcome at St David's. A new children's menu is being launched this week and any member of staff would be happy to warm a bottle or food for you, or provide you with hot water to do so yourself. I hope we can welcome you back in the future to restore your confidence.