“Night out”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Night out”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Fab hotel in great location, fantastic beds and breakfast is great. Business class rooms well worth the extra.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Hello, thank you so much for your recent review, I was delighted to read your comments about our location and beds, but especially pleased that you enjoyed our business class rooms and Super Breakfast buffet. Look forward to welcoming you when you next stay with us.

Sally
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We recently went to see the Strictly Come Dancing Show at the Motorpoint Arena, as we live approx 15miles from Cardiff we thought we would treat ourselves and stay overnight! The Radblu is a stone's throw from the venue so very convenient! My daughter-in-law got us business class rooms and we were very pleased with the standard. A large comfy bed, a fridge, internet etc, safe, iron and board, bathrobes and slippers, all the usual bathroom amentities that one would expect. Both rooms were very clean they were on the 14th/15th floors with nice double aspect views, I was dubious about being almost on top of the railway station but we could not hear any noise whatsoever. Tea and coffee making facilities were available with biscuits, plus a nespresso machine which is a nice touch. Did not sample the evening menu as we had booked a meal at nearby Bellini's in St Davids eating quarter (we were all pleased with our food) However I have to mention the very nice breakfast that greeted us the next morning. Having stayed at the 5* St Davids Hotel and Spa 2 weeks prior to this trip they left them traling in their wake!! Unlike the above hotel we were shown immediately to our (cleared and clean) table by extremely polite staff. Plenty of choices were on offer from juices, fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurts, toast, cheeses, meats, and of course good old full english, along with endless refills of tea or coffee.
Only one negative! one lift was out of order and it took forever to get back and forth to our rooms as the dining room was on the 1st floor it seemed endless so we did walk up but on a full stomach it is not for the faint-hearted!!
I would definitely stay here again, I cannot comment on the standard room but based on our experience I would highly recommend this hotel in terms of convenience, cleanliness and service we shall look forward to another visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank huxtable50
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I was really pleased to read your comments about our business class room which I'm sure other potential travellers will find very helpful indeed.

And I was really bowled over with your description of your breakfast experience during your stay, I have shared this with the rest of my team as this is the kind of feedback that helps us to stay motivated and achieve our high standards day after day.

Thank you too for your feedback regarding the lifts, we have a program of regular maintenance which is necessary to ensure guest safety and this can sometimes cause delays. In most cases though these are avoided and the lifts manage to service all guests effectively.

I look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Cardiff.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Easy to find, right in the city centre - we arrived by car but it's also handy for train users. Cross the road to the main shopping precinct with plentiful shopping & dining options. Friendly & efficient check-in.

The rooms are all different but the hotel will provide a fridge in your room on request. Windows don't open & the temperature control seemed rather random. No plug sockets anywhere near a mirror and the curtain doesn't actually fit all the way across the window so there's a gap at the side. Standard provision is ironing facilities, hairdryer, safe, hospitality tray, decent toiletries & good size towels in the bathroom. TV, desk & chair, separate armchair. Comfy bed but didn't like the pillows. Poor lighting in the room - lots of light sources, but all very muted, so even when they're all switched on it's still quite dark in the room.

The bathroom is well lit & has a no-mist section to the mirror, but the shower can tend to throw water all over the floor if you're not careful. Nice deep bath, but means a big step getting out again.

The restaurant serves a reasonable selection of food at breakfast & dinner, but the service is slow and the staff are not particularly attentive, especially for a hotel which classes itself so highly. The evening menu is pricey but the food, when it finally arrives, is quite good. Ate there twice. Breakfast is £15pp and buffet style - cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, meats & cheeses, bakery selection & various cooked items to choose from. They also offer a 'grab & go' but you have to ask staff for a carry-out bag & they ran out by the second day of our stay! Room service was friendly & efficient, but menu choices are limited despite the high prices. I asked for a jug of fresh milk to be sent up to my room every day and this arrived consistently and promptly.

Rooms are serviced daily & towels are changed on request. By the way, the spa which gets a mention in the hotel lobby doesn't actually exist! Nice to see they've taken any mention off their website in the meantime. Wise to use the express check-out service judging by the queues in the lobby every morning.

Of the local restaurants, we enjoyed Ruby Tuesday, Chimichanga, Thai Edge & Wagamama but not Jamie's.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. I was really pleased to note the positive comments you made regarding the convenience of our location and your dining experience with us.

I was also pleased to read your feedback regarding the room itself, in particular the lighting and the bathroom comments, this really helps us to better understand how we can improve the in room guest experience.

I am sure other guests will find your comments useful and informative when choosing a hotel in Cardiff. I look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to the city.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Went on a business trip to cardiff. Luckily, got a business class room. The room was a decent size and had a double bed. It was on 17th floor so the view was magnificent. The hotel is very close to train station and malls/High street. The only problem was that I couldn't get sleep because there was some creepy noise coming through the Bathroom wall. Whenever, someone opened a tap in the neighboring toilet, it sounded like they're in my toilet. When the neighbors closed their door it seemed like a knock on my door. At one time, I had to get out of bed and check if someone did open the door. The hotel restaurant is italian cuisine and nothing that I could understand (:)). Strangely, the room service menu was different and much easier to decipher. Only thing is that they charge for room service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review, I was delighted to read that you
enjoyed one of our Business Class rooms and enjoyed the spectacular
views. Glad too that you found our location close to the train station
and the shopping convenient. I was sorry to note your comments about
your disrupted sleep, this seems quite unusual and I if you can contact
me via email sally.hughes@radissonblu.com with your room number I will have
our engineering team investigate.

Glad that you found the room service menu to your liking, on your next
stay with us please ask our waiting staff for advice when ordering your
meal in our Filini restaurant.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The hotel itself I found to be wonderful, the Reception area was large and our bedroom was, as requested on a high floor with brilliant views. The hotel is literally across the road from one of the main shopping streets, and couldn't be in a more central location.

During our stay one of the lifts was under service for a short time - up until then we encountered no problems of waiting for the lift, however when there is only 1 we did notice a bit of wait! Not a problem though, but something worth noting if you have a lot of luggage.

Regarding parking we have found a NCP car park literally 100metres down the road (turning left at the Motorpoint rather than right for the Radisson). This car park is only £5 per 24 hours, much cheaper than the Hotel car park itself or the John Lewis across the way! It is fairly easy to navigate from the Hotel in a car back around to the car park, and so if you have a lot of luggage I would suggest pulling up outside the Hotel and letting one of your party out with your luggage!

We had a standard double room, with a huge bed but oddly square, hard pillows. Luckily we were staying for 3 nights and decided to take our own pillows. We had no problems with the air con/heating or anything else in the bedroom (small safe, fridge etc) - and the bathroom was a lovely large size, with no bad smells as often found in other hotels!

The only problems (issues) we did find was that on our second day, on arriving back at the Hotel at 2pm we noticed the room hadn't been serviced as well as the day before (the day before even the toilet roll had been neatly folded into a diamond shape, and the toothbrushes placed side by side!) - the cushions from the bed were still on the floor, and the bed had only been half tucked in with the bedside cabinet still pulled out. We didn't think much of it until a chambermaid knocked on the door to ask if the room had been serviced! We said the room had been done, as we're not particularly fussy!

We did have a problem with the room after, when two new arrivals entered the room, and were probably more embarrassed than ourselves about the situation! We reported to Reception to complain that the two had a card which apparently opened every door on our floor, to be told that was impossible! However once it was established the Receptionist did issue us with a new key and also a complimentary bottle of wine for the trouble. It was dealt with very professionally, however I do wonder how this had happened and also what would have happened had we not been in the room at the time, as we did have a lot of expensive things in the room (iPad etc).

Despite the cleaning/"intruders" we will be back, we were incredibly impressed with the room and the Hotel as a whole. For those worried about noise, I heard nothing apart from the door next door opening and closing, but no voices/TV anything!

Did not have breakfast so cannot comment.

We will be back!

Room Tip: We booked through booking.com - "best price online guarantee" - and requested a high floor...