“WOULD NOT RECOMMEND”

Laleston Inn
Price range: US$ 2 - US$ 18
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Hilary and Iain's by sea, Franklins previously, now a continental style cafe by day and bistro by night. Hilary's homemade cakes and desserts and Iain's hand cut steaks are famous.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“WOULD NOT RECOMMEND”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Haven eaten here several years ago and wasn't greatly impressed then thought we"d take my parents out for a meal with our kids and give it another go. Certainly not child friendly! The waitress was very pleasant and was the steak but everything else I'm sorry wasn't!

The menu is written on the wall and other guests have to lean over your table to read it ( VERY IMPERSONAL) , The battered onion rings looked like the oil never gets changed they were black! When my wife challenged Iain about the service he was very blunt and quite rude!

The meal was quite pricey for what it was - really wouldn't recommended this place could think of several places within in a 5 mile radius and have far better food , friendliness and a cheaper meal! Sorry.

• Visited April 2012
5 Thank sparky950
sturpscob, food business owner at Laleston Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Firstly I would lke to thank all the people who leave kind and constructive comments and give my appologies to the few that we didn't impress. To address Sparky 950. At the time of booking my wife Hilary advised your wife that this particular evening we were heavily booked and that she had concerns that we would not be able to serve you adequately in our earlybird slot at the time 6.30pm because your table was rebooked for 7.30pm, but she still reserved a table and said she understood the situation , you ordered an A' La carte meal selection which we prepare from scratch and then at 8pm when you had had your main courses you were asked vacate your table because the next booking needed to be seated which you kindly did so . Your wife asked my Restaurant Manageress to see me and although I WAS COOKING THE NEXT TABLE'S meal I popped down to see her , I appologised that if appeared brusk and didn't want to be blunt it was simply because I cook the food myself and I had another large table in the process.Your wife complained that you had been asked to vacate your table although the next reservation had already waited half an hour and that it was clearly explained to your wife when the booking was excepted there was a time limit on the reservation. Your wife then demanded a reduction in the bill because she said the service was poor; I refer to your review in which you state the waitress was very pleasant so why bad service. I asked your wife about the food and she said very nice, by the way this particular evening we used red onions for our onion rings and consequently they went very dark something we wil not be doing again , so thanks for that pointer. So on this occasion I did not concede a discount, Hence I think this may clarify the situation to our potential new clients. Also I would add that it is normal to make comment on 1 reveiw site but to splatter this grammerless verse [sorry my dear mother was an english language tutor] on all available webreveiw sites is a triffle childish. please feel free to to discuss.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Good home cooked food”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Sunday lunch is lovely with a choice of 5 meats and lots of veg.The early bird menu is also lovely,would certainly recommend.Very good value for money in a lovely old pub.Dont go if you are looking for posh decor,the plastic tablecloths didnt bother me.Ian is a wonderful cook and friendly also

1 Thank lassie37
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Family run with great food and drink”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Bit tricky to find but worth the effort. Excellent real ale and home cooked food!

1 Thank Merlin509
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Well worth the wait!”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Visited the Laleston Inn with friends for a birthday dinner. Never having heard of the restaurant, I didn't know what to expect and to be honest, I was expecting honest pub grub. The extensive selection of dishes on the menu all sounded mouth watering and seeing other diners dishes being served to their tables, I knew my meal wasn't going to be just a typical pub meal. We waited quite a time for our dishes to arrive and between courses, but I would much rather wait a long time and have great food rather than have ordinary fayre served quickly, and great food is what I got. Would highly recommend a visit if you're in the area. Best go with chatty friends as you'll have plenty of time for conversation and entertaining waiting for your food, but great things come to those who wait!

• Visited March 2012
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
“There can be no better 'Value for Money' restaurant in South Wales”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have been to the Laleston Inn many, many times. The table cloths may not be to everyone's liking and the service can be a little slow at busy times but this is more than compensated by the excellent variety, presentation and cooking of the food. The choice of dishes in the 'Early Bird' menu is superb and wonderful value for money. The intimate atmosphere in this comparatively small restaurant is delightful. Your hosts , Iain and Hilary, are always happy to receive your feedback. The one adverse comment on this site defies belief; it was clearly written by someone who has no appreciation of fine dining. If you have not yet been to the 'Lally' do so soon; you will not be disappointed!.