All reviews male voice choir overlooking the river live band beer garden a large car park friday evening hotel bar buffet breakfast bay window central location friendly hotel twin room centre of town bit dated dinas bran steam railway bar meals
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is situated in a great location , with ample parking & has great views over the river but for us that is where the great stopped.

We only stayed for 1 night but that was enough. The hotel is very dated & whilst we had a large ensuite room, we found it strange that the sink was in the bedroom & not in the bathroom. The bed was well past its sell by date & the general decor was not much better. We did have a nice view so that was good.

We went out for dinner & when we got back there was a coach party in who were watching the live entertainment in the bar & to be honest that was probably the right clientele for the hotel - as they looked in their element. If we were 30 years older we might have liked it more.

The breakfast was a big disappointment especially as there were none of the Welsh yogurts as advertised. There were a lot of staff but it was all self service & it was not obvious how to get a cup of tea. Again it probably suited the people on the coach trip but not us.

This is not somewhere that we would return to - well at least not until we are old enough to be on that coach trip!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was in Llangollen for one night to see a band at The Sun.
Booked through booking.com
Receptionist was lovely, very friendly and informative.
Room was spotless with brand new carpet & good bathroom.Must mention the mattress was fantastic, allowing a great nights sleep
Ate dinner at the hotel, menu a little limited but chose the steak and it was nicely cooked & presented.
Breakfast was buffet style but again very good.
Overall I have no problems recomending this hotel & if I find myself in Llangollen again will happily book again.
Also great value for money.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I paid a visit to the Hand for the first time in 43 years in March essentially for a quick pint and light lunch one Sunday. I arrived at 12.30 and left at 5 vowing to return to stay next time! This I duly did last week and thoroughly enjoyed my 5-night stay. My room was just what I wanted at the top of the hotel with fine views of the River Dee and Castell Dinas Bran. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fine and I had everything I needed. Breakfast was serve yourself and most enjoyable and I had bar meals each night bar one when I went out and were just the job. The hotel has live music over weekends and on Wednesdays and the local Male Voice Choir sing on Friday evenings. The very friendly staff created a great impression and I felt very well looked after and I will certainly return. Having a lifelong interest in the supernatural, I didn't find out about the ghosts until later!

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Booked for a Friday night through booking.com. As soon as we arrived they wanted payment. We were given keys to room 25 - big disaster the room looked like it was out of the 70's, very old dresser and wardrobe. The en-suite shower room had dismal lighting and a shower curtain with mold at the bottom. Finally the sash window wouldn't close properly so we could here the street noise below.
Demanded another room and was put in room 60. This was much better with a nice view of the church. Decor was still out of the 70's. We had a wash basin in our room (quaint!) and en-suite toilet & bath. But with my pet "hate" old shower curtains.
The room was clean and the hotel seems well run; its just reached that point it needs a full refurbishment, everything seemed 'tired'.
Breakfast was buffet style and was good and plentiful, also had no problem parking.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you pay and if not happy - COMPLAIN
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Stayed in Llangollen on the Friday night and decided on the spare of the moment to stay Saturday night. Only hotel with a room was the Hand.
Paid £97. The receptionist wasnt at at the desk when we arrived the cleaner had to find her. Had to pay up front.
No lift and two flights of stairs. We noted the tired carpets and 80s wallpaper going up so no surprise when we opened the door to find the same run down decor. Would have gone home if I had seen the room first.
If you have a choice go elsewhere.
It does have a car park.
The garden opposite was nice but later it attracted some very load men so we had to go indoors. A band was on that evening. We found them good but it is not everyone’s cup of tea.
They stopped at 11 o’clock.
We were over looking the car park. Had noisy people below late into the night then a 3am we had noisy people up and down the corridor outside our room.
Breakfast was ok. Buffet style. Not a great choice of fruit.
At check out wasn’t even asked if our stay was ok, I assume they must get some interesting remarks if they ask,
Will not stay again.