All reviews walled garden music room powell suite lord byron beautiful hotel single track road original features on arrival young staff wedding venue front of the house sat nav the main house wet room welsh breakfast member of staff following morning
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A group of us came to the mansion to have afternoon tea to celebrate my sister's PhD. We were slightly later than our booking and I rang ahead to apologise and say we were on our way and they were lovely about it. It has a lovely long driveway and is very scenic and then you come upon this gorgeous house which gives a very grand impression indeed. As soon as we walked towards the door a member of staff open the doors for us and welcomed us to Nanteos which was a lovely touch. He showed us to our table which was a lovely long table by the window in the main dining room. Our waiter was a chap called Matt - we named him Lovely Matt because he was lovely, full of info, didn't get annoyed when we asked him a million questions about secret passages and even found me a phone charger. It really is a lovely place, after we ate, we went into the garden, the views are amazing :)
There are a couple of things that I would recommend for Nanteos to think about in order to be even better;
1) The afternoon Teas are very impressive but when 1 person orders a champagne tea and 1 person a Gentleman's tea, bring the champagne out with the food, and let them have their own plate - I think it would be a nice touch and it makes it a bit more special.
2) The windows in the dining room are gorgeous - we all know the trouble of windows looks smeary when the sun shines through them, but they let the room down a little.
3) I ordered a bottle of sparkly water and when the drinks came, my water was given out to everyone, I had to ask for another one :(

Other than that - lovely place to visit :)

Room tip: Not sure re the rooms but the staff are amazing :) :)
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We went as a party of ten for afternoon tea on a Friday afternoon, as part of a graduation celebration. We were met at the door by the first of many lovely staff members (with particular mention for The Lovely Matt, who was our main waiter and put up with our high spirits and constant questions and mickey-taking very well - top marks!).

The tea was lovely - we ordered a variety of different afternoon teas (there is a choice of four, all slightly different from each other) and a few individual cakes and scones etc. All very tasty and exactly what we wanted! Afterwards a few of us stayed on and had cold drinks on the grass next to the house, looking out over the beautiful countryside.

The reception staff were lovely - I went out to get something from the car and ended up having a ten minute conversation as I passed.

A lovely treat in a lovely setting. I will definitely go back (and if it is a day when The Lovely Matt is working, all the better!!)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Nanteos is stunningly beautiful and expertly renovated. The staff greeted us in a warm and friendly way and the rooms were a delight. BUT. The meal was rather disappointing in that out waiter was obviously untrained, rather shabbily dressed and we waited nearly 20 minutes for our wine and had to complain The food was good and the subsequent service very good. I was not informed on booking that one of the rooms was more expensive than the other and it was this room in which the window had to be propped up with a book, the telephones did not work and neither did the bath plug nor the shaver socket. Only the bath plug was dealt with. The breakfast in a lovely kitchen was very good indeed. As this is an expensive Hotel they do need attention to detail. .

Room tip: check out the individual prices of the rooms.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We are regular visitors to this area as we have family in the town. This is the second time we have been here, and it was just as good as our first visit.
We were in the Col Powell rooms which were spacious and had the most enormous bathroom. The staff were very courteous and helpful.
Over our the course of our stay we had breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. All the meals were excellent and of a very high standard.
Would definitely recommend. We will be back next year.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

One night booked in this hotel and glad that was all! Staff were friendly and breakfast good but the room as lovely decorated as it was i was not happy with the cleanliness especially the bathroom, floor had hairs and flies on it as soon as we arrived and some hairs on bed and dressing table, I had to ask for floor to be cleaned. This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in during our wales holiday and do not think it was worth it!

3  Thank CAZA78