All reviews fish games room stable block smeg fridge luxe room farncombe estate main reception buffet style dog bed log burner fresh milk stunning location sat nav dog friendly hotel mussels brook house breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I attended the Fish Hotel for a “corporate strategy meeting”, which sounds awful but it was in fact a very productive day. Business buzzwords aside, it was in no small part helped by the impeccable service provided, and the sheer quality of the establishment.

Sadly, I didn’t get to experience the accomdation, but if the levels of service are a fraction of that we received, then it’s no wonder this venue has such an excellent reputation.

Things I can comment on are…

The design: The layout is a series of venues spread out over a wide area. Navigation was tricky, but that’s undoubtedly due to internal communications at our end! Once you're in the right place, you can't go wrong.

The service: Each and every one of the staff, from receptionist to groundskeepers, was astounding – above and beyond any expectations. Polite, helpful, respectful and friendly. I have no idea who trains them, but they do an excellent job. I can only hope and imagine they’re well paid, utterly dedicated or hold shares in the company – possibly all three.

The food: Again, the Fish Hotel shines. One of the best corporate buffets I’ve ever had, with fresh local ingredients, lovingly presented. Self-service coffee and a “sweet shop” filled with scores of old-fashioned jars of naughty traditional treats.

Dinner was also superb, eating outside in their “Eating Deck” under the heaters. The food was all excellent, from the gooey baked Camembert to the tender pork belly. There were so many dishes, I lost count (we thought the starter was the main course!) and all cooked before your very eyes in a series of charcoal-powered grills and ovens. Even in this glorified shed outside the restaurant, service was top notch.

A quick wander through the restaurant proper revealed an intriguing and clearly well-thought-out ‘normal’ evening menu, and a wine cellar to put top London restaurants to shame. Even the toilets were impressive, and I don’t think I often review that sort of thing!

The location: Set in the dramatic Cotswolds, the views from the various parts of the venue are utterly beautiful, and the warm glow of the golden stone lends an almost ethereal air to the region – even when you’re sat in a slick chrome and glass conference room.

At the risk of repeating myself, I can’t praise the staff enough for their levels of refined and dignified customer care. Everything about this place reflects the top quality they’re clearly striving for, and easily reaching beyond.

When budget allows, I would certainly shortlist The Fish Hotel for a short local break… got to love posh tree houses.

Note: Even with the "official" postcode, some Sat Navs will take you to a private road with a no entry sign, which ironically tells you to enter the postcode you've just followed to get there. Take note of the travel instructions posted on their website rather than relying on your GPS!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
5  Thank Doctor_When
FarncombeEstate1, General Manager at The Fish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

This has been an absolute pleasure for me to read, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Whilst I'm obviously delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of your visit your comments regarding the team are the most pleasing for me. I am very fortunate to have such a dedicated bunch that work tirelessly to ensure all guests feel welcome and wanting to return. I'll make sure that all involved see your review.

Thank you once again and I very much hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

A beautiful place to stay Hilly Hut 3 was amazing.
With stunning unbroken views of the countryside.
The restaurant was fantastic which is wonderfully decorated matched with attentive service through out the venue a warm welcome fine wines and great food awaits any guest wishing to stay at the Fish.
We will be back soon.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chefsheridan2018

Thank you for your review, I'm really pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope we can welcome you back. Hut 3 is a personal favourite of mine also - delighted you enjoyed those views!

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

I always struggle to find a family friendly place that isn’t crazy busy and full of other families but The Fish strikes a perfect balance between family friendly but giving you the space, privacy and also keeping that little bit of luxury.

The treehouses are perfect if you want to escape from it all with the main clubhouse only a short walk away, we had a two bedroom cabin so the little one could go to bed and we had the lounge to ourselves. The food delivery options are limited (pizza in the evening and a continental breakfast in the morning) but both were lovely and the staff are so friendly and willing to go above and beyond to make your stay relaxing. Plus the children’s play park on site is a nice bonus.

We loved our little trip and will be back!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma T

Hi Emma,

I'm so pleased that the tree house worked so well for your break and you enjoyed your visit to us.

I take your comments on board regarding choice of food in-room. We'll be looking at this offering shortly.

I hope to see you all again.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

We spent 3 nights at the hotel, 2 in a medium room and 1 night in the treehouse. The treehouse was well worth the upgrade. The dogs are welcome in every area except the restaurant, which wasn't a problem for us as you can eat breakfast or your evening meal, with your dog, in the bar area. The dog friendly rooms are very clean and you could not tell they were dog rooms, as we know some people (not us) like to have their dogs on beds, sofas etc. Dog Bins are allocated in great areas throughout the estate and a lovely big field for early morning/late night wee's. In your room you are left a dog bed, dog bowl, dog toy, dog treat, dog towel - just lovely. Staff are so friendly, dog lovers too and so efficient, We could not complain about any aspect of our stay and will stay again, longer next time. As we have dogs, this is a great hotel for us, however I have strongly recommended the hotel to friends without dogs and also friends with children.

The décor and design throughout the resort, is just beautiful and blends so peacefully with the surrounding countryside.
Great place to stay, thanks for making our few nights away so memorable

Room Tip: I would recommend a treehouse upgrade for at least 1 night, we will stay in a treehouse again, but longer next time.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KarenChris_12

Thank you so much for your review and we were delighted to host you for a few nights. I'm delighted you were able to move to a tree house and that you enjoyed your time with us.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

Fantastic hotel with lovely spacious rooms, beautiful views and attentive staff whom made our stay at the hotel all the more worthwhile.
The grounds are lovely to wander, as are the surrounding areas with maps/wellies/raincoats provided at no extra expense if you fancy some pleasant country walks.
Would definitely recommend and would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.