All reviewsfishgames roomstable blocksmeg fridgeluxe roomfarncombe estatemain receptionbuffet styledog bedlog burnerfresh milkstunning locationsat navdog friendly hotelmusselsbrook housebreakfast and dinner
Reviewed 21 April 2016

We booked two nights mid week at the Fish as a little getaway for me and my Fiancée last week. We arrived to great service, all staff we approached were attentive and friendly, we checked into our room which was gorgeous - very modern/rustic and very clean. The view from the room was stunning, even had dear's running past one day! Unfortunately this amazing place was really let down by the food! We ate one night in the restaurant, had great service but my food was soaked in olive oil (both starter and main) which I hate, my fiancée really didn't like his starter and his pork was mostly all fat! the couple who were sat next to us were do dissatisfied with their food they asked for their food to be returned and asked for their money back! Was really disappointing after an amazing day! Breakfast was nice enough but I would have appreciated more options. Overall had a lovely time but the food really let it down!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 20 April 2016

If you want an excellent Sunday lunch, with a perfect, welcoming, relaxed family surroundings, you have to try The Fish. Children are more than welcomed, and there is ample areas for them to wonder about in complete safe surroundings.
The selection was great, the presentation reminded me of special Sunday lunches at home. Ample meat, good selection of vegetables, and if you are like me, and you love your Yorkshire pudding!!! You get it with any roast!! Not just the BEEF EATERS!!!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

As other reviews said ( and a review in the guardian) avoid the restaurant as its overpriced and not that good. Well we arrived much later than intended and so were glad to have the option of eating there but it is overpriced, portions are small and uninteresting, but of course the restaurant is handy. The place is quite a bit out of Broadway and so after a long journey......
Anyhow we stayed in the stables, dog freindly, lovely ground floor rooms. The rooms are really well thought out and of a high standard. The place feels a little bit like a conference centre, but given the high standard of accommodation, really it's a good place to stay, for an overnight stop enroute with a dog - easy country walks nearby. it's quite new and they are clearly trying to identify their client base. If the food in the evening were more varied and more reasonably priced this place would get 5 stars, but with all the feedback nothing seems to have changed on that front. Next time definitely plan to eat elewhere.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christinaco
Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

Perfect family get together in every way, although we plan to go back as a couple. Wholesome experience with perfect service, phenomenal food and lovely decor. V reasonable. Beautiful area too. We advise to explore the other 2 hotels on the estate.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Stuart H
Reviewed 12 April 2016

I stayed with my other half for three nights. we had dinner on the first night and the waiting staff wasn't very friendly. My BF had a steak, he asked for it to be medium rare and came out medium to well! my lobster was very dry and rubbery. we retired in the lounge and had a drink by the bar. we wanted to play pool and use the games room but forget it, it's full of kids and the next day it was empty, the pool table was already broken so we couldn't play anyway! the room is nice and clean. very chic inside and nice shower facilities. very spacious but the only downfall is, they forgotten the newspapers the next morning! We heard another guest was complaining and asking where theirs had gone too? also, the room next door were very loud. we had the worst breakfast on our first morning as we had to wait for our food for half an hour as the waitress forgotten to put it though (all other guests who arrived after us have already eaten and left!) I kept trying to get the waitress' attention ( older lady) and she just looked at me and completely blanked me. when she finally took our order again, she mentioned that they forgot to put it though so they need to take an order again! ( not very apologetic!) bear in mind, we have two more breakfast to deal with this. we had full English and the scramble eggs is very watery and salty the first (younger) waitress finally apologised as we were leaving! It's probably best if they have it as a buffet breakfast rather than waiting staff as it confuses the staff on what table number the order is for! we asked the reception on how to get to Broadway and she told us it's easier to walk and follow the trail (beware! it's very muddy) and they wont tell you that so you better wear your wellies. As we dont want another bad meal on our weekend away, we decided to ask the reception if they can book us a dinner at the Dormy House Hotel. They advise that we can do it ourselves but they never mentioned that there's a lift that they offer other guest to and from the hotel. We ended up driving there and one of us was only drinking then. the staff are very unhelpful. they could have provided us with more information and help.when we checked out. they didn't even asked how was our stay or not even a smile! oh what a shame :-(

Room Tip: the rooms are noisy either way
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gina S
FarncombeEstate1, Manager at The Fish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2016

Dear Gina,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for letting you down on such a number of aspects of your stay and rest assured that I will follow up with the team to understand why we made such errors. I am in no position to make excuses for our shortfalls and I am so disappointed that you left us with such a poor impression of the hotel. To read such a list of issues is obviously a concern and, most frustratingly, not at all common place at the Fish. We would very much like to try to make things right with you and with this in mind our Operations Director is in the process of trying to make contact with you so they can discuss you issues in more detail.