3,191 results
All reviews valet parking cupcakes opposite the castle lovely hotel car park high street perfect location cooked breakfast mini bar weekend break executive room would highly recommend this hotel excellent stay lovely room breakfast was excellent stayed for one night full english
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Parking, clean, friendly, efficient, right opposite Castle in centre of the town, yet calm inside

Great service, nice bar, comfy rooms

4 not 5 stars simply as I think some drinks were excessively priced - but very nice

Recommended

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Dear Martin B

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you found your room comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

We booked the hotel in the last second on the 22nd July. We arrived into the hotel in half an hour and the room was ready. We got a beautiful and comfortable room on the 3rd floor. The view wasn't great, but the location is just simply perfect. We really enjoyed staying in the Macdonald Hotel. In the evening we had few drinks in the bar. The bartender (her name was Krisztina) was really kind, she made really nice cocktails for us. We had nice time together and we had a good chat. She is a smiley, polite and friendly person, made our night more special. Next day we had some breakfast in the restaurant, was everything prepared, the waiting staff was very friendly. The breakfast wasn't great, but all in all we had a very good stay at Macdonald Windsor Hotel. Highly recommended.
Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank didike21

Dear didike21

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment overall and especially that you felt so well looked after by the team.

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend booked here with Secret Escapes for a one night stay, hard to find any faults with the hotel.
Location is perfect, right in the head of Windsor and facing the Castle.
We stayed in room in 303 and it was spotless, modern and extremely comfortable bed, pillows etc.

The only thing that stopped this being a 5/5 was the food and service for our evening meal and breakfast. Our evening meal could have been slightly better and the restaurant looked understaffed at breakfast.

On the whole, we loved our stay and would definitely come back if visiting Windsor again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear ACHerts

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, despite the shortfalls you experienced in the restaurant. Your constructive feedback is extremely helpful and has been shared with the team for training purposes so that we may constantly review our standards.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We stayed here for two nights just as a little getaway. We booked the valet parking and the reception staff were very helpful regarding this, giving us the exact postcode for the car park. Parking was £30 per night which is expensive; however parking in a local car park would have cost £20 a night and for the extra £10 you get the benefit of valet parking and a secure car park. When we got to our room we found that the safe didn't work, but this was sorted out quite quickly. The room was turned down on the first night, and this was a nice touch; however the second night this didn't happen.

We went down for breakfast the first morning and ordered our food - waited and waited (at least half an hour) then decided to enquire as to how long our breakfast would be. This caused a flurry out in the kitchen and the food was rushed out to us in the next ten minutes; however it wasn't exactly what we'd ordered in that my husband had ordered the full English with poached eggs and without beans or tomatoes but what he received was scrambled eggs WITH beans and tomatoes. Thankfully the beans were in a separate pot which could easily be removed from the plate and, as we had already waited 40 minutes by then, he ate the scrambled eggs. When we left the restaurant we went to book a table for dinner and I advised the receptionist that we had not had the best experience at breakfast and, to be fair, we did get special treatment the next morning in that we were served quickly and the chef himself brought the food to our table.

However, dinner in the restaurant was also disappointing. We arrived at 7.30 (not late by any means), were seated at our table and handed the menu. We ordered pre-dinner drinks and a bottle of wine which were promptly brought to the table. However when my husband asked for the fillet steak (which he had been looking forward to all day) we were told that they had "run out"! Bearing in mind that this is a "Steakhouse" we found this a bit hard to believe, especially as it was still early in the evening. There were other steaks i.e. ribeye and rump, but that was not what he wanted and, seeing it was only 7.30 in the evening, we found this unacceptable. We then had a dilemma as the wine had been opened and poured (and was costing £28) but there was nothing else on the menu he fancied! As it was pouring with rain outside he decided to go with the gammon in the end (as he doesn't like rump or ribeye) but this on the whole was a very disappointing last evening meal in the restaurant and no efforts were made at all to remedy the situation or offer him an alternative. The food itself was edible but far from exceptional. We felt that we should have been told from the get go that the fillet steak was off the menu, which would have given us a chance to choose to go elsewhere, so overall found our restaurant experience disappointing to say the least.

Executive rooms come with a voucher for unlimited tea and coffee, and we made the most of that during the day as it's so easy to pop back with the hotel being in the high street. It also comes with a £20 off food voucher, but bear in mind that they then add a 12.5% service charge to the overall bill and you end up paying about the same amount anyway!.

In summary, the reception staff are extremely professional, the rooms are nicely decorated and clean, but the restaurant is disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui C

Dear Jacqui C

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and found our reception team extremely professional. However, I was most embarrassed by your comments about your poor experience in the restaurant.

I can fully appreciate your frustration and would like to assure you that I have shared your feedback in detail with our Head Chef.

I would also like to apologise for the service that you received in the restaurant at breakfast. I appreciate that service is of paramount importance and there can be no excuses for the problems which you encountered. I will be personally completing a review with my team so that your disappointment could not be repeated in the future.

Please be assured that the 12.5% service charge is discretionary and we are happy to remove it from guest accounts.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel so we may demonstrate our usually high standards.

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 July 2017

The entrance was for me a bit disconcerting; you walk through a fairly long corridor to get to the lobby, and something about the layout is disorienting, as though you were walking through a hall of mirrors at the carnival fun house. The hotel is located in a former department store, which was originally a single small building that was added onto several times. The result is a maze of corridors, with steps in unexpected places -- two or three steps here, eight or nine steps there -- you have to carry your luggage over the steps of course. I felt like I was crossing several stiles to get to my room. The room was small and oddly laid out, but my only real complaint about it was that the reading lights over the bed were the lowest possible wattage available. Saying that the light was dim is a massive understatement. The only way I could read in bed was to turn on the flashlight on my mobile phone. The hotel location is excellent, just a stone's throw from the castle.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Clackman
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Clackman

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed account and was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall despite the shortfalls you experienced.

I appreciate your constructive feedback, which will be discussed with the team.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.