All reviews royal ascot ascot races race course small dining room small friendly hotel great accommodation including chocolate road noise finishing touches not hesitate to stay here again pubs and restaurants quiet location family room comfy bed tea coffee the ground floor cooked breakfast
Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

If you want to meet one of the nicest people in the hotel business stay here. Sherrie was such a help and the rooms are just perfect! Quaint and exactly as described. We were so happy to find it that we stayed a second night. Taxi arranged to Heathrow next morning and that was very reasonable too for three of us.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Highclere_Hotel, Owner at Highclere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

Hello Jenny D, and thank you for your lovely sentiments concerning Sherrie. We agree, she is a lovely person, as is her husband, Thomas; it's the one quality you can't teach potential staff members, yet probably the most vital in the service industry. I will pass on your kind words to Sherrie as I know she will be encouraged by them. Thanks again, and hurry back. Regards, Phillip Curtis

Reviewed 4 September 2016

We stayed at the Highclere on Saturday the 3rd of September. The rooms were good, clean and well kept, the staff helpful and informative, everything you would expect in a good quality establishment.
We used the Highclere as our base to visit Ascot for the "Festival of Food and Wine Racing Weekend." And can not only recommend the Hotel, but also the event at Ascot.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello Graham W, and thank you for staying with us in September. It's so nice when our service and hospitality so perfectly match our guests' experience. We try hard and our managers and staff are great at what they do. I will share your comments with them and make their day; as you have made mine. Come back soon. Regards, Phillip Curtis

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

I recently stayed in the Highclere Hotel with my wife and 1 year old daughter. We booked a room very last minute as we had a christening early the following day.

First of the guys at the hotel were soooo accommodating. They could not have been more helpful. They had a cot for my daughter and they were very accommodating with allowing me to use their microwave and fridge to store my daughter's milk.

The room itself was lovely, we stayed in a family room. The room had free WiFi and Netflix (which was a nice surprise as we didnt discover it until the following morning). This is the first hotel ive stayed in that has offered this. Many others charge for you to watch movies etc. Yet the Highclere Hotel allows you to access Netflix free of charge.

The shower was really powerful, which was really refreshing. We was initially a little apprenesive that there wasn't a bath. We bath our daughter every night as part of her bedtime routine. Although my daughter wasn't bothered at all. She had fun in the shower playing with the jets of water.

The only downside in my opinion was the lack of a cooked breakfast. You could pay £7.50 per person for a continental breakfast. Although I knew about that before we visited, it is mentioned on their website. So it wasn't a big deal. There was a local cafe near by that did a full English for £6.

If I ever found myself in the area again I would definitely stay there again. Their customer service is next to none.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Highclere_Hotel, Owner at Highclere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2016

Hello Jay C, and thank you for staying with us. It is always wonderful to receive positive reviews, and especially so when the reviewer's enthusiasm and enjoyment are as contageous as yours. Our managers and staff will be overjoyed to receive your feedback. Regarding the free Netflix, only the family rooms have internet enabled TV's and, being parents too, we appreciate the time and cost savings of little free extras that really don't cost the hotel much at all. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we hope to see you again soon. I'll pass on your coments to my team. Regards, Phillip Curtis

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

What a lovely, friendly and great value hotel. We stayed here while visiting Ascot Racecourse for the Red Bull Air Race and had a very pleasant stay. We were even close enough to walk to the racecourse, rather than endure the dreaded mass parking nightmare of any large event – it is about a 25-30 min walk, but very easy. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the room clean and very comfortable (oh, and great shower by the way!) We will definitely be staying here if the event is held at Ascot again!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello jillian B, and thank you for staying with us in August, and for your review. The Red Bull Air Race is now an annual highlight on our calendar and our rooms are already 50% booked for next year; so get yours booked if you haven't yet. I will pass on your comments about the staff - they love to get such positive feedback. Our shower power is due to the special boiler we fitted during our refurb some years ago and obviously still works well. The top 4 essentials the guests generally want are: WiFi, clean room, comfortable bed and good shower. From yours and other reviews, we seem to have them all. See you next year. regards, Phillip Curtis

Reviewed 25 July 2016

The Highclere Hotel is small boutique property with all facilities and perfect for people visiting Ascot/Wentworth/Henley etc.

We booked a superior room for a two night stay. We were provided with a room on the road side, which was very nosy (not recommended). Room was very clean and comfortable but small and snug. The wardrobe was the depth of a book shelf, so could only manage to hang a suit and a couple of dresses and shirts. No good if you were staying longer. Wi-fi and tea and coffee available.

Tom and Sherrie were a great help recommending restaurants and taxis services (Ascot race course taxis fare £6.00). Recommend Carpenters Arms and Dog and Parrot for food and drinks, all within a 5 minute walk. Parking available.

Would book again but not a road side room.

Room tip: For a quiet room book the back of the hotel
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello "Broonie-1", and thank you for your comprehensive review. Most of our guests are short stays, so when we refurbished a few years back, my wife felt that the extra room size would be more practical than larger wardrobes for the clothes that very few people bring. I trust you can appreciate the trade-off that had to be made. That said, thanks for staying with us and we hope to welcome you again soon. Regards, Phillip Curtis