“Amazing!”

Salisbury & Stonehenge Guided Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Tours in Salisbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Hi. My name is Pat Shelley and I provide tours in and around the Stonehenge area. I take you on an exploration of the many sites which help to explain what Stonehenge may have been about across some beautiful countryside. Many people come back again with other members of their family or on the recommendation of friends. We can help out with transfers and travel arrangements to make your travel plans as smooth as possible. I look forward to meeting you.
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This tour shows you the real Stonehenge. Pat makes it come alive and gives you the full stort behind this magnificent monument. Starting at Woodhenge, Patrick takes you back in time and explains everything in such a clear, incredibly informative but exciting and fascinating way. My favorite moment was walking on the avenue to Stonehenge, and seing this amazing monument as our anchestors will have seen it. Trust me: this tour is THE only way you want to see Stonehenge, and you'll regret it if you don't see it through this tour.

1  Thank Niicole16

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I was so impressed with Patrick's tour. His knowledge and balanced way of understanding and sharing that knowledge was inspiring. I am so grateful that we saw the "henges" in the the way he presented it! And while there was no "magic" or "mystery", it became an awesome experience! If you get the chance, I would highly recommend his tour!

1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed 15 July 2012

At first glance I thought, "no one could have 218 5-star reviews and 2 4-star reviews on TripAdvisor." Maybe these were by 200+ of his closet friends.

But as it turns out, Pat Shelley has earned every one of those reviews. I am quite confident that he knows more about Stonehenge and the sites in the area that are part of the tour (Woodhenge, Durrington Walls, the Cursus, the barrows, and the Avenue leading to Stonehenge) than any other tour guide in the area. He has participated in many of the archaeological digs in the area and has personal knowledge of how archaeology is done and what we know and what we don't know, which is just as important. This is the real history as we understand it, not some made up stuff about Druids (who come along a couple of thousand years later at least).

This is a personal tour. Pat learns everyone's name and is constantly looking out after everyone. A very important aspect of the tour is that this is a tour of the inside of Stonehenge. The only way to get inside is to get a ticket to go inside and there are only a couple of sessions a day and only 26 visitors per session. Pat gets his tickets a year in advance. I imagine it is very hard to get these tickets and 1000s of people visit the site every day and only stand on the outside and look in. You will get inside with a couple of dozen people.

Combining his expertise and careful description of the structure and contents of Stonehenge with getting inside the stone circle with a very small group of people, I think this is the only way to see Stonehenge. It will be one of those moments of travel you remember for the rest of your life.

2  Thank Roland D
neomanSalisbury, Owner at Salisbury & Stonehenge Guided Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thanks Roland for writing a review. I don't think I've had/have 200 friends in my life! I think Trip Advisor would soon notice if friends were writing reviews. Guests have been very kind in taking the time and trouble to write them and they are all important.
I hope you visit again and if you do please look us up.
Kind Regards,
Pat

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Pat Shelley's tour of Stonehenge and the surrounding burial sites was simply amazing. As one of the archaeologists who has participated in many of the excavations, his knowledge of the site is immense. The entire tour was about 5 hours, and he took us to all of the sites surrounding Stonehenge, including Woodhenge, the Burrows, the Cursus and the Avenue, as well as the Inner Circle of Stonehenge, which is the highlight of the tour. There was a lot of walking involved through the fields across from Stonehenge, so bring your walking shoes. It's a tour you'll never forget.

1  Thank ellendesign
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This tour was so much more than I expected. While I knew that we were going to visit a couple of other sites the walk in the fields across from Stonehenge was unexpected. I so enjoyed the tour of the burial mounds and the Cursus. I only wish we knew what the Cursus was used for. So interesting. Pat has so much knowledge of the area and you can tell that he really likes to share it. Although the walk in the fields was a little challenging and I wish we knew about it before hand so we could have taken an allergy pill, it was so worth it. Walking the same path as the Ancients and seeing the stones as you come up on the rise is breathtaking. We got so many amazing pictures when we were within the stones themselves. To be there as the sunsets was wonderful. Don't bother with the bus tours that bring you to the stones and you have to see them from the sidewalk. Invest in Pat's tour and learn so much more that you can imagine.

1  Thank SheltieMom2