“Dogs and pubs”
Review of Vesper Gate

Vesper Gate
Ranked #1,581 of 2,245 Restaurants in Leeds
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Get a little sizzle from your local Here at The Vesper Gate you'll find everything you'd expect from a traditional local pub in Kirkstall - but with a bit of added sizzle. Just a stone's throw from West Park, Headingley and Horsforth, we're the perfect place to watch the footy with friends or enjoy a bit of banter over your favourite beers. We serve up a fantastic range of drinks with prices to match, together with our famous sizzling skillets or flame-grilled burgers if you fancy a bite with your pint.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Like children I think well behaved dogs do no harm in pubs. I regularly visit the Vesper Gate sometimes with children in tow and sometimes with a dog and can honestl say neither have been a problem to other visitors. I would rather sit outside with both however the Engllish weather does not always allow this. I say to the person who doesn't want kids and dogs in the pub either go somewhere else or live and let live.

1  Thank Cath S
Phillip L, General Manager at Vesper Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review The Vesper, we appreciate your feed back very much and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We visit the Vesper Gate on a regular basis for food and drinks never had any issue with the food or the service sometime we go as a couple and sometimes we take our dog with us. if we take the dog and decide to eat we eat in the taproom as we would never take the dog into the lounge room were people are eating with there family and friends. We think that this is a very nice gesture by the landlords as quite a few pubs are banning dogs. we all ways receive a warm welcome from all of the staff and most of the customers take time out to pet the dog ( which she loves ) I have noticed other reviews about dogs it would be a real shame if dogs were banned altogether although I do believe that all dogs should be kept on a lead at all times.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, We appreciate your positive comments and look forward to your next visit with us at The Vesper.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We only visit the Vesper for a drink as the reports about the food are really dire but having said that still feel that if I did decide to eat here that there would not be dogs present when food is being served on our last visit a couple sat nearby had a large dog who was shedding hair all over and also did not smell very nice at all. Dog biscuits on the bar are really off putting dogs used to be banned and feel this ban should be brought back in food and animals do not mix at all and there is a garden to take your dog to.Also another point at one time children were not allowed in the "tap room" area and feel this should be enforced again there is a huge area with things for children to do in the other side of the building and feel that one small area should be left for adults only to have a drink the total lack of control by management shows in so many areas in the Vesper Public House,poor food,dirty tables, animals etc.etc. I could go on but that will not help if the managers in the property do not notice these problems and try to sort them out will never ever get back to the good years if nobody takes control.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, we do currently cater for dog walkers, allowing guests to bring their dogs into the smaller tap room side of the pub. Dogs (except guide dogs) are not and never have been allowed into the larger dining area. Customers in the tap room do often order food and do this either with their dogs or without, and we have not had any complaints about this.

Just to confirm, children are not allowed into the tap room and parents are informed of this if they enter this side.

I would appreciate if you could contact me to discuss your visit further so that we can investigate the matter further, where you could provide the date and time of your visit.

This would be much appreciated.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner visited on a Friday lunchtime.
My partner ordered 10 glazed chicken wings with bbq sauce. When they arrived there were about 3 'glazed' chicken wings that looked like they had been found at the bottom of the freezer and the other 7 were cheap southern fried hot and spicy wings. When we complained to the bar staff we were told by the manager that they were soon getting a new menu and that only included southern fried wings. My partner asked for his money back...if he wanted southern fried wings we would have gone to a fried chicken place. When my Blt in a baguette arrived, the part-baked baguette had not been cooked long enough and had a weird smell to it. Also my bacon was cold.
We were both extremely disappointed and will never return.
The bench I was sitting on looked like somebody had shredded the upholstery with a knife.
This place is obviously going very downhill fast.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, and we apologise that you did not enjoy your experience. Any deviations to the menu should have been explained to you at the time of ordering, and we have since established better lines of communication between the kitchen and front of house staff.

We are getting a new menu, and would like the opportunity to discuss your visit more thoroughly. At your convenience, please could you call one of us on the number below.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a party of 17 for a family gathering. Upon arriving they had not prepared the table for us. Not sure if they were even expecting us. The staff quickly sorted the table after asking another family to move.
The meals came all at different times which you expect with a big party but this was to another level. The last meal came after 1.20 mins and it was not worth the wait. By then we were all so over the disastrous meal. I was embarrassed that I took my family there. A real shame.

1  Thank MaraDenison

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to review us. We apologise that you did not enjoy your experience and have looked into the matter further.

For whatever reason, we were expecting your party much later that day, but upon your arrival you were seated within a few minutes. When you arrived, we advised a member of your party that the best way for you to have your food at the same time would be to all order at the same time. Your group did however order in 6 or 7 different groups, and some of the party did not explain they were with your group when ordering, instead using a table number that they had been sat on before all your party had arrived. This unfortunately caused confusion, and there was a long waiting time between the first and last guest. It was also discovered that this last person hadn't actually ordered, after going through all the orders for your table. This was explained to you and there was some miscommunication at your table. Despite having other large groups in at this stage, we got the food for this person out as fast as we could. When all your party had eaten, we asked how everything was and there were no complaints about the food.

I would appreciate if you could call us to discuss your visit further on the number below.