“Great hotel, but not ageing well and overpowering smells”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Hilton Leeds City
Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Conveniently located by the station. Quick check-in (reception is on the third floor – a little confusing at first). Stayed in a deluxe room, which was a little small but very nice and had bright decor. Comfy bed with great pillows, good sized desk, large TV with a decent selection of channels including all sky sports channels. Large wardrobe. Good ironing facilities. Nice bathroom with shower over bath. The room fittings haven’t aged well though, the desk was scratched, the seats and lamp shades had loose threads, and I daren’t touch the shaving mirror for fear it was about to fall off the wall.
Booked well in advance and got the room for a fantastic low price. The prices of some extras were a bit too high though (£15 for internet is too high). I didn’t try the restaurant or spa; both seemed a little pricey but offered a wide range of choices. Overall it was a great stay, just two other complaints: the lack of sound proofing from the corridors ruined an otherwise very quiet stay; and a large air freshener mounted on the back of the room door was extremely overpowering and quite unpleasant, had to wash the clothes I hadn’t worn after my stay to remove the smell.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Zmith
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hilton Leeds City

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for one night as we had an extra night after being at a friends wedding nearby. We thought this was extremely good value for money. The linen was gorgeous and we had the best night sleep here.

Other than the slightly worn carpet in the hall way I do think this is great place to stay for a cheap night in Leeds.

Room Tip: Basic rooms were good value for money. We had a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FlightlessKiwis
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Now I am always pleased with hotels in the Hilton group but this has been so far the worst experience. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, unless you are after a no frills budget night out, which judging by the standard of many guests is what they expect and are quite happy with.

Reception is approached from the carpark via a back corridor, we waited for the guest lift for 5 minutes and when it arrived was full of staff, I carried our cases up the stairs.

I had booked and prepared for a deluxe plus twin room several months ago, I was told I had a king room, not great when bringing my mother shopping in Leeds. Some confusion and we were found a twin on the 8th floor. No morning paper offered either. Was told something about someone coming up, didn't really understand.

Got up to 8 th floor in lift with a stag party, lovely language and overheard sarcastic comments as we exited. Apparently I talk too well and dress properly for them.

The 8th floor corridor had a rather strange smell, possibly new carpet and on opening the room was hit by even stronger smell. I was ready to go down to car and drive 70 miles home, I may still do as sat in bar writing this review. Actually the city bar was a haven, no smell and batman was wonderful and attentive, made my Vespa cocktail and then as I found it strong was very helpful and suggested how he could soften it with ice and lemon, thank you. I may have several more to knock me out before retiring.

I am really not looking forward to my bed, very springy and sone dubious marks on bedspread. The table was also dirty so overall not a great impression. I understand this is an older property and is being refurbished but I expect good beds, clean and fresh rooms.

If my mother was not here I would have complained at reception and as the room cost less than a usual weekday lunch I shouldn't be that surprised.

Not good for a Hilton though. I will be updating my review in the morning to see how I slept and if the stags cause annoyance in the night.

Another drink please!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is a great hotel, with nice staff, good rooms and good food. However, the car park is a nightmare to exit from, with the last turn out of the car park costing me an extra £200 for a respray to the rear wing of my car, as although I had reversed 3 times to try and exit I managed to catch the corner by a millimetre.
Do not park here under any circumstances - you'll pay dearly !!

Room Tip: Never park in the car park
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I must have upset some one at work and I'm being punished by having to stay at the Hilton. My first thought that work was on an economy drive and they'd booked be into the cheapest hotel they could find, but when I checked the prices the hotel seems to have the cheek to charge about average prices.

On the way to reception the whole hotel has a "battered" impression. The rubber hand rail on the escalators to reception is perished and cracked. The metal work supporting the glass facade is noticeably dirty.

Only one lift was working causing delays, so much so that a lift would arrive and be too full to enter.

The rooms felt old. If rooms looked better I'd believe they had gone for some sort of 70's retro chic, but I am afraid it's just 70's time warp.

I like a firm bed, but it felt worse than sleeping on the floor because I could feel the mattress springs underneath me, even worse I could hear the springs whenever I moved.

I don't often have anything from the mini-bar, that's just as well because there wasn't one. Nor was there a bath. If I was being generous I'd admit that there might be a hip-bath but after everything else I'd describe it as a deep shower tray rather than a bath of any sort.

Room Tip: To get the best room, try another, any other hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business