“Everything was okay (just), until we tried to pay the bill!”

Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge
Ranked #195 of 2,295 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 64
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Style served in the heart of Yorkshire. In the leafy Leeds suburb of Cookridge sits a 200-year old Olive tree, providing the perfect backdrop to the timeless elegance of Gusto. Add to that a superb wine and cocktail list and you’ll get a real flavour of Italy combined with proper Yorkshire class.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

They lose one star because the quality of the food and the service were not quite the standard suggested by their prices.

They lose another because they made one of our party go to the bar to get his drink because he didn't want it adding to the table bill (he has mobility difficulties and we were tucked away at the back of the restaurant on a different floor level - they were told at booking that some of the party had mobility problems) then another server brought drinks to a party dining next to us, took their payment and returned with change, a smile and a 'you're welcome'!

They lose a third star because it's a week since our visit and the mess they made with the bill has only just been figured out. They were asked if the bill could be settled individually at the time of booking and it was fine but there was an audible and visible huff and puff about needing to get the manager so they could split the bill before they disappeared for more than 10 minutes. Then some of us had the 10% service charge added before deducting the deposit as it should be, but then didn't get the deposit deducted, others had the service charge added after deducting the deposit and the last to settle were asked to pay much more than their bill should have been. The organiser is now running around trying to collect outstanding amounts from some to divvy amongst those who over paid.

They lose the fourth star to ignorance; if Gusto's had offered to at least refund the service charge, preferably the cost of the organiser's meal, too for all the grief and extra work they have caused them, they may have kept that star

They lose a fifth - if only it were possible to award zero stars - Gusto's - on this occasion at least, would thoroughly deserve it.

It is probably unecessary to add that I will not be visiting again, nor will I recommend Gusto's to anyone I care about and if I hear someone planning a visit, I will be more than happy to suggest they go elsewhere.

GustoCookridge L, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Good morning,

I’d like to send my personal ‘thank you’ for taking your time to leave a review. We always appreciate receiving feedback from our customers. I’m sorry to hear that the service wasn't where it should be on this occasion. Could you please email me with a convenient time to call so we can discuss this matter further? My email address is JessHarris@gustorestaurants.uk.com

Reviewed 1 April 2018

This was the first time I ventured to this Italian restaurant for food and especially Easter Lunch with the family. This is a beautifully presented venue on the outside as well as in. Enough parking to accommodate those travelling from further afield as well as the locals like myself.

The interiors have tones of warm golds, browns and enough furnishing so it doesn't become cluttered. I enjoyed the photography pieces hung on the walls and the gigantic mirror just before you head to the conservatory part of the restaurant which at night is a very romantic setting, all dimly lit with candles and fairy lights here and there as if no effort has really been made. such a lovely aesthetic !

The bar area is not imposing and I could see myself sat perched drinking a Bellini waiting for my date or friend quite comfortably without feeling like I'm somewhere where I don't fit in or an imposter whose seemingly lost..

The Cocktails are amazing, like genuinely excellent, you can taste the alcohol without it being too much or a drink being particularly sweet or sour and yes I probably had more than I should for which I no doubt will pay for later. LOL

The main menu was vast and full of variety and my mouth kept watering as I read from dish to dish, eventually I settled on the Sunday lunch menu and I'm so glad I did as it was exceptional.

I cant stressed this enough PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try the olives! you will not regret it.
I had the chicken pate, I wanted more bread and definitely more of the Cranberry and Red onion chutney (Gusto, please improve on your starter portions, if you give a decent sized pate, you must give the appropriate amount of accompaniments). It was lovely regardless!
The Seabass was divine, fresh and very much cooked from the heart, or at least it felt like it to me.The spinach and roast new potatoes were just right, really tasty and flavourful. I want to eat that again and again it was that good. We also had the side order of the truffled fries with mayonnaise and basically I need to know how they were made so I can have them every day and not feel an inch of guilt while I turn into a mountain of obesity.

I was so tempted to go for a dessert or a liquor coffee, however I reluctantly declined as my waistline was begging me to just stop.

The Service was good, quick, polite and responsive to our needs, though I didn't really like where we were sat, I had soon forgotten about that once the booze and olives had arrived.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Gusto and it has very much become my new choice of venue for Cocktails!

WELL DONE GUYS & KEEP UP THE HARD WORK.

In the words of Arnie...I'll be Back!!!

GustoCookridge L, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Good Morning,

I would firstly like to express a personal thank you for your kind words. We understand that receiving feedback from our customers is invaluable. I’m so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. The team here at Gusto Cookridge will be delighted to have received such fantastic feedback. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

3 times a year, I have the job of organising a birthday lunch for my mum and her cousins. She's 94, the next down are 84 and 83 and then two 77 year olds, plus me at 66. Believe you me it is usually an exhausting task, trying to keep everyone happy but yesterday the fabulous staff at Gusto had them all laughing and having a wonderful time.
The food was superb, the setting comfortable and stylish but the quality of the care, attention, service and interaction by the lovely Sonny and the lovely young lady whose name sadly I didn't catch was the exception to the normal standard found elsewhere. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
At last somewhere where the staff enjoy their customers and appreciate that is always the service that makes the difference and makes people return with anticipation. A big thank you to Sonny for his patience with my mother and I hate to tell you we will return!!! especially for the " dollops" of ice cream....

GustoCookridge L, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Good afternoon,

I'd like to send my personal thank you for the time you have spent leaving this review. We never underestimate the value of receiving customer feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. Sonny really enjoyed your company and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

The food was lovely, the service was smooth and efficient. Our server was very attentive and sweet. Overall a great visit for Mother's Day.

GustoCookridge L, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Hi Georgina,

I'd like to send my personal thank you for the time you have spent leaving this review. We never underestimate the value of receiving customer feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

What fantastic service we had at the Gusto’s restaurant in Cookridge. I think a lot of people are quick to complain when something is wrong but don’t take the time out to review on good customer service. I called through the week to see if I could make the reservation but was advised it was fully booked but was asked to hang on while Josh took a look to see if he could book us in, turns out he made us a table in the window and did advise it’s the waiting area but that didn’t bother us at all, it was nice to out of the way as we were a loud group on a birthday meal. When we arrived we thanked Josh for managing to get us a reservation. I’m not sure if he is a supervisor or on duty manager that night but he really went over and above to make us feel welcome, he is a credit to your team and I hope this great review will get him recognised for fantastic customer service. The food was outstanding also, recommend this restaurant to anyone

GustoCookridge L, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Lewis,

I'd like to send my personal thank you for the time you have spent leaving this glowing review. We never underestimate the value of receiving customer feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us, and I will pass your lovely comments to Josh! I look forward to welcoming you back soon.