All reviewsthe pubroll top bathfresh milkpublic car parksuperior roombottled waterlittle toucheslovely roomcomfortable bedbiscuitslovely hotelone night staybeautiful townhigh streetarundel castleevening mealtea and coffee
Reviewed 13 April 2018

On first impressions this is a friendly pub with well decorated and comfortable rooms. However they had a bit of a howler when we got there. We arrived at 12 not expecting to check in as we were early, as we were on our way to a wedding. We'd let them know prior to our arrival that we'd be early and that we'd like to leave our bags. They said that was fine and we could actually leave them in the room. When we arrived the manager told us that they didn't have the key for our room as the last guest had walked off with it. Surely they have a spare we asked, but apparently that had been lost too. We explained that we would be back late, at about 1am and would this be ok. The manager assured us he would be in the bar closing up until 2am and this would be fine. Ok we thought, not ideal that our stuff is in an unlocked room all day, but we had no other choice.
We got back to the hotel at around half midnight to find everything locked and in the dark. All we could do was knock on the door to try and attract some attention but after about 30 minutes of this, no response. By pure chance a local reveller saw our predicament and said he knew the manager and would call him. The manager then answered the back door with no top on, wearing jeans and said "didn't they give you a key". It was like he'd completely forgotten our whole conversation. No, YOU didn't give us a key! He said the room was open but he still didn't have a key. Right. We went up to the room to find it was locked so had to go back downstairs, more banging on doors and after a while the manager opened the door again. We told him it was locked and so he gave us the fire door key. I'm pretty sure this is illegal but was tired and over the whole situation and wanted to go to bed. He apologised and we left. In the morning we had breakfast which was a really good quality fry up but the restaurant was under staffed and there were a few disgruntled customers. Upon checkout we were given a sincere apology and a full refund.
The whole experience was a bit of a shame as the room was comfortable, albeit very hot, and if the manager had done what he said he was going to do, it could have all been avoided.

Stayed: March 2018
Beata S, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear AndyV,

Please could you email me on swanhotel.arundelmanager@fullers.co.uk with a number that I can contact you on. As I feel that this review needs to be addressed in person rather than over TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

Beautiful rooms, good food. Would stay again. I liked the milk flasks providing fresh milk for tea and coffee. The restaurant had a good selection of food but a number of items were unavailable which was a shame. Breakfast was excellent and have a very good choice of items.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business

Dear Rsb678,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you found the room to be beautiful and the food to be good. I am sorry that there was a number of items unavailable on your visit, but I am pleased the breakfast was excellent.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

Hotel staff were welcoming. Indulgent rooms were as expected especially the bathroom facilities with rolltop bath and separate large shower. Food was good but inconsistencies between meals of the same type. Good selection of beers and good atmosphere in the bar/restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Eagleeyed,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that our staff were welcoming and your room was as you expected. I am sorry that you experienced inconsistencies between meals, however I am pleased that the beers and atmosphere was good.

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

We met friends for a two night midweek stay. Easy parking in the adjacent public car park. Had rooms 6 and 9, both of which were clean, spacious and well decorated with excellent bathrooms. We particularly appreciated the bottles of water and flask of fresh milk for our tea. Ate in the bar for one evening, good food, reasonably priced. Breakfasts were very good, great choice, well cooked. Great location to walk to all of Arundel's attractions. We especially enjoyed visiting Arundel Castle. All the staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. All in all we would happily stay here again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Ocho_Pinos,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so pleased that you found rooms 6 and 9 clean, spacious and well decorated. That Breakfasts were very good, with a great choice and well cooked. I do hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

Very good location but poor service: kitchen closed for dinner without any satisfying explanation : one momber of the staf told us that the kitchen had to be serviced and that he hoped it would be fixed at 18.00 (which in the end wasn’t). Another one came with a story that the chef’s wife was taken to hospital. So we had to look for somewhere to dinner ourselves
No WiFi-connection possible in room. We had to dit in the bar.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Beata S, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Everdo,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you encountered problems during your stay with us. Unfortunately the problem with the kitchen was beyond our control and I am sorry that our staff did not recommend a few places to eat that were no more than a five minute walk from the hotel. As for the wifi connection, I have looked into this, since you mentioned it in your booking.com review and it is something we are currently trying to sort, so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Once again I am sorry that your stay was not everything you or I would have hoped for, but I do hope that you would consider giving us another chance.