“Great coffee & cake!”

Ranked #39 of 58 Restaurants in Arundel
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Gaskyns is a family run licenced cafe. We pride ourselves in our homemade cakes and dishes and the quality of the ingredients which we use, many of which are locally sourced. We have easy access for pushchairs and wheelchairs as well as baby changing facilities, high chairs and toddler chairs. Wi-fi is also availiable and well behaved dogs are also permitted. Many of our menu items and cakes are available to all as we have many vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options available. We can also do smaller portions for children.
Reviewed 13 October 2015

Love sitting in the sunny window comfy seats, very relaxing. Coffee was excellent, cake was totaly sumptuous! Great atmosphere, helpful and attentive staff.

Reviewed 14 September 2015 via mobile

Visited on what would be our last day in the beautiful Arundel. We went specifically to Gaskyns because I have coeliac disease and friends had said how good they are for catering for specific dietery requirements. First impressions were good, very laid back and had some lovely art works on display. Asked the waitress with blue hair what was gluten free. She responded, "we can make anything on the menu gluten free for you". Fantastic! I thought. We sat down and I had a look through their extensive menu. I really fancied a sausage sandwich. Unfortunately, despite being told anything could be made gluten free, this could not. When I looked a bit surprised she said "are you allergic or are you just...you know.." and did a kind of squinty thing with her eye to suggest I might be one of those fad dieters. I informed her I had coeliac disease and she nodded and then explained their usual order of GF sausages hadn't arrived from the butchers that day. That's fine, but maybe don't tell me I can have anything I want (if you are a fellow coeliac you will understand) and then look at me like I'm just trying to make your life difficult. After my sarnie arrived (i opted for bacon) it was very well presented, and had crisps and salad on the side. We had noticed a cornered off section of the cafe as we entered. We soon found out it was being used for a toddler group. We had our infant daughter with us so we were not in any way annoyed or bothered by this, but they were very loud. So if you want peace and quiet, you should sit outside. A plus note, I should add, was there willingness to refill our daughters milk bottle. No questions asked. The staff were polite, it was reasonably priced but if you have special dietary requirements triple check what is available before ordering.

1  Thank wah-123
CharlyGaskyns, Manager at Gaskyns, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2015

Thank you for your comments about Gaskyns. We do strive to cater for all and every dish on our menu is available gluten free, albeit some with minor changes these only being sausages and black pudding. If these are ordered then we are more than happy to swap these for other items.

All of our staff are trained to ask whether people have allergies or not as the kitchen is informed with each order so that where necessary no contact whatsoever is made with other items e.g. gluten. This is done as extra protection for people with allergies and we do have many customers who avoid gluten through choice as well as necessity.

We do have toddler groups on some weekday mornings and these are advertised and part of the reason that we won Sussex Life's 'Best Family Dining' Award.

Reviewed 4 September 2015

We stopped here for a light lunch prior to tackling the art trail as part of the Festival. Service was friendly and prompt, and portion sizes and the extras served with the sandwiches were generous. My wife had pear with melted brie which she pronounced excellent, and the other three of us had various sandwiches which were all considered very good. All in all, a very pleasant place. Just one small gripe - we had tea for two and the teapot was way too small for two people. Extra hot water was provided immediately on request, but a larger teapot to begin with would have resulted in a better cuppa!

Reviewed 4 September 2015

dont feel comfortable whenever we go in here, our two year old was playing and member of staff looked at him as though he was doing wrong. go in here because food is good and good for child most of the time. staff need to be more friendly so we dont feel as though we are putting them out.

CharlyGaskyns, Manager at Gaskyns, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2015

Hi

I am really sorry you had an unpleasant experience at Gaskyns. We pride ourselves on being family friendly and I would very much like to find out more about your experience. Could you let me know exactly when you visited or tell me more about the particular member of staff who served you.

Regards

Charly

Reviewed 10 August 2015 via mobile

Great place for good coffee. Staff friendly and helpful. One came round and offered us newspapers. Comfortable couches and free wifi. Homemade cakes look a real treat, going to have some next time. An attached store has gourmet foods and goods to take out.