“Very friendly here”

Red Lion
Ranked #17 of 58 Restaurants in Arundel
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: I visited this restaurant with my husband and two adult children and daughter in law. We tried to find somewhere in Arundel to have lunch at 2.30 nearly everywhere was closed. This restaurant was open. The seating was not very comfortable and to be honest it did not smell very nice, but we had already ordered our drink so it was difficult to leave! I had asked for sausages and mash (but asked if the mash was made with butter - the bar person enquired and came back and said that it was made yesterday and the person who made it was not in! so he could not say! I had chips instead. So I had sausages and chips with runner beans which were cold. The sausage were not at all hot but we waited quite a while and so I did not complain. My son and daughter in law had steak and it was full of grissle and they brought the most horrible looking large mushrooms swimming in oil which dripped over the table. My daughter had a very indifferent hamburger, We felt the whole experience was bad and a waste of money I would never go there again!!!
Reviewed 11 May 2017

We went here for lunch on a Thursday at just after 12 noon. It was fairly busy in the first bar area so we went through to the quieter area towards the back of the pub where it leads out to a pub garden where people also go to smoke.

There was a fairly strong smell of bleach in the area we sat in which wasn't very nice but luckily it wore off as we sat there!

We took our big dog in with us and the staff loved him and made an enormous fuss of him, which he loved :)

There were quite a few specials to choose from as well as a good sized menu.

We didn't have long to eat as parking is limited to only one hour in Arundel - which is the fault of the Conservative council. It meant we had to rush our lunch and rush out to our car - not good. I will be making a complaint to the council about this ridiculous situation.

I asked about the wines available and was told most are quite dry. I'd decided to have a ham ploughmans and was recommended to have a glass of Sauvignon Blanc with it, the 250ml glass was excellent quality and I really enjoyed this and it complimented my food perfectly. It was £6.25.

You have a choice of two things with a ploughmans so my husband chose cheese for me as he likes that! The meal that came - see photo, had the biggest piece of cheese I've ever had before! Unfortunately it lacked any flavour at all? There were some very nice thin slices of apple and the ham was very nice. I wasn't so keen on the bread with it. I think it was Branston pickle and an onion chutney that were also on the plate, with a little coleslaw and a small amount of salad. It cost £11.

Hubby had the sausage and mash which also came with some really big onion rings and a nice gravy. He really enjoyed this. His drink was a shandy made with Fosters lager which he really liked and it cost £4.05.

The total of our lunch for two was £32.80.

The ladies was very clean.

Our seat that we sat on was a bit stained and could do with replacing!

This is a very nice pub and very friendly staff. We were made most welcome here.

Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

I have now visited a few times for Saturday music nights. Great venue, great music and friendly staff. It's a shame that the drinks are so expensive

Reviewed 2 May 2017

A pleasant lunch and glass of wine, we have been a few times and have eaten inside and rear garden. Pleasant and very good menu.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Great service with a cosy atmosphere good food we all enjoyed it being so convenient for the cathedral thank you

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Lovely pub on the main street in Arundel. Food is delicious: my friend and I had the Thai style mussels and the tuna steak and we were not disappointed. Staff is very nice: one of the sides on our order was missing and they offered a partial refund or free drinks, I'm glad we decided to wait a bit and have the side because the baby potatoes with mango salsa were to die for.
It also has a nice beer garden in the back.