“'It's a must'”
Review of The Wilderness

The Wilderness
Ranked #30 of 2,537 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$ 63 - US$ 126
Description: Currently closed for refurbishment to a new site to re-open April. Multi-course menus of whatever is available to us from the British Isles. Modern British dining driven by nature, memory & place.
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

We went there last Thursday night to celebrate my birthday with my brother and partner. What a fantastic night we had. The food was unbelievable, well done to Alex and his team (particularly as I don't eat cream and cheese and they were able to accommodate my needs), my brother and partner said it was the best meal they have ever had, they have it just right with the music and tables. Staff were extremely knowledgeable about the food and very friendly. Can' t wait to come again once you have moved to Bennett's Hill, but in the meantime will come and try your lunch menu. Keep up the good work and hope you get a Michelin star soon.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Karen T

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We've been wanting to go here for a while, it's pretty hard to find and really not what you expect from the outside, do not let this put you off.
It's nice to go some where where the food is so good but in a non stuffy environment they just show case how talented they are, it's amazing. It's not a meal out it's a food experience, the attention to detail is incredible and the sour dough bread was insane. I won't describe the dishes, go and discover yourself.
Worth every penny.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank tog1966
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Simply as good as anything, anywhere.
Period.

And for a temporary location, the setting is really classy. shops can spend a fortune creating this look. When you look up at the skylights here, it's all genuine.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Visited Wilderness the roaming restaurant in January after they had closed their previous incarnation and temporarily moved to the old Two Cats restaurant location in the Jewelry quarter. The general conditions were unacceptable. The place was freezing as there appeared to be no heating and a nasty draught blew every time the door opened making it even cooler. I kept my coat on.Some aspects of the food were good but not all I believe they were working around difficulties in the kitchen. Personally, some hot thick soup and a glass of a strong polish spirit would of been the order of the day given the cold conditions. The bread was not particularly nice being quite heavy. The accompanying wine /spirit/beer flight represented questionable value. We were told this was a temporary location and the new one was going to be elsewhere and would be amazing. Now I notice they are back at this address. I hope they have sorted out the heating and the other issues. Sure, January was a particularly cold month but this is no excuse for putting your diners through such misery.

Date of visit: January 2018
5  Thank Michelle H
wildernessb5, Owner at The Wilderness, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hello Michelle and thanks for your review.

Firstly and foremost, I am sorry that your experience with us left such an impression and for the wrong reasons.

We were at that location as a short-term pop-up and, as you note, we were very unfortunate to encounter numerous challenges for that pop-up. Having done many of these roaming events over the years, you normally get thrown some curve balls and I'm afraid this was no different. I can say with confidence at no point did we plan to put diners through such misery. If I had wanted to do that I would have just put my choice of music on. I am very grateful for the understanding and patience that you and our other guests extended over these issues that were - largely - out of my control.

There was heating - both central radiators and free-standing heaters but it failed multiple times during the January pop-up and - when it did work - was not working effectively. The kitchen too had it's fair share of electrical problems that limited us, as you note. We had visited the venue under its previous guise and none of these issues were apparent until we began our pop-up - I am only sorry that our guests suffered despite every possible effort from us. We curtailed the pop-up early and had engineers out almost every day to try get on top of the issues but I am well aware that it affected the experience.

We have a much larger unit in town that will open later this year, but I am keen to recommence cooking as soon as possible so yes I have taken the pop-up venue on and now signed for a lease to make it permanently mine. I have sorted out the heating and other issues and more; I've entirely stripped the venue, rewired, remodelled and added additional heaters. I think most will struggle to recognise it as it's previous incarnation.

Warm wishes
Al

Reviewed 8 March 2018

We had an amazing dinner time.
we had great recommandations from friends and we were not disappointed. Food is amazing and the staff is very welcoming.

Date of visit: March 2018