“A hidden gem”

Ranked #59 of 2,537 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 57
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fine Italian cuisine just South West of Birmingham in the heart of the West Midlands. This family owned and operated Italian gem of a restaurant offers fantastic value for money dining, whether it's for Lunch, Dinner, Supper, Sunday Lunch or that Special Occassion.
Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

Straight from work, we did the early bird three course set menu which was great value for money. The choices are several, the portions generous & tasty. The full menu also looked very good & will be tested on my next visit!
There's a good range of Italian lagers & beers too.
The staff are friendly, helpful & attentive. The restaurant has a good atmosphere, is large, very clean & well presented. The car park is tight for large vehicles but roadside parking can be found.
This is a good place to eat.

Date of visit: November 2018
Lynn S, Guest Relations Manager at Il Michelangelo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our food and restaurant. We are delighted you enjoyed your dining experience with us.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

On a Saturday night they managed to get us an extra seat. Service was polite, helpful and Black Country welcoming. Efficient without being zealous. Everyone enjoyed their well cooked food, served fairly quickly, allowing for how busy they were. Noisy but pleasantly so, nice decor. The two ladies were very taken with the mural of the Roman "God", as seen in the site photo. Good value Italian food.

Date of visit: October 2018
Lynn S, Guest Relations Manager at Il Michelangelo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Thank you for leaving a positive review on our restaurant and service .

Reviewed 7 November 2018

With grown up children, its rare that we get chance to go out as a Family. This was one of those rare occasions and we chose Michelangelo's. We had an excellent night out with good food and a terrific atmosphere. The portion sizes were super so if you wanted to go for a main meal only option, that would be fine. Wide range of drinks too.

Date of visit: November 2018

We are delighted you enjoyed your dining experience with us. Thank you

Reviewed 29 October 2018

5 if us enjoyed dinner off the a la carte menu for my Daughter's 40th Birthday. Food and service was very good, friendly lively atmosphere, large car park, would definitely visit again. Chef's are very good and will cook anything you desire. We enjoyed steaks and pasta and desserts. Cocktails good too. My Son who has a swallowing problem had an issue whilst there and was in the rest room for a good while clearing his gullett (nothing to do with the steak) The staff were great, kept his food warm and even offered to re-cook it. Waiters knowledgeable and friendly.

Date of visit: October 2018
Lynn S, Guest Relations Manager at Il Michelangelo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2018

We are delighted you enjoyed every aspect of your dining experience with us on your special occasion. We are only to pleased to offer our hospitality to your son . Thankyou.

Reviewed 26 October 2018

My partner and I recently visited Il Michaelangelo in hopes of experiencing a nice, relaxing evening after a busy week at work for the pair of us. This was not what happened. We were seated fairy quickly upon arrival which we were pleased with but after this, we felt like staff members were watching us. They came over to us more often that what was necessary and it made me wonder ‘is there something wrong with us?’. It made me feel nervous and on edge. We ordered starters before our main meals and they tried to take my partner’s starter away even though he wasn’t finished with it and wished to finish it whilst eating his main. He told them multiple times to keep his plate on the table, but they clearly weren’t listening to him. After our mains arrived, I realised I didn’t like the food I’d ordered for whatever reason so I tried my best to eat the parts I did like. However as I was already extremely anxious because of how the members of staff made me feel, I started to feel nauseous. I asked a passing waiting for a glass of water and I waited for ages and he still did not bring it, even after my partner had gone up to the bar to ask again for me. So, I got up and asked for a third time and finally received the water. At this point I felt like I could vomit at any second, I was shaking and felt like I couldn’t breathe and had to stand outside for some air. Whilst outside, my partner asked the waiter who’d come over to him to remove my plate from the table as even the sight of the food was making me feel incredibly nauseous and again, they weren’t listening to him properly so he had to ask multiple times. When I returned to the table after getting some air, a waitress was interrogating me, asking me questions about the food and why I didn’t like it even though I was clearly in pain and the food was the last thing I wanted to talk about, I had to tell her to stop. She showed absolutely no care or compassion at all. I started to feel so ill that I threw up as we were waiting for our taxi home even though I had been absolutely fine upon entering the restaurant. I am terribly upset with how unhelpful the staff were, caring more about their food and reputation than a person who was in physical pain, most likely brought on by the anxiety they caused by watching us. They offered us no discount on the bill even though my food was largely untouched and we were just appalled at this! NEVER again I am I going to step foot in this restaurant, neither will my family nor friends. I am so disappointed with the Il Michaelangelo staff for causing me to go through such a traumatic experience and not even attempting to rectify it at all!

Date of visit: October 2018
Lynn S, Guest Relations Manager at Il Michelangelo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2018

We would like to address some of your points

Feeling uncomfortable with staff coming to you to often
We apologise if you thought this
We do go to our customers regularly obviously to take the drink orders on arrival,we then leave you to browse the menu.
As for watching you it is nothing personal as we have to see if you are ready to order your starters,main course etc.

You state the waiter did not listen to about your starters this is very unusual for our staff as if someone asks them to leave their food it’s not finished with they will leave it.

Main meal
You say for whatever reason you didn’t like your food , if you had spoken to a member of staff they would have rectified and offered you something you liked.

Waiting for water
We will speak to the staff who was on that evening as this is unacceptable.

Waitress no compassion
Again this will be looked at as this is very unusual with our waitresses not showing compassion if people are feeling ill.
As for interrogating you about your food this seems a little hard , we do ask if there is a problem if you have left your food untouched so we can rectify the problem.

If you had spoken to the floor manager at the time of your visit the issues you have raised could have been dealt with straight away so it didn’t get to the point of you feeling ill.
We hope you can accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused .