“Just flat out disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Indigo Birmingham

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, England, United Kingdom
“Just flat out disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have to say, I don't leave reviews. I'm one of those British travelers that politely smiles and mumbles "thank you thank you" as I walk away promising myself I won't visit again. I want to leave a fair explanation and hopefully constructive.

I have traveled a lot. I hold platinum air miles and during a spell in the US I flew over 150,000 miles in a year. Translation ? Lots of hotels. I'm seasoned but not high maintenance.

I was attracted to the Indigo simply because of two factors, the superb photography really lured me into my comfort zone - minimal clean functional hotel environments have always been my "thing". And Marco Pierre White's restaurant... I bundled up the photography with the allure of MPW and thought, its got to be a winner.

Hmm. When I got there, taxi pulled up, nobody to help me inside with my bags. Struggled into the lobby and a singular employee behind the counter - welcomed me swiftly and within seconds I was off to my room.

I wasn't sure what I expected from the room but it really was disappointing. I don't know how to describe this but the room on first glance looked clean modern and stylish just like the picture... But, on closer inspection it was as if some corporate team had come in to the design stages with clipboards and cut each design choice down to the category that was acceptable rather than sumptuous. Bedding, linens, paintwork, curtains... it all felt like like it was perfectly designed for the upwardly mobile business traveler hoping that they wouldn't notice the slashes in quality of materials, but for me it fell far short.

Putting the disappointment of the room aside, I went for dinner. The views are really the clincher here, the restaurant decor is a monochromatic neutral platform allowing wall to wall glass to engage the diner with views of Birmingham City and surrounding areas that are impressive. I have to say, my waiter was one of those guys who had been trained with the "hi guys" formula of American style waitering over any kind of fine dining training. I asked for the cocktail menu from my waiter, when it didn't arrive, I just waited and caught the next waiter after about ten minutes. I ordered a dry martini with olives and when I asked for the choices in vodka, she said I'll be right back... 5 minutes later, she came back with the menu and said "Which drink did you want ?" Knowing we were on a slippery slope I cancelled and ordered a diet coke.

Food okay. multiple waiters asking me if I liked my main course - yes it's good, yes it's good. And it was... except I can't remember what it was...

At breakfast the next morning, this really clinched it. I asked what was in the omelette. "It's fresh mackerel Sir" ! Done.

The omelette showed up and well, it had been incorrectly cooked plain. I asked my waitress for help... "so you want more mackerel in it ?"... "No - I just want the mackerel omelette, this has none in it."

She said she would see what she would do. She came back with the same omelette (reheated) with mackerel flakes dropped on top, She apologised profusely.

I had to say to her, i would prefer that the omelette be cooked again fresh with the ingredients in it. I heard the conversation between the waitress and the chef and the chef was incredibly vocal about her disdain.

In general, the breakfast experience sealed the deal. for £165 per night, I don't expect to see plastic flora butters thrown on a saucer as the "butter" option. Staff were so newly trained, they were floundering and all in all it didn't live up to a premium experience. I'm absolutely baffled by the 5 star reviews of service and can't help wondering where they have been staying to rate such reviews.

I could go on, but want to end on a positive. Visually it looks appealing but some corporate hotel body has gone through all fantastic potential and slashed any luxury from the picture leaving an image of modernism closer to IKEA. Marco Pierre White rescue your name....

The whole thing smacks of corporate bodies trying to cash in on the words "boutique" but missing the point on every level.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Jonathan W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear Jonathan W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Indigo last Friday and it's true to say that the majority of positive reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty accurate. It's situated on floors 23 and 24 of the new Cube building with Marco Pierre White's restaurant occupies the 25th Floor. Our room on the 24th floor looked out towards Edgbaston cricket ground and beyond towards the Lickey Hills. Our very modern room had flashes of purple (other rooms had different colour schemes) with white walls and wooden floors and an adequately sized bathroom with shower. It was a standard room with a rate of £105 including breakfast at Marco's. The bed was more queen than king but with a very comfortable mattress. The fridge contained complimentary sparkling and still water, 2 cans of fizzy drinks and a kit-kat. Nice touch and the water was very welcome after an evening eating and drinking to excess in the MPW Steak house above.

Other have said that the breakfast is nothing to write home about but we both agreed that it was really good - but I don't really understand why a full English has to come in a towering stack! By the time we had dis-assembled the stack, it looked like any other full english with lovely back bacon, sausages, black pudding, large mushroom, grilled tomato, hash brown and a soldier of fried bread. It was all served piping hot and overall it was as good as it gets. We also helped ourselves to a nice selection of berries, grapefruit and other fruit and various yoghurts and with mixed toast and sorry to say, fairly typical and ordinary hotel type coffee it made for a filling and satisfying start to the day. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The car park is unique and fascinating!

I will review the MPW restaurant seperately but needless to say, it complements the overall style and quality of Hotel Indigo perfectly.

Room Tip: A view over the canals would be more interesting.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Having heard about this new hotel I thought I'd try it for a change when in Birmingham.

My initial impression of this hotel was poor. The male member of staff on reception could not have been less friendly - he hardly spoke to us as we checked in and the whole process made it appear as if we were inconveniencing him. Given I was paying what I feel is a premium price for a night in B'ham (£279) for in a new trendy hotel - I had much higher expectations. I've had better service at a Travelodge. Further interactions with this staff member during my stay resulted in the same negative experience.

The room was nicely appointed - while the bright green finish might not be to everyone's taste, it was contemporary and practical. However, despite being very new the room was showing signs of wear - I suspect the quality fittings to be low. There was significant damage to one of my walls and the door the the balcony was badly sticking.

The bathroom included good quality Aveda products, but I was surprised at this level of hotel that the room had no bath - just a simple shower.

I used the gym which is quite good for a hotel gym - but at present you have to go outside of the building to gain access. I assume this will be resolved once the building is fully open.

The breakfast service was slow and a bit disorganised despite being virtually empty- when my order eventually appeared it was wrong. The quality of the breakfast items should have been better. The view however from the restaurant is great.

Overall, this hotel has the potential to be something special. However during my stay they simply didn't deliver - and overall the value for money was very poor.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Richard H
TINA K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Mr Harris

Thank you for taking the time to post a report on trip advisor, I sincerely apologise that you felt you received poor service on arrival, as you arrived altogether in your group the receptionist was trying to get you all checked in as quickly and efficiently as possible which obviously resulted in a poor first impression. Your feedback is very important to us and has been discussed with the team to ensure that friendliness is not compromised by efficiency.
If i can be of any further help or you would like to discuss any of the issues you raised in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me.
UK Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Great location with close access to all Birmingham has to offer.

Friendly welcome and efficient front desk.

Room on the smaller side for £120, and no bath, but nice waterfall type shower and high quality toiletries. Oddly there is no 'Full Breakfast' room service option, probably something to do with the MPW restaurant upstairs.

Bed was really comfortable and I suppose you pay for sleep really so on that count it was good, the views were also great to wake up to.

Personally at that price point I prefer a bath and a slightly larger room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank James B
Starke, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Came here after a night in the BIrmingham Marriott (see earlier review) and the contrast could not be greater. Large rooms, great views, free high-speed internet (over 10Mbps) with free goodies in the refrigerator, and a Marco Pierre White restaurant on the 25th floor.

1 Thank DylanWadol