3,204 results
All reviewsnew street stationlovely hoteltrain stationcity centreexcellent locationcooked breakfastgerman marketexecutive roomshopping tripreception staffchristmas marketcentral birminghamlovely roomenjoyable stayone night stayfull englishbull ring
Reviewed 23 November 2017

A nice, friendly welcome to a lovely building. Our room was good, with comfy, not too soft mattress. We were attending a function, where the meal was of a good quality and much better than we had imagined it would be, with good service. Breakfast was of a very good standard too, with good service.

Wifi was good, with no password/registration required. We were allowed to leave our luggage after checking out, whilst we explored the city, for no extra fee, unlike many hotels. Car parking was nearby and with preferential rates for guests.

All in all no complaints, and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Stayed here recently as I had an event the next day so it seemed sensible. What a major mistake. It is indeed opposite the train station so handy for rail access, and has a car park nearby with preferential parking rates if you stay at the hotel called the red cage car park. You can't miss this car park and it really is a 2 minute walk to the hotel. On arrival, the hotel reception looks bland and old fashioned with sagging, stained settees dotted about a very sparsely furnished, nay empty lobby, but this is the almost best part about this once fabulous hotel. I last stayed here about 4 / 5 years ago and it was in so much better condition then, but boy has 5 years taken its toll. Isaac on reception checked me in initially and he was charming and efficient. But then, after I had seen the room allocated I simnply had to change rooms immediately and then AGAIN before one was satisfactory enough to sleep in. The first, (415) dark and dingy with furniture that would not look out of place in the 1970's, the second (502) running at about 40 degrees, so ideal for a sauna, and the third (409) perfectly ok, but what a performance to get to a room that I could actually sleep in!!! In all fairness, it was a super comfy bed and a quiet room, especially for a city centre hotel so top marks for those features. It was ONLY the tireless enthusiasm of Richard on reception, that stopped me from simply checking out and going 150 yards around the corner to the Premier Inn. If i hadn't had an event there the next day, I truly would not have stayed.The other member of staff who really deserves a mention (and promotion) as well as Richard is Lisa who was our event lady the following day. These two are true gems of customer service and commitment and if I had a hospitality business I would be poaching them shamelessly. Worth their weight in gold. Thanks to them both for everything they did.
So, to breakfast. A sad, tired affair that saw a complete lack of imagination throughout, items that were out of stock like ORANGE Juice, which we asked for and never received. Earl Grey tea, again requested and never received, and the full English when it arrived after 20 MINUTES looked drab, boring and very meagre in size. The waitress could not understand an omelette order so we had toast instead.Honestly other hotels have breakfast that is so much fresher, full of fresh fruit, granolas, juices, smoothies, continental meats and cheeses, pastries, fresh bread, herbal teas, and a super fresh hot buffet, I cannot understand how this hotel sells any breakfasts at all. Well I imagine they rely on the package deal and either corporate trade or footfall that never returns. The event went well only thanks to Lisa who worked tirelessly to help us all day. Lunch was hideous, pork belly, some salad leaves and coleslaw, soggy vegetables and to add insult to injury ran out half way through but by now I simply wanted to look as professional as possible to my customers, get out and never return. I am sure the staff work as hard as possible against the odds here, but it seriously needs a fairly major overhaul and a huge investment to stay in the market place or it is danger of becoming another once grand hotel trading on its reputation of years ago. The paying public will wise up and then it will be just another shabby overpriced place that gradually descends in to bankruptcy. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Situated across the road from the station, there is a feel of classy quality on entering the hotel. We spent three days here for our wedding anniversary. Couldn't fault the service we had either at reception or in the dining room. The food at breakfast was excellent. Our room, although more modern than the classy reception area, was large and comfortable and fairly basic.Lovely pillows, bed a little soft, but thats just personal preference. It had a view into the covered gallery which was beautifullly decorated for christmas, as was the whole hotel. Step outside the hotel into the heart of the city, so convenient for the shops and museums. Would definately return. Visit made extra special by lovely gesture curtesy of the manager.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Manager_Burlington, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear Kagord

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the service you received from the team.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and writing such a positive review!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warmest regards

Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. Hotel was very clean and tidy.
Only downside was the unavoidable noise from outside. My stay coincided with the arrival of the Christmas Market. I would not advise a room facing this side of the road when this is on, as was very noisy late into the night.

Staff were great on reception, very friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast was cooked well and good selection of cereals and continental.

Would definitely stay here again on business or pleasure and recommend to anyone.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us overall - especially the friendliness of the team!

We appreciate your helpful feedback which I will share with the team as I know they will be motivated by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Very handy right next to New Street station, although area can be a little rough at night with, Brindley Place better for meals and less drunken yobs.

Hotel itself is an old British Rail hotel so some nice Victorian features and our room (executive king) was large and clean with everything you need for a nights stay. Didn’t have breakfast as was stupidly expensive, and the couple of drinks we had in the hotel bar also very pricey.

Overall would stay again if working in city center but would use personally for a treat.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Manager_Burlington, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear jollymuncher

I am pleased that you enjoyed our location and your room, however I would like to apologise for your disappointment with the price of breakfast and drinks in the bar. We review our pricing regularly to ensure that we offer fair and competitive rates in relation to our offering and hotels of a similar standard and location, and I am sorry that you felt this was not the case. I will continue to monitor this closely.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes