5,939 results
All reviewsthe executive loungehuge hotelcourtesy busbusy hotelgenting arenaleisure facilitiesvisiting the necstayed here for one nightconventionconcertmotorway
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I only ever stay at this hotel when I'm attending an event there.

This time round I had two separate bookings, one was for a 'Twin Hilton Deluxe' and the other was for the 'Single Guestroom'.

Both rooms are pretty identical the only difference I found was the colour scheme, Deluxe having a dark wood theme and the normal guest room being a lighter beech wood colour.

Rooms had a desk, hair dryer, bathroom amenities, 2 single beds, small dining table, office chair and another arm chair. The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

Both of my stays included breakfast which I would highly recommend, it is a full hot breakfast buffet with your usual beans, mushrooms, hashbrown, sausage, bacon, made to order eggs, toast, bagles, crumpets, muffins, cheese, cold meats, yogurt, fruit and lots more,

My only peeve with this hotel every time I stay is the cost for extras, it's a nice hotel but I don't believe it's worthy of the prices it charges elsewhere. Wifi is £14.95 per 24 hour period, food menu I believe is over priced too (Chips/Fries £4.00). I'm no scrooge when it comes to spending, but paying £4.00 for a bowl of chips/fries is too much in my eyes especially when ordering room service that charge £4.00 for tray service (that's £8 for chips/fries then).

If like me you don't enjoy spending money on over priced rather than quality items then the NEC (Arena), Birmingham International Train Station and Birmingham Airport are all within walking distance of the hotel. There's an exit at the back of the hotel which will lead you along a short path into the NEC which has a Starbucks (I think this is only open Monday to Friday and on event days), Subway, newsagents with sweets, newspapers, drinks, and a Wetherspoons. There is a sky walk to another part of the NEC called the Pavillion which has other eateries including a Starbucks.

From the NEC you can take the walkway to the train station which has a Coffee Shop and a Subway, and from there you can take the free air train to the airport which again has more eateries and shops.

From the hotel to the airport it takes around 10-15 minutes for an average walker to get there.

Other than the price of food in this hotel, the staff are mostly very friendly, the rooms are comfortable and it is extremely convenient if flying into Birmingham. (There's also a free shuttle bus to and from the airport/train station)

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to an exec room with access to the club lounge do it, I believe it would save you an awful lot of money when you just want to snack on something.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kegan5
Reviewed 29 June 2012

For me the Hilton hotels continue to go backwards, even with some of the extra service that goes with the being a Hilton Honours membership. This weeks stay was chaotic. After a busy day and a long trip from Devon I arrived at the hotel at 11.15. It took 45 minutes to check my in. Excuses were that the room owns not yet ready and the appropriate room grade was not now available. So having had to wait for 45minutes for the room I was also downgraded. The lady , Sarah who dealt with me was very good in fairness. It is standard practice then to provide such customers with a Hilton amenities pack to make good the inconvenience. This turned out to be two bottles of water?????????
Think again Hilton.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Canny C
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed in the Hilton Metropole, Birmingham recently to attend a convention. Booked a Twin Executive room at a discounted rate because we were attending the convention. The usual rate would have been £134 per night (approx) & we got it for £87 per night, this included breakfast.

Check in was speedy despite the masses of people. I wouldn't have said that the room was anything spectacular, 2 small single beds, dresser, tv & stand etc etc. the bathroom wasn't anything special either. Given we were in the Hilton & all that it stands for, I expected more. TV didn't work & kept cutting out. Would have expected perhaps an iPod docking station or some state of the art electronics. But instead got an radio alarm clock with an MP3 Jack lead to plug iPhone in.

Not cost effective, examples below:

2 glasses of rose wine cost £18! A pizza, with side bowl of chips & 2 blue wickeds = £30. Needless to say it was the only bit of food we ordered. Bottle of Pinot Grigo Rose Wine, 2 packets of crisps, 2 packets of nuts = £30.

£14 parking!

All in all, very expensive, wouldn't make a habit of staying in the Hilton and at least I can say I've finally stayed in the Hilton.

Not much else to say really. Not like me.

Moved over to the Holiday Inn Express on the Sunday night & were delighted, same standard of room & breakfast for £54 per room per night. It's not rocket science ;o)

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Lynette M
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed here on business , and found the hotel of a very good standard, superb facilities, and very good food.
The single room I had was ample in size, and very comfortable, I have stayed in smaller double or twin rooms in other hotels in the past.

I would definitely stay here on any future trip to the area, far better than neighbouring hotels.

Room Tip: Don't be fearful of booking a single if travelling alone - mine had a balcony, which seems to be standard for most
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Second stay at the hotel. It is a large chain hotel but the staff manage the personal touch - reception, bar, health club all greeted us in a friendly but professional way and nothing was too much trouble. Rooms are OK - as you would expect in a hotel like this and kept clean.If all large chain hotels were run as well as this I would stay at them more often. I think the management and staff deserve credit for showing how it should be done.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple