5,934 results
All reviewsthe executive loungehuge hotelcourtesy busbusy hotelgenting arenaleisure facilitiesvisiting the necstayed here for one nightconventionconcertmotorway
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have stayed here twice in two months.

First time was working at the FOCUS on Imaging expo at the NEC Birmingham.

The hotel is comfortable, but the lavish reception/foyer is not echoed in the room decor. The first stay was approximately three nights and on one of those nights I visited the (I think it was called) Millers Restaurant. Do not try the bearnaise sauce - I did and I was violently ill. We narrowed it down to this sauce by comparing what each of us at the table had eaten (much the same mains).

Aside from that the stay was rather nice and uninterrupted.

The second (and more recent) time I stayed was working at the Gadget Show also at the NEC Birmingham - a five night stay.

My original booking was for six nights including breakfast, but rang ahead about 5 days before arriving to say I couldn't stay the first night and changed my booking to five nights. I was told they had put a note on my booking.

The following week I arrived at the hotel after a two and a half hour drive - my booking had been cancelled. The helpful receptionist reinstated my booking. I went to breakfast the next morning, they had not reinstated the booking to include breakfast.

After the first night I headed back to work at the Gadget Show and at lunch time realised I had left my wallet in my hotel room (stupidly I had left it on the table). I returned to my hotel to pick up my wallet and it was sitting there, on the table with 40 pounds missing from it (I am still going through the steps with the police). My room had been serviced by housekeeping.

The hotel deputy manager was indeed extremely helpful and apologetic and security was equally as professional.

The next day I returned from the Gadget Show to find I had no soap in the bathroom and house keeping had left cleaning product in my bathroom.

Aside from the above, the bed was comfortable, there are plenty of power sockets in the walls fr charging various things, the shower pressure is half decent, the toilet roll holder (as one other reviewer has mentioned) tends to let the roll slip off so tear off with caution... and the towels are a good size.

Unfortunately the breakfast is the best thing about this hotel as most of the food in each of the restaurants is (in my opinion) below average.

The pool and jacuzzi are lovely - just watch out for kids throwing balls and kick boards around at high speeds. The gym is quite small.

I'm sorry to say, if my stay wasn't business related I don't think I would ever use this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank KimN4
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear KimN4

Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to learn of the issues you experienced during your last couple of visits to the hotel. I would point out that Hilton has an extremely thorough investigation process for any alleged food poisoning incident and had we have been made aware of your concern, we would not have hesitated to instigate these investigations.

I can advise that whilst internal investigations have been carried out, we are of course always happy to co-operate with any Police enquiries.

I do regret that your recent visits have failed to meet your expectations and nevertheless, do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole in the near future.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We attended Gadget Show Live at the NEC and booked the Hilton for 2 nights. On arrival we were upgraded to a 5th floor room (top floor) - this cost £20 but was worth it. The room was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. Very importantly the bathroom was also clean and the towels were huge (nothing worse than drying yourself on a handtowel after a nice bath!). The walk to NEC took literally 5 minutes, and after walking around for 8 hours we headed back to the hotel very tired, planning to watch movies (unlimited for £8.50) and order room service. We ordered extra sides as we were hungry and worried the portions would be small-they were not! The food was delicious and although we spent £40 on food and several drinks we could have spent half of that (we wheeled the leftovers out into the hallway, these were removed overnight). I should point out that the food was delivered by an extremely polite young lady, who asked if she could enter our room / where she should leave the trolley etc. No need for such politeness with us but we appreciated it nonetheless! All staff were
lovely, and very helpful - telling us the best route to NEC, checking we had a pass for the car park etc. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank RachaelBear
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Rachael

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us.

I was naturally pleased to see that you had found everything to your liking during your stay with us and that you were particularly impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members. Your comments will be shared with them.

I was also glad that you had enjoyed your in room dining and found your upgrade good value for money.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We've stayed at this same hotel the year before and found it to be absolutely fine for what we needed. So there was no reason for us not to stay again due to it being so convenient for the NEC.
The room was fine apart from a few annoying features in the bathroom with the toilet roll holder finding many different ways of throwing the roll onto the floor!!!
The bathroom was very small and wasn't the best.
The worst part about our stay was this "Kitacon" convention which was being hosted in the hotel.
It basically consisted of hundreds of weirdly dressed people with zero social awareness of their surroundings or the people around them.
When i say weirdly dressed we are talking women with balaclavas on and pretend hand grenades on a belt.....

I don't really mind what people want to do with their own time but it was more the way they behaved in communal areas where some of us just wanted to relax and have a quiet drink...

It was funny watching some of them with what they were wearing but that wore off after the umpteenth stuffed toy came waltzing past!!
Plus some of them decided to have a piggy back race down the corridor at 1am :-(

I'd say that wash't entirely the hotels fault but it affected my stay and so my rating as a result is reduced.

Room Tip: Check if their is a Kitacon convention happening when you go, if it is then avoid the place like the plague!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JeffdebDurham

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to learn that the recent Convention that was held at the hotel had caused you inconvenience and do hope that despite this issue, we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I booked a Family Room at the Hotel as I had travelled to Birmingham for the Gadget Show Live at the NEC and after some research it seemed ideally positioned for our our needs. The Hotel is only across the road from Hall 5 at the NEC an a five minute walk, well signposted through a small park and around a lovely lake to the rear of the hotel. Reception was easily loacted and the check - in completed quickly. The Hotel is very large and covers more than one accommodation we checked in at Lobby A so I assume that Lobby B was in the next block. Our room (2024) was on the second floor overlooking the lake, the corregated red and white fascias of the NEC thankfully obscured by trees. The room was a decent size with one Double and a Double Sofa Bed which had already been made up. Tea/Coffee making facilities were found in the cupboard under the TV and there was a hairdryer, iron & ironing board available. Radio and Flat screen TV with a number of free channels and the option of Pay to View. Our room had a balcony, accessible from windows at either end, but to be honest it did stretch the definition somewhat being only about a foot wide!!!

Not so good bits.....

When we entered the room we were met by a damp stale smell which did go eventually or either we ignored it. The left hand window to the balcony and adjacent to the double bed would not secure fully and was draughty. The floor standing light didn't function and the extractor fan in the bathroom did not function. The integrated iron also meant that you had to drag it over to the other side of the room as here were no immediate sockets.

The really good bit.....

We did have to queue at breakfast (8.00am) but given that there were a lot of guests, this was quickly sorted and we were seated within minutes. The breakfast was excellent, buffet style with every choice from fruit, cereals to cooked was catered for and in abundance.

Beds were comfy and we enjoyed a lovely (if sometimes draughty) sleep.

In summary.....

The hotel is a four star and although we only saw a very small part of it I would not disagree. I did get the room at a reduced price of £89.00 which for a family room was reasonable, however I think I would have been a little disappointed given the issues with the room, if I had payed the going rate of £149. Overall though a good hotel and excellent position for the NEC, LG Arena and Birmingham International Railway.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a lovely view over a well tended park and lake with fountain. Rooms at the rear will overlook the extensive corrugated fascias of the NEC but they are partially obscured by trees.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LardyOne
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Great service starting from the airport collection. Room clean, staff friendly, can't fault anything.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple