“Second Time at the Bloc. Still good.”

Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed at the Bloc in Birmingham last year, last trip stayed at the Etap hotel - similar minimalist concept - but didn't like the area, so very happy to go back to the Bloc and the wonderful Itihass Indian restaurant just down the road. Don’t have much patience with reviewers who book into a budget minimalist hotel only to grumble that they're not getting the facilities of an ordinary and much more expensive hotel. I still find this a modern & exciting hotel and I like the concept. It’s probably the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. I think the rooms are solid and well designed, the waterfall shower is really good (glad I don't have to clean all the glass) and the TV's adequate. The staff are really nice, always very helpful, and the free Wi-Fi works no problem. It’s not close to New Street so you'll probably need a cab if travelling by train, and there is sometimes some noise from other guests, so I always use my earplugs when sleeping or ask then to shut up. Apart from the last two points I can’t fault it.

Room Tip: You pay a premium for a room with a window - but why bother especially in the winter?
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Wow, thank you for your kind comments. It's nice to know that 12 months into opening that we are still keeping up to our high standards. Cleanliness is next godliness after all!

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only the one night due to a show at the NIA - On arrival The receptionist was polite and very helpful - I stayed in a room with no window. The room was elegant, modern and stylish and although compact there was sufficent space to place luggage out of the way. there was a small desk to work at if required and seating available other than the bed..
The bed was comfortable and there were additional pillows available in the room if required (something that other hotels dont tend to offer)
The room was well designed (a great use of space) with plenty of lighting and the tv placed into the wall was excellent.
The bathroom/wet room although compact was bright.modern and stylish and again a great usage of space
I had a very good nights sleep and the only grumble i would have - is because of the japanese style flooring - as other guests walked to their rooms their footfalls sounded loud and sometimes when doors closed, again these sounded loud.. Other than that i would recommend this establishment i would also recommend upgrading to a room with a window (waking up in the dark is quite strange (perhaps some kind of night light especially near the bathroom.

Room Tip: Book a room with a window.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank claudine w

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a Sunday night for an early work commitment the following morning in Birmingham. I was initially a little hesitant as I have never stayed in a ‘pod’ inspired hotel and worried (being 6’3” and as wide as I am tall…well nearly) that the room might be a little small for me.

I have to say though that I was pleasantly surprised. The rate for the night was £35 and whilst of course that means that you’re not going to get a spa, restaurant or bar in the hotel, I really didn’t miss these things.

The room was small but well appointed and there were enough cleverly designed nooks and crannies for luggage, shoes etc to be pushed out of the way. The bed was large and comfortable and felt rather snug with the fancy flat screen TV in the opposite wall. I did treat myself and splash out an extra £5 for a superior room (which meant that I had a window in my room).

Some reviewers have complained about the wet room style bathroom. Clearly this is something that assists in retaining the compactness of the accommodation and with a little thought before you turn the shower on I found that I wasn’t having to walk back into the room once dressed and get wet feet. In any event the floor dried very quickly indeed, probably due to the excellent air conditioning system.

I didn’t venture into any of the nearby bars or restaurants as I was on my own but I had a walk through the near by St Philips square and it was very pretty.

All in all I found the “elegant simplicity” rather refreshing and for £35 a night it’s difficult to find anything to grumble about at all. I will definitely stay here again the next time I have an overnight trip to Birmingham and I hope that when they open their London properties they keep the £35 room rate instead of taking advantage of higher London prices because despite all the good points above, I would certainly not pay more than £35 a night for a room of this type, regardless of the location.

Room Tip: Pay the extra £5 for a window otherwise you'll feel rather trapped in
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Hamish989
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

I couldn't have said it better myself! 'Affordable elegant simplicity'. Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel is simply a place to get your head down and sleep. It's ideal for those who are not looking to spend time in the hotel, and are just in need of somewhere nice to sleep before heading off somewhere else. It has all the basics covered, but the nice thing about Bloc is that the basics are done in style. So the bed is comfortable, the tv is great, the lighting is lovely, the bathroom is cool. But best of all everything works and it is immaculately clean. The only thing I would dispute about Bloc's claims on the website is the soundproofing - I heard people clumping about above me, doors slamming, and people outside on the street. Nevertheless I had a good sleep. The cleanliness and ease of check in/out more than outweigh any noise issues. Also unless you are going to be in the room during the day I wouldn't bother with the extra for the window - I had the blind down the whole time so it might as well not have been there!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank sj101
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Thank you for your lovely review. You understand the concept well!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Arrived at the hotel and checked in. The receptionist handed us a room key but did not give us any other information (I.e check out time). Thought it seemed a bit strange that you had to make your own coffee which you had to pay for.

Room is very well designed. Bathroom facilities great. Bedroom did get very hot and without a window or proper air con unit it was a bit stuffy in the morning.No wardrobe or drawers for clothes and only supplied with one hanger which was a bit of a nuisance.

Bathroom doors mostly clear glass so may make it difficult to use toilet if sharing a room with someone you're not completely comfortable around.

Would go again but would pay extra to get a room with a window and bring my own hangers.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank tom_cope89
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you for your review. The reception staff are aware to inform guests on arrival of where your room is located, wifi, vending facilities and that reception is 24hrs. Check out time is written on the keycard that is given to you on arrival and also displayed on the display screen on the TV when the TV is switched on. I will however pass on your comments to the hotel manager to re-fresh their check-in script. I am pleased to hear that this has not deterred you from staying at the hotel again.