“Truly excellent - an amazing meal!”
Review of Restaurant Folium

Restaurant Folium
Ranked #14 of 2,537 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 94
Description: A Modern British restaurant situated on Caroline Street, St Pauls Square, Birmingham. Ran and owned by Chef Ben Tesh and partner Lucy Hanlon.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I had along leisurely lunch at Folium to celebrate my 70th birthday. It was truly memorable - we both had the five-course menu and were totally knocked out by the quality and tastes set before us. Highlights of the meal were wonderful turbot, delicious lamb and a knockout dessert. A bottle of Turkish Chardonnay (!) went well with everything. The décor is soothing, quiet and restrained, and the service was unobtrusive and very competent. Certainly the whole meal was in my top three of lifetime dining-out experiences - it really was that good. And thanks to the staff for the birthday card!

1  Thank southendbootboy

Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

Yesterday my wife and myself ate lunch at Folium. I had the 5 course tasting menu and my wife had the set 3 course lunch.
The food was top quality. The tastes and textures were out of this world. The staff were brilliant.,knowledgeable, friendly and enthusiastic.
We had a bottle of prosseco with our meal and the total bill was £114, which for food and service of this quality was good value.
I really can't praise Folium enough and we will definitely be returning soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2018

Our first visit. Nice welcome. Went with the tasting menu which was a nice and varied range of well presents dishes. Some of the flavour combinations are highly creative, We did find a couple that were a little over seasoned but still very good. The service was attentive and helpful. The interior is a contemporary design and quite small. Seats around 20ish The value is very good and having eaten at all the West Midlands fine dining establishments we would rate this as worthy of a Michelin Star.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

Wow, what a fabulous meal! One meal I will not forget in a hurry. I recommend everyone who lives or stays in Birmingham for a few nights to go to this restaurant. The staff were cheerful, slick and informative about each course. The food, OMG, I am still thinking about how delicious and exquisitely presented the food was treated. There were combinations that I just couldn’t even try to replicate. The dishes were an explosion of amazing flavours. I live an hour away but I have found a place that I would happily travel to just for another taste sensation.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

This is a very easy recommendation as it’s the best food we have had in Birmingham - by a mile.

Superb cooking, glorious ingredients, stunning presentation and the icing on the cake? Exceptional service.

We discovered Folium via TripAdvisor and booked in advance (you should book).

We received a call asking about my partner’s lactose intolerance. Real interest was shown in finding alternatives for some of the dishes she couldn’t have. This was double checked on the night, which was a real comfort.

At the end of the meal we were asked which was our favourite dish. This was extremely problematic as everything from the amuse-bouche to the final dessert was amazing.

They also have a very clever way to help you select the right wine to fit your pallet. I’ll let you discover that little secret when you go.

All in all a wet Wednesday night in Birmingham was made much brighter thanks to the fabulous Folium.