1,088 results
All reviews the penthouse sky tv mini apartment floor to ceiling windows milk in the fridge iconic building electric juicer ipod dock washing machine bull ring memory foam living area lovely apartment these apartments serviced apartment little touches well equipped kitchen
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We chose the Penthouse at the Rotunda to celebrate my big 50th Birthday.
Room wise, we could not fault it whatsoever, it was perfect with amazing views.
Sadly, the same cannot be said about the staff at reception. Their whole attitude was appalling and unhelpful. A welcoming smile wouldn't go amiss, for starters. It's very strange, how a reviewer who stayed one day before us, paid a deposit of £125,whereas the staff crossed out the same amount on the sheet, and instead wrote £250! Wherever we have stayed in the past, it is policy to collect payment when you leave. While we did not mind paying upfront, we were shocked to pay an additional deposit on top. The Staff refused to take payment over the phone from a third party, and also refused to take cash. Their attitude really put a dent in my special day.
Also, they were happy to take your deposit immediately, and stated that it would be refunded when you checked out. Haha, when the time came, they then said it would take two days to clear.
Suffice to say, that we will not be returning back here.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Guest R, Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Liam Jeffries

We were all a little taken aback by your review following your 50th Birthday stay with us.

Like all other hotels we take a deposit or a pre-authorisation from all arriving guests. This is used to both pay for any purchased treats while in house as well as a damages deposit.

We always try to be as transparent and upfront as we possibly can and we know that you received information about the security deposit in three different ways:

- On Expedia, the site you booked through, the deposit was shown in the ‘Mandatory Property Fee' (under the price) and it is also listed under 'Hotel Policies'.
- We then followed up your Expedia confirmation with our own booking confirmation that explains the security deposit amounts
- We then sent you a further email 48 hours before check-in with lots of useful information including a repeat of the security deposit information.

I’m really sorry about the confusion regarding the amount of the security deposit on your check-in sheet. Our deposits range from £125 to £500, depending on the size of apartment you booked: the bigger the apartment, the bigger the deposit. On your arrival day we noticed that the deposit amount on your check-in sheet was incorrect for your apartment type and my colleague manually corrected it with the intention of reprinting it before you arrived. Unfortunately, we were so busy that day that the reprint never happened.

It has always been a Staying Cool policy not to take take cash, due to the increasing number of fake notes in circulation and us not wanting to keep cash on site. Similarly, due to the rise in credit card fraud we do not accept telephone payments from third parties as this is a very common way that fraudsters like to operate ie when neither chip and pin nor 3D secure are used. We have been able to thwart a number of attempted frauds over the years through these policies.

All security deposits are refunded on check-out day and they can take between 2-5 days to reach your account, depending on the speed of your bank and the type of card used. This is the same process that all businesses have to use - whether large or small.

Our Guest Relations team pride themselves on their fantastic customer service and levels of care to all arriving guests. The team were very excited about your arrival and your birthday celebrations so much so that they organised the complimentary bottle of wine that was waiting in your apartment fridge.

We are all very sorry to hear that you would not chose to return to us. I know from being here on the day of your check in that our Guest Relations team did everything they could to assist you.

Kind Regards

Alex

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, apartment was lovely....a proper home away from home. Views from the apartment looking out across Birmingham were stunning. Location is really central, right next to Bullring and Grand Central......would definitely stay again

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Gavin B, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi laurenyoung106

Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a fab review!

We're so pleased you made the most of the apartment and the location (we are very lucky, especially with the festive markets on the way).

Hope to see you again soon.
Best

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This was my first stay in a serviced apartment and I wasn’t too sure Whwhat to expect. The check in didn’t particularly fill me with confidence but I needn’t have worried. Once inside the apartment it was superb. Plenty of space, with separate seating area, kitchenette and bedroom. Very clean and a wonderfully comfy bed. The star of the show for me however was the far reaching city view. I was on the 16th floor and spent a lovely evening just gazing out and as it was bonfire night, had a bird’s eye view of all the fireworks!

Trip type: Travelled on business

Hi Snargater

Thanks for the five stars!

The views are just something else, especially at this time of year - I love watching the fireworks!

Sorry to read that check-in wasn't what you expected, do let me know if you think there is anything we can change there, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Really hope to see you again in the future.

Best

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

My partner and I stayed over for two nights over a weekend. I vaguely remember seeing when I was browsing for a hotel what was included in the package. One of which was an iPod docking station. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised with the room etc.
We had enjoyable weekend. I had noticed on the Saturday (arrived on the Friday) that there was NO docking station. I had mentioned to my partner “I thought we were supposed to have had a docking station” thought no more of it wasn’t that bothered either way.
Upon arriving home on the Sunday after a lovely weekend away. I had a phone call from the receptionist stating that “if I did not return the iPod docking station by 10pm my £125 deposit would not be refunded”. I argued there was NO docking station in the room. The receptionist asked why I did not think to tell reception it was missing???? Well one it’s not my job to go through a checklist of whether everything is in the room as it should be and in a million years I never thought I’d get accused of stealing it. Something has to be there to be stolen. How can I steal what wasn’t there??? I also said I wasn’t even sure it was included in the package. I’m not a mind reader and didn’t book the room solely on the reason there was a docking station in the room. I couldn’t care less about a docking station so why I would want to then steal one and be charged £125 for one is beyond me.
After endless calls and arguments with the receptionist and the manager ALEX! Who claimed he has listened to my recording to the receptionist where i appparbetly confirmed the docking station WAS there on the Friday (LIE - I DID NOT) he refused to send me a copy of the recording due to “data protection”. I know what I said. I also know there was NO docking station to steal AS IT WASNT THERE. The manager stated the housekeeping manager confirmed it was there upon our arrival on the Friday. LIE. It miraculously vanished between the housekeepers leaving our room and us arriving. What is extremely frustrating is that we can’t possibly prove our innocenence. It is our word against theirs and they aren’t listening to a word I’m saying and they couldn’t care less. We would of gone back there because we loved it. It’s ruined our weekend I’m also £125 down and will never return. The way we have been treated is absolutely disgusting. Never been accused of anything like this in my life and never been treated in such a way. There was no docking station there to be taken!!!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coastal56090769517

Dear Coastal56090769517

Following the team's numerous conversations with you, I conducted a full internal review and can confirm that our checking procedures were correctly implemented and therefore the deposit was legitimately retained.

We always return guest deposits except in the most exceptional circumstances. More than 99.5% of all deposits have been returned since we opened ten years ago. Unfortunately, like all hotels and accommodation providers, we do experience theft and wilful damage from time-to-time and when this happens we have to take the appropriate action.

I am more than happy to go over this again with you - please do get in touch.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 October 2018

Great hotel appartments. Location excellent. Views are spectacular. Layout and fittings are first class. Details are beyond expectations. Everything exactly as described on website. And then some. Stayed a couple of times - same result. Only drawback is artwork/photos on wall which is depressing.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
StayingCoolTracey, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2018

Hi jensen229

Thank you for leaving a 5* review - it's always great to hear from our returning guests. We were all very pleased to read that you think our apartments are first class. We really look forward to seeing you again. Don't forget to use your returning guest discount code when you book via our website.

Best wishes

Tracey

PS Sorry to hear that you think the artwork is depressing! We commissioned the pictures ourselves around other 1960s Birmingham locations. We rather like them but appreciate we all have different tastes.