New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Visiting the hotel a very poor experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stratford Manor Hotel

Stratford Manor Hotel
Sheffield
“Visiting the hotel a very poor experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, but visited relatives there as part of a family reunion, on a quiet week day. We arrived as scheduled, after a long drive and asked at reception for my husband's aunt and uncle, whom he hadn't seen for 20 years. There were 2 staff on reception & no other customers but us. We were told : "Oh, they've gone out". We explained that this was a carefully arranged visit & that we were meeting for lunch. We asked the receptionist to ring the room. "No", she insisted, "They booked a taxi & left at 10.30 this morning". We were then ignored.
We sat in the bar, bewildered. My husband's elderly aunt, uncle & their family were visiting from the U.S.A. & due to return in 2 day's time. We might never get another chance to see them.
The barman was lovely & we explained our problem to him. Finally, after an hour & a half we got up to go. We asked the same receptionist to leave a message & she gave us a piece of paper & a pen, saying she'd push the note under the door.
40 minutes later, my husband's aunt rang from the hotel. They'd been in their room all morning waiting for us & had finally gone down to the bar for luch, after we'd gone. If it hadn't been for the lovely barman realising what had happened & explaining that we'd left 30 minutes before, we'd have missed each other totally. When they asked at Reception why they hadn't rung the room, there was a shrug of the shoulders & the note was produced. With the wrong room number on it, so even that wouldn't have arrived.
After a frantic phone call from my husband's aunt, we turned round & drove back to the hotel. I complained to the now different Reception staff, whose sole response was a patronising "Aaah". No acknowledgement, no apology & even less concern.
At 7pm a photocopied sheet with the dinner menu on it was produced by a harassed &, I'm afraid, sweaty maitre d' who asked that, as there were over 20 of us, we choose from what was readily available, rather than the a la carte dinner menu. There were no prices on it. When I asked, I was told that they'd do it for £26 for 3 courses. I asked how much it would be for 2 courses, as I don't eat puddings. The reply was an exasperated, "Oh, well, we'll do that for £20". We didn't stay for dinner & we'll never, ever stay at the hotel.
Thank heavens for the barman, otherwise we might never have met up with my husband's family.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RosySheffield
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear RosySheffield,
I am sorry for the experience you encountered at Stratford Manor. Having spoken directly to your husbands Aunt and Uncle, they are aware of why the confusion arose. With regards to the dinner service your husbands Aunt booked a table at 18.15 for 20 people and requested that the table and meal be ready for 18.45. Naturally we will always do our best for our guests and on this occasion it was discussed with your husbands Aunt that a Table d'hote menu be the best option to ensure everyone received a speedy service and so that we could meet the deadline of 18.45. As I recall on the evening we did offer the A La Carte to some of your party and due to your groups organisation you did not sit down until 19.30 for your dinner and your numbers constantly fluctuated during the dinner.
I can assure all guests that this guests response is not a true reflection of how Stratford Manor look after our guests and do ask that you read other reviews to restore your faith in us.
Operations Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Tadworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We found this hotel to be mediocre needing investment in the rooms and particularly bathrooms. Externally the grounds and fabric of the building were a bit scruffy. Bed incredibly hard (and we like a firm bed) and cheap uncomfortable pillows / synthetic duvet. Arriving at 5pm on a Sunday, the corridors were full of piles of dirty bed linen.

However, the staff were universally pleasant and helpful, and the evening meal was pretty good for a hotel. The bar and restaurant were quite pleasant too. Breakfast was OK too- could have been hotter. And in fairness the room was very good value on a Sunday night, which I suppose doesn't leave much room for investment. Chesford Grange (another local Q hotel) has much better rooms, but worse ambience in the public areas. Surprised Q hotels don't refurbish the whole lot when they upgrade to avoid such mixed experiences in individual hotels.

Room Tip: In the block away from the main road
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gaspari
Dear Gaspari,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you found Stratford Manor to be tired however am pleased that you did receive value for money and that our team looked after you well. Stratford Manor spent over £200,000 last year upgrading the building and a further £210,000 has been secured for investment this year with the biggest project being the creation and opening of 3 treatment rooms giving Stratford Manor a spa facility. These works are scheduled to finish in early October.
Hook
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights over the weekend, as we were attending a wedding in the area. The staff were of usual QHotel standard, extremely helpful, courteous and friendly. Chris, the hotel driver was an absolute gem and ferried as back and forth between the wedding venue a few times. We found the food good, although a little more variety would not go amiss. Style wise this hotel would not be my first choice, as it is rather modern and I prefer the older buildings with more character. Naturally, this is a personal choice and does not reflect on the personal service or quality of the hotel. I would have given Stratford manor five stars, if there hadn't been to downsides. The cupboards are far too small and my major criticism is the disgraceful state of the patio furniture. I ripped a new pair of Brioni trousers on them, which I was going to wear for the evening wedding reception. Therefore, the stay has cost me more in new garments, than the hotel bill.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear CorpoHook,
Thank you for reviewing Stratford Manor. Whilst pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that 'Taxi Chris' ensured you got to the wedding venue on time I am sorry that your trousers were ripped. We are in the process of sourcing funds to replace our patio furniture as it is not in-keeping with the rest of the hotel. I do hope this incident will not deter you from staying at Stratford Manor in the future.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have stayed here in the past, albeit a couple of years ago. I am pleased to say the standard is still excellent and we really enjoyed revisiting. Prior to our visit, a member of the hotel staff rang with an offer to upgrade from B&B to also include the evening meal at a discounted rate. In view of our previous good experience with the hotel we took them up in their offer and we were not disappointed. We had fabulous food every night. All the hotel staff were tremendous and nothing was too much trouble. One of the male staff on reception even gave us a discount voucher for Warwick Castle and saved us £21.60 off the entrance fees! Well done! We will be back again the next time we are visiting the area!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaryG47
Dear MaryG47,
Thank you for reviewing Stratford Manor. I am delighted that our team looked after you on your return visit to the hotel. We pride ourselves on our customer care and I'm really pleased that we could help you save money when you visited Warwick Castle. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Always try to stay at Q hotels because they are consistantly good. we were not dissapointed the staff on desk were very friendly and helpful, bar staff were good but breakfast was a dissapointment to us. Poor quality sausages, bacon dry and overdone, eggs sitting in grease. I don't know if anyone else complained we didn't because everything else was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Blenkarn,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Whilst pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us I am sorry that our breakfast marred your stay. Your comments have been shared with our Head Chef so that he may review our breakfast presentation. I do hope we have the pleasure of looking after you in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to Stratford Manor soon.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
5.0 km away
2.9 km away
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK