All reviews big lamp hadrian's wall walk micro brewery country park separate building plenty of hot water comfortable room comfortable stay three nights one night stay accommodation tyne newcastle tlc
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Although it is right on the Hadrian's Wall path (which is the only reason it gets two stars), this is the only place we complained about to our tour company, and we would not stay here again. This was the worst accommodation on our 8 day Hadrian's Wall Walk. When they walked us to the cinderblock out-building that was our "room," I thought we were walking to a luggage shed. Nope--it was a room, and the "beds" were thin, old, and had springs sticking out (I finally slept sitting up so I wouldn't get the spring poking me in the back). The room was not clean, and neither was the bathroom. I have been to camping locations that were better. I realize that spiders can appear from time to time (anywhere), but we had them in the bedroom and bathroom.

The pub/restaurant: lovely outdoor garden, but the food is not good, and neither was the beer.

Breakfast service was TERRIBLE, and so was the food. They had a little old lady serving, by herself (bless her), and she clearly could not handle the few people coming in. They finally had someone come in to help her. And then the food finally came. And it was bad.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Popped in with partner and son on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
The keel man is alway busy in the sunshine - lots of families, couples, cyclists, dog walkers and the like as it's next to a country park.

Drinks are reasonably priced and food is very good.

I only have one problem - and this is not exclusive to the Keelman
It seems that even though there is a long bar to queue along people have decided to stand behind each other pushing the queue outside the door! It's like they are at a Greggs or Starbucks!!
Why are people doing this?

There are 4 bar staff and space on the bar - use it.

All in all though a great place.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Located right on the HWP, and an easy day's walk from Segedunum in Wallsend. The rooms are small, quiet, clean, but do look like they have been through some wear and tear. There is heating available, but there is no central air conditioning, so that on a warm day the room could feel a bit stuffy. (Happily there are very few warm days in Northumberland...)
Loved the microbrewery at the pub with wonderful craft beers. Food was plentiful and good, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I stayed at The Keelman's Lodge after the first leg of my journey on the Hadrian's Wall walk, it wasn't a long day's walking but the rain had been pouring down so i was very happy to see a beautiful lodge in a gorgeous setting. I went to look for the reception area within the busy pub which had a nice ambience. The staff there looked a bit rushed off their feet so i had to wait for a while before I could get anyone's attention (about 10 minutes). Then a lady stopped to ask was i waiting for a table and I said i was there to check in to the accommodation. There was no real response to that except to say Name? and then everything was tapped in and I was handed the key. I know it was busy that afternoon so i did allow for the team being under pressure but I felt a warm welcome was still possible, however brief. Disappointed in the customer service, i took off with my key and headed over to my room in the neighbouring lodge where my expectations were now not high. However... I'm happy to say that things improved from this point forward. The room was very spacious, and there were plenty of shelves/storage for walker boots/bags; the bathroom was spacious too with a proper tub/good power shower so it was the ideal room for a hiker to refresh and relax in. Later i went back to have dinner at the pub restaurant, there was a nice ambience again and the meals were hearty and perfect for a hungry walker, not foodie food, more filling food, but in nice surroundings and good value. The waiting staff in the restaurant were all lovely and attentive so my view was changing on the customer service at this point. I had an early night with a long day's walking ahead and the bed was very comfortable in this respect. Breakfast had lots of options and the lady who had checked me was a new woman, perhaps a morning person (which i'm not myself!) so all in all everything was better now. I guess i had arrived during a stressful time the night before but i think it's fair to say that first impressions do count. In the end i really enjoyed my stay and the lodge is very good value for money so I would stay again and hope for a better start next time.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 20 July 2017

We found the staff very welcoming and efficient, from the gentleman who,showed us to our room, to the waitresses at dinner, and the lady in charge of breakfast. Our room was comfortable and clean. Dinner was slightly disappointing with very tough lamb chops, although puddings and the home brewed beer were excellent. Rock hard poached eggs at breakfast - no excuse for that - how hard is it to cook an egg properly? All in all, a good stop for those walking the Hadrian's Way, rather than someone expecting a romantic break.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple