All reviews big lamp hadrian's wall walk micro brewery country park separate building plenty of hot water comfortable room comfortable stay three nights one night stay accommodation tyne newcastle tlc
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I stayed at The Keelman's Lodge after the first leg of my journey on the Hadrian's Wall walk, it wasn't a long day's walking but the rain had been pouring down so i was very happy to see a beautiful lodge in a gorgeous setting. I went to look for the reception area within the busy pub which had a nice ambience. The staff there looked a bit rushed off their feet so i had to wait for a while before I could get anyone's attention (about 10 minutes). Then a lady stopped to ask was i waiting for a table and I said i was there to check in to the accommodation. There was no real response to that except to say Name? and then everything was tapped in and I was handed the key. I know it was busy that afternoon so i did allow for the team being under pressure but I felt a warm welcome was still possible, however brief. Disappointed in the customer service, i took off with my key and headed over to my room in the neighbouring lodge where my expectations were now not high. However... I'm happy to say that things improved from this point forward. The room was very spacious, and there were plenty of shelves/storage for walker boots/bags; the bathroom was spacious too with a proper tub/good power shower so it was the ideal room for a hiker to refresh and relax in. Later i went back to have dinner at the pub restaurant, there was a nice ambience again and the meals were hearty and perfect for a hungry walker, not foodie food, more filling food, but in nice surroundings and good value. The waiting staff in the restaurant were all lovely and attentive so my view was changing on the customer service at this point. I had an early night with a long day's walking ahead and the bed was very comfortable in this respect. Breakfast had lots of options and the lady who had checked me was a new woman, perhaps a morning person (which i'm not myself!) so all in all everything was better now. I guess i had arrived during a stressful time the night before but i think it's fair to say that first impressions do count. In the end i really enjoyed my stay and the lodge is very good value for money so I would stay again and hope for a better start next time.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 20 July 2017

We found the staff very welcoming and efficient, from the gentleman who,showed us to our room, to the waitresses at dinner, and the lady in charge of breakfast. Our room was comfortable and clean. Dinner was slightly disappointing with very tough lamb chops, although puddings and the home brewed beer were excellent. Rock hard poached eggs at breakfast - no excuse for that - how hard is it to cook an egg properly? All in all, a good stop for those walking the Hadrian's Way, rather than someone expecting a romantic break.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2017

We stayed here while walking Hadrian's Wall. The rooms are okay - a bit like a Travelodge, with warnings to say "don't lock yourself out, there are no night-time staff" everywhere. In most places our bags appeared in our rooms - but we had to do it ourselves here.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2017

We stayed here after our first of eight days walking Hadrian's wall. It is perfectly located for walkers, as is virtually on the route, and apart from rooms, also has a pub attached with its own brewery. The rooms felt a little bit tired, but were good for one night, and bathroom was adequate. We ate in the pub, and the food was really good, and staff extremely helpful. We had a room at the front, and not sure if it might be a bit dark at the back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

This room was more like a grade B hotel. The linens were from the last century, weak pillows. Bed was average. Lots of hot water, good wifi, very quiet. We were just there one night. Food was nothing great, again, average & adequate. Greeted by older lady who ran us through the usual questions quickly, efficiently. This is not a small guest house with the personal touch. Recommend using disposable glasses in the bath verses dangerous glass.
Also, this time of year there is nearly no darkness... room darkening window treatments would be appreciated.

Stayed: June 2017