“Amazing night”
Review of Popworld

Popworld
Ranked #13 of 21 Nightlife in Guildford
More attraction details
Owner description: PopWorld has landed in guildford!!! Pumping out Pop Classics & Party Anthems with some of the best drink deals in town! So whether you just want to party or you fancy something a little extra special with one of our VIP packages, PopWorld is the place for you.
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Booked a VIP booth at Popworld we had an amazing night out- could not of asked for anything else, the hostess was lovely, table was decorated, drinks were cheap, security were great and the whole overall vibe of the club was great! Would definitely recommend and will be rebooking soon!

1  Thank EllaBrown365
Popworld G, Manager at Popworld, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Hi EllaBrown365

Thanks for your review!

We are glad you all had a good time, and hope to see you again very soon!

Kind regards, The Popworld team!

Reviewed 27 May 2018

Last night was my first time at Popworld, yet it was not.

I had to go back and retrieve my bag, and got separated from the group I came with as they entered, around 11pm. So, next time around, maybe 10 - 15 minutes later, I approached the entrance, once again, alone.

There was a group in front of me, young women, taking selfies on a phone held above their heads. I stepped aside, maybe 2 feet, to avoid being in the shot. My photo ID had been checked already. That was when madness started.

‘GET BACK IN LINE,’ barked this woman, and honestly, before I could even start explaining myself, she placed a hand on my shoulders, and pushed me away, with maximum force, screaming, ‘you not coming in here’. I’m 6 feet 2. I staggered back, trying to find my balance.

A male ‘bouncer’, her colleague, soon joined her, chest heaving, saying ‘You can’t come in here’, even as tried to make sense of what was happening, all the while explaining myself.

Soon, a manager come round. He was there only to reinforce the ‘human wall’ against me. I had to say to him, ‘Please, listen to me, without any of that preconception...’. He kept repeating, ‘I believe my staff’.

I have 2 SIA licences, I did say to them, by way of a proper introduction. I also informed them I will be 50 years old in June, so have no need to be playing pranks at the door. I let know my fiends were inside, and that one of them has my jacket. My house keys are still in this jacket.

They PUSHED me off the premises, into the rain, eventually, with the aid of a third ‘bouncer’. This was a second physical assault on the night - all this transpiring in 5 minutes or less. ‘We don care about all that...’ they said to me from across the barrier - to my explanations about who I was. It seemed everything I said fell on deaf ears, like they were somehow affronted by anything and everything I was saying, including that I have manned doors before and know they were being impolite, even poorly trained for the role.

Soon, they had police in, since by then a small crowd had gathered, as I told the so-called manager about his seeming preconceptions, bedside he had bothered to hear my version of events only after I said LISTEN, at least 4 times. He, and the rest 3 ‘bouncers’ of the team, including the initial pusher, seemed interested only to point out my tone of voice, at this point, as the reason I was being kicked out, though we all seemed to be speaking with raised voices, at this point.

I was anxious about several things, understandably: my 3 friends had no idea I was stuck outside and one of them had my jacket, which I had leant to her to cover up, earlier on, due to the rain. Secondly, my phone battery was in the red, by this time, and the possibility of contacting my friend through it was getting slimmer, all the more compounded by the din inside. They proffered to help to even retrieve my things.

The police ‘interrogation’ lasted only short while - with one eventually going over to the ‘management’ to ‘confirm’ my version of events, at my insistence, that I had merely stepped aside to avoid being in the shot of the selfie takers. He came back, in a couple of minutes, to say: ‘They said you were trying to get in without paying’.

There was no opportunity for me to hear this allegation, or even to question it, which was interesting, as till this point, I still had my cards, both my photo ID and bank card, out. And, the only way I could have gone in without paying would have been through the exit door, and this was manned by at least 2 bouncers, the woman who first pushed me initially, and a man.

The police ‘implied’ that I leave, saying ‘there was no way’ the management was now going to let me in - as if I did not already know that. No mention of my jacket and keys, just ‘Drop him a text’ in reference to my NEED to contact my friends. The police is your friend indeed.

I left in the end, after standing outside nearly for 2 hours, waiting for any kind of response from my friends. It took great efforts to brace my ego and hold back my embarrassment as I departed. I got home at 01:46, this morning, and entered only with the help of my landlady.

As of now, I have still not heard back from my friends. They came over to see me from London, 3 of them. Two of them I had only just met. The third one, who brought the rest, I had last seen in 2005. Hopefully, we can get together sometime again soon. But for now I am hoping I can locate them, even if just to get back my jacket with my house key.

I have audio and video tappings of this incident, including pictures, which I will share to Facebook and other socials in due course. My present restrainst to publish is only because I do not wish to prejudice this matter. Nevertheless, I did inform them I was recording, as soon as they laid their hands on me the second time, and they said back they did not care. This can be heard on the recordings.

Perhaps Popworld Guildford are undermanned and overwhelmed by crowds. But this is a business.

So, I will progress this to the SIA and maybe further.

3  Thank idalujoseph
Popworld G, Manager at Popworld, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear idalujoseph

Your account of the incident is very different to ours and involves you threatening to beat the 5ft 0' female door lady and being moved on by police. So will have to agree to disagree on this one. Do feel free to share your footage of the night as we feel you'll come out quite badly, as always we'll work with the police and SIA to resolve this matter.

Kind Regards, The Popworld Team

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Was visiting some friends at uni and they recommended going to pop world. Had such a great night here, good music, good deals on drinks! Overall such a fun night!

1  Thank Freedom666826
Popworld G, General Manager at Popworld, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Hi thank you for your review, hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Best night out in Guildford. Good drinks deals (try the huge cocktails), friendly staff, the confetti explosions scared me half to death but are really cool too! Great night out!

Popworld G, Manager at Popworld, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Hi Thank you for your review, Hope to see you again soon!!!