“Home style B&B rather than hotel style” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean House

Ocean House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aldeburgh
Ocean House
Ranked #10 of 18 Aldeburgh B&B and Inns
London
“Home style B&B rather than hotel style”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Phil and Juliet made us feel very welcome, and the view from our room was great. Parking was an issue, and we had to move the car at 8am or pay in the display carpark. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful, and the communal breakfast table was fine because the other guests were very chatty and friendly.
The shower is hoses attached to the bath taps which didnt work that well. If you turned the tap on too hard the hoses shot off the taps. I ended up sitting down on the floor of the bath to get enough water pressure to wash my hair. I didnt bother having a shower the next day because I couldnt be bothered with the hassle. The shower gel in the shower turned out to be moisturiser, but fortunately I had brought my own.
They could make it a bit smarter with small things like matching containers for tea/coffee (like they have at breakfast for the cereals) and nicer towels. And less clutter in the room. Also putting the tea and coffee at a good height. They also had Horlicks which I am not a fan of, but fortunately had brought my own hot chocolate with me.
Also somewhere to put your bag would be good. The room is not big, so you keep tripping over your bag (if it is on the floor like we did) There is a big dressing table, but we didnt unpack our things into this as we were only there for a short time.
The bed is not very comfortable, I could feel all of the springs.
I also thought it was expensive for the standard of things in the room. We have stayed in much nicer B&B's that were cheaper than this. They have been running this business for a long time, so it was surprising that they hadnt got the little things right to make a better impression.
We also came home with lots of bites all over us, we are not sure if it is from the bed or not. We have had to disinfect all of our belongings.
We had fish and chips at the Aldeburgh fish and chip shop, which I thought was very average, but my boyfriend liked it. We had a nice meal with excellent service at the White Lion, but was more expensive.

Room Tip: all 3 rooms have the same excellent view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank julzinlondon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kent UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We recently spent a couple of nights at Ocean House. Our room was lovely, overlooking the sea and with a comfortable window seat and table provided for comfort. Breakfast was excellent, not only cooked but also fish alternatives as well as fresh fruit salad and yoghurt.
Our hosts were very helpful with their advice about the good restaurants within easy walking distance of the pretty town and altogether we had a most enjoyable stay in Aldburgh. We hope to return in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: All 3 rooms have excellent sea views, but the top room is a suite which has a generous living area a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Wisbech, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Lovely views from suite ,great breakfast and very homely b@b . Well situated on the front but short walk from town .

Room Tip: The suite at the top of the house has large lounge and lovely views but not for the lesser abled as...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We had a very warm welcome when we arrived and were shown to the first floor where our room looked out over the beach. The room felt like staying at an old friend’s house. Every conceivable item that could make your stay pleasant was available in the room, from playing cards to a sewing kit, maps, books, pictures, TV, tea/coffee making, etc. Breakfast itself was “legendary” as so many people say. I can thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1bar2far
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

It is 9 months since my last stay at Ocean House. It intrigued me so much after my first visit in June 2010 (a single night stay due to their being very booked up) that I planned another visit in October for four nights, manginig (due to a cancellation) to reserve the top floor suite with has triple aspect over the beach - and a baby grand piano in the well equipped sittingroom. This was simply heaven. On waking each day I would swim (Aldeburgh is fully east facing which makes for stunning dawns) and enjoy a massive breakfast afterwartds. Phil and Juliet are intriguing hosts and have made a great job of this extraordinary house.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
0.4 km away
14.1 km away
The Ship at Dunwich
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 1 in Dunwich

Been to Ocean House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK