“Can do better”

Ranked #37 of 586 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 29
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy freshly cooked Mediterranean food, wine, cocktails and cask ales in a beautifully restored early 1900 character pub nestled between Leek and Stoke. The Hollybush is a must visit for its Mediterranean food, family friendly dining, kid’s playground and a stunning fully enclosed glass terrace, perfect for all year al fresco dining. This Mediterranean inspired pub and restaurant is ideal for large groups, special occasions, family celebrations and intimate dining.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This was our second visit with family, first visit you couldn’t fault the food, surroundings and the staff were extremely friendly. Our second visit was for my birthday this week and I opted for the Steak with Prawns, in truth it wasn’t good and way way below what I expect from Ego and when mentioning to work colleagues they also commented how bad the steak was when they visited. It was a disappointing experience but I know Ego are better than this and could I suggest sourcing your meat from a butchers a mile away from you, quality believe me. We’ll be back but not in the near future I’m afraid.

Maria S, Guest Relations Manager at Ego at The Hollybush, Stockton Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Fin,

Please could you forward your contact details to info@egorestaurants.co.uk with the date and time of your visit and the reference STB0604 and one of our team will be in touch,

Many thanks.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

First up I enjoyed my visit so let's get that out of the way!

Food was good quality for the most part. Service was pleasant. Ambience excellent.

Issues that I found:
* The bookings were all blocked out from around 1715 online. We took that slot although it was earlier than we'd of liked. What puzzled me was that there were lots of couples dining on tables of 4 and all of those could of been split. As a restaurant manager I understand space can be restrictive but I feel there could be more maleability from the set out floor plan.

* I had the chorizo starter. Very rich. Loved it. Only felt the portion was too big (and I'm a big eater).

* I ordered the hanging skewer after seeing the skewers come out for other tables. Love the theatre. Mine came and it was laid on the plate. Maybe I didn't read the menu correctly? I ordered chicken and chorizo and only got chicken - I was more than happy with what I received and the bill was amended.

* I ordered a limoncello and received a lemonade. The previous issue may show either a lack of attention or just unfortunate luck on my part. Again this was rectified.

I will come back. The three stars just signify my experience that day. I can see why many people rave about the place.

See you soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were celebrating a double birthday, and wanted to go somewhere special. We had previously been delighted at EGO so decided that was our best choice.
There were 12 of us for the meal. We were seated on a long table, with plenty of 'elbow room'.We'd booked in for 6.45pm and the table was ready for us when we arrived.
Service was very good, in spite of the crowd already there. It was a popular night, being 'Steak Night', and half of our party chose from the special steak menu. They were asked how they wanted their steak cooked, and when it arrived, each one was done exactly to their liking.
I had the Prix Fixe meal, as I have a small appetite. I chose Chicken Supreme for the main course, and Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert (which I donated to a grandchild, as I was already full!) which was very good value at £12.95.
We had been told when we booked that the table was ours for two hours, and that we could then move into the bar if we wanted to. As it worked out, they obviously didn't need our table for another service, and we stayed there for as long as we wanted, chatting.
Those of us who live in Stoke had been before, but some of our party had not, and were from other parts of the country. All were very impressed by the ambiance, friendliness of the staff, and most important of all, by the quality and amount of the food!
A very enjoyable celebration, thanks to EGO.

1  Thank PamMcC2013
Maria S, Guest Relations Manager at Ego at The Hollybush, Stockton Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Amazing news Pam - thank you so much for leaving us such a great 5 star review - we really apprecaite it.

We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your special celebration with us, and you all loved the food and the service from the team.

We will pass on your fantastic feedback to the team and look forward to welcoming you and your family back again very soon...

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Went for the first time seen as it is right on my doorstep and i couldn't believe how nice the place was and busy which shows how popular the place is we were seated very quickly and greeted very nicely as soon as we walked though the door we sat down and then our server Hannah come and took our drink and food order We had the Tomato & Garlic Pizza Bread for a starter which was plenty for both of us and we then once we had finished it we were asked did we want our main right away or give a few minutes we said we will have it straight away we only had to wait 5 minutes and our food was brought to us we had Mixed Piri-Piri Chicken, Chorizo, Moroccan Lamb & Chipotle Steak and the 8oz Sirloin which both were very lovely and very hot we didn't go for any desserts as the mains were very filling The service was Amazing and i couldn't thank Hannah enough the only issue i had i didn't have any change to give as a tip which i felt bad for not leaving one due to the amazing Service By Hannah

1  Thank Oliver J

Hi Oliver,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience and for leaving us a great 5 star review - much appreciated!

We are so happy to hear that Hannah helped you to enjoy your evening and that you all loved the food.

We will pass your fantastic feedback onto the team and hope to see you again soon..

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

My partner booked a table as a surprise treat for my birthday. We arrived and were asked to wait at the bar whilst our table was sorted. We ordered drinks and within a few minutes we were seated at our table in the corner. We ordered our food and enquired if the Halloumi had a coating as my partner is gluten intolerant we were told it didn’t. She ordered from the tapas menu and ordered the hanging mixed kebab for me. We sat in excited anticipation waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile I had finished my drink and was trying to catch the eye of a waitress to get another. Because we were up the corner we were forgotten about even though they came to the very next table they were only interested in collecting cash and clearing tables. I did not was to raise my voice and sat patiently to no avail. One waitress was clearly stood talking to her seated mates for a long time about how much your company pays to clean the kitchen canopy! No regard for other customers what so ever. The food eventually arrived after nearly an hour and was wrong. The kebab was chicken and chorizo not the hanging mixed one we ordered. The cheese had a coating which my GF partner felt uncomfortable eating. When we complained imagine our disbelief when the waitress that stood chatting to her mates turned out to be the supervisor. A very disappointing birthday evening. High expectations let down by lack of attention.

1  Thank Whoppett

Hi there,

Please could you forward your contact details to info@egorestraurants.co.uk with the date and time of your visit and the reference STB0404 and one of our team will be in touch to discuss your review with you directly.

Many thanks.