Austen Guest House
US$ 206
US$ 156
  • Restaurant
SACO Bath - St James Parade(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$ 141
US$ 137
US$ 182
US$ 166
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$ 133
US$ 145
US$ 134
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Marian was a wonderful host, with lots of tips for getting the most out of my trip to Bath. I stayed 3 nights at the Austen Guest House in a double room with private bath. The room was comfortable and restful, the breakfasts were delectable, with a wide range of fruits, meats, cheeses, and other gourmet goodies, many produced locally. Marian also cheerfully accommodated my wheat allergy by providing some of the best gluten-free bread I've ever had, made by a local baker. The atmosphere is elegant to match the elegance of Bath and really added to my enjoyment of a very memorable trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Booked via email in March and received confirmation from the proprietor. Arrived in August to be told that our booking was cancelled by the owner herself just the wek before we arrived. Were told that she tried to email us with the cancellation, but not to the address that the booking was made on because she had wiped that from her inbox. No provision had been made for alternative accommodation. Another hotel nearby was then contacted by the owner, but this was not suitable for our needs and more expensive. Accommodation in Bath in August is tight, but the tourist centre found us something suitable. We were told that the owner had family health problems and was unable to honour our booking, but was taking other guests on that night. Disappointed that firstly we were not notified of the cancellation - not good business to delete contact details of a pending guest, and secondly that no alternative arrangements had been made prior to our arrival. Difficult yo recommend on this basis.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
utterwasteoftime, Owner at Austen Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

1) Yes, I did cancel your booking one week before your arrival.
2) I did not say that I wiped out your email address, I explained to you that I kept all correspondance with you under your initial e-mail enquiry. which was that of your ? wife.
3) I sent an e-mail but received an 'out of office' reply. I went to great lenghts to contact your (wife?) company and called the number of C.McN and was told, by the person who answered the phone, that it was not company policy to give out personnel information (your mobile phone number) and was not willing to pass on my message to you.
4) Prior to your arrival, I arranged accommodation for you at another b&b but the owner wanted your confirmation which, of course, was not possible.
5)On your arrival, I organised accommodation for you which was £10 per night more expensive than my rate. I offered to pay the difference of £20 but you refused, therefore your claim that the acommodation was 'too expensive' was not true.
The accommodation was a cottage in the grounds of a b&b and offered 2 en-suite double rooms, sitting room and kitchenette, breakfast served in the main house. I thought it was excellent value and most suitable for you, but not you decided otherwise. Therefore you cannot say that I did not make alternative arrangements.!!!!!!
6)I was not 'taking other guests on that night'.
Your comments are unfounded and unfair, I have nothing more to say on this matter excepet to suggest, that to avoid confusion in the future, that only one person, using just one e-mail address, makes an enquiry/booking.

Reviewed 15 August 2010

The owners of the bed & breakfast are the most warm and caring people, always willing to give you a helping hand.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2010

*Nicely decorated room. Newly renovated en-suite shower. Very clean!
*Owners are really friendly, very helpful and flexible.
*Breakfast was delicious.
*Located a short walk down hill from the city centre and bus/rail station.
The walk back is up hill but still enjoyable and there is always the option of going by bus.
*Free wireless Internet access.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Looking for a B&B I have send an e-mail tot Austen Guest House. I got the message from Marian that there was no room anymore for the days we wanted to stay at this B&B. She was however very friendly to advise us in finding other places to sleep. With all thanks to Marian, we have spend our nights at the Bath University.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple