“Sceptical, but delighted! Look at the set up and then book (or not)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Menu Gordon Jones

Menu Gordon Jones
Ranked #3 of 568 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$ 52 - US$ 71
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Bath UK
“Sceptical, but delighted! Look at the set up and then book (or not)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

A tentative "5" because the format might not appeal to everybody (lunch will take a couple of hours and it is a set menu though my veggie friends have enjoyed meals there too).

About a month ago I used the Tripadvisor app to look at restaurants in Bath (just out of interest, as a local). I saw the number of glowing reviews and thought "yeah, right"!...It didn't seem like a great location but made a mental note to give it a try one day when we had a couple of hours free. Yes, you will need a couple of hours+

On a very wet Thursday morning in April we were able to get a table without any trouble that lunchtime (but I would book to go again). The chef cooked for 5 (on 3 tables) that lunchtime. It's a small, thin, unstuffy restaurant on a bend on one of the main roads out of Bath and the chefs operate from one end of the room behind a 1/2 wall. I have never sat for more than a few minutes watching traffic before; it was strangely hypnotic (or was that the great food and wine?).

The 5 course taster menu (an absolute steal at £25, but I think the price is rising to £30) was fantastic. Wines seemed to hover at the £33-£40 mark (several were also available by the glass) and the waitress suggested that she selected glasses of wine to match the food (3 good-sized glasses came in at £20 - the couple next to us went for a desert wine too).

Apart from the smell of meat searing when we walked through the door (which we soon guessed would be lamb of some sort), we were left in suspense about what we were to be served until it came round from the kitchen. I'm guessing that makes the wine-matching option very popular.

We loved the food, and I would happily bring most of my friends here, but I can see that 30% of my dining companions might not enjoy having great food that didn't meet their faddy needs or would prefer just a couple of courses (there are plenty of other places in Bath that can meet their needs).

The flavours were strong; lovely flavour combinations (nothing spicey - just modern European) and the presentation was beautiful. The only weird thing was that we were served espressos from paper (espresso) cups - eh? We rarely season with salt (except on chips) so we did notice that courses were well seasoned.

If you love quality contemporary cooking, without the pretention, come here. If you want lots of pretention (and a very pretty garden), go to the Priory and remember to look a bit smarter.

If the owners are reading, please shift this place down to Widcombe!

• Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Saltford
“Quite Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I am lucky enough to have eaten in some great places in my time but this has to be the best. Forget the opulence of Le Manoir. The venue is small and simple. They stagger only a few covers in an evening. Chef is an artistic genius with a great sense of humour and he is quite willing to be completely unconventional. We even had Scrambled Seagull’s egg which are only available for 6 weeks in a year and have to be specially licenced!

No menu’s just let them take you on a journey in both extraordinary taste experience and the perfect wine to match. I couldn’t fault it. It’s very clear why this is number one in Bath.

Expect to book an age in advance but look forward to it. It’s actually amazing value too. In bigger more famous restaurants you’d pay three time this for a lessor quality.

3 Thank Jon_Godfrey
London, United Kingdom
“WORDS CANNOT TRULY DESCRIBE THIS EXPERIENCE!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just a fantastic experience, 6 courses, all a suprise, all totally created by someone who must be in line to be THE Gordon of the cullinary world, by no means just another Gordon, this chef, on view to all his diners creates 12 covers each night with total professionalism, even managing to answer the diners many questions as he goes, a true star in the making......BOOK EARLY!!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank chelletom
Bishops Stortford
“great food and music”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

went here for lunch on an overnight visit to Bath, lovely hot day in march and i was initially gutted that i had booked an indoor restaurant, however i was glad i did my wife and i had the £25 5 course option and it was fantastic. I cant fault any of the courses and the music for me was just excellent if you like indie guitar music, would of been even better cranked up a notch.
Im sure chef will be a star to watch out for.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank 1rhamps
Wiltshire
“Wonderful Food, Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We went on a strong recommendation; it and the other reviewers on Tripadvisor, are right, this is impeccable, tasty, food in pleasant, if informal, surroundings. Easily the best meal I have had in Bath (I live locally). This is a chef with great flair, imagination and skill, he will go to the very top (and probably become much more expensive, sadly). Choice is limited to what has been cooked that day, believe me that is positive comment, every course was superb and the overall structure of the meal perfect. Some might find it a bit too informal - the restaurant is so small that you can talk to Gordon in his kitchen while he works and he seems to welcome comments (mind you they were all very positive). There is only one server, she was perfect, judging everybody's needs precisely. Booking can be difficult as the restaurant is small, but it is well worth it, I cannot believe anyone leaves disappointed.

2 Thank Skyraider