“Good collection but not a happy visit”

Fashion Museum Bath
City Sightseeing Bath Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #16 of 178 things to do in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Fashion Museum Bath holds and develops a world-class collection of historical fashionable dress, with which it presents informative and engaging exhibitions and displays and, through the (pre-booked) Fashion Museum Study Facilities, provides opportunities for audiences to engage with the museum collection.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When I knew I should be spending a couple of days in Bath, one of my priorities was to see the Fashion Museum. The collection is displayed in a dark and airless basement, for the good of preserving the fragile textiles. As I had had a good experience with a handheld guide at the Roman Baths I started with one here too. Unfortunately, the lady reading the commentary had a manner I found very annoying, and the device itself smelt horrible, so after the first few numbers I just looked at captions. The best part of my visit was the temporary exhibition about the clothing of various Royal ladies, enhanced by a short video. As I was leaving, I heard another visitor remark to her husband that she felt quite peculiar and needed some fresh air. I felt that there was something wrong with the atmosphere, and think that it could do with ventilating properly. Also, I felt that it had probably been just as it was for quite a few years, and in that time, standards of display have improved, leaving it behind rather. Such a pity, as the collection is splendid.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"clothing"
in 147 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The whole tour takes about 1.5 hours and is very interesting. Clothes and shoes dating back from hundreds of years to the present day

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We really enjoyed our tour through the history of fashion and how the changes were linked to what was happening in the world at that time. Perfect except for the group of teen students who were behaving badly in a museum setting.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very good value, a must see, provided with audio aid as well as booklet, utterly fascinating exhibits ranging from 1600s to present day. Was most impressed by Queen Alexandra’s wedding dress which was loaned among several other items by HM the Queen

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was pleasantly surprised by the Museum, not really know much, or being that interested in fashion I was expecting it to be a bit of a snooze. But the Audio guides are very good breathing giving life and character into what you are looking at through the glass,. The changes in fashion you can see from year to year, decade to decade, is very both interesting and gives pause for reflection.

I came away having quite enjoyed my trip through that past and a history lesson at the same time. The rest of the family also enjoyed it.

While we were there we wandered through the Assembly rooms; and we also bought the joint ticket that gave us access, in addition to the fashion Museum, to the Roman Bath and the Victoria Art Museum.