“Cheque for hotel not presented”

Harington's City Hotel
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Cheque for hotel not presented”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had a nice stay at the Harington Premier Apartment and my review is not with regards to the accommodation provided but more the level of Customer Service I have received since staying at the property. A group of eight of us stayed at the beginning of February. I sent a cheque for a substantial amount for the balance in December. The cheque was only cashed on the 27th of March. The hotel did not make me aware/apologise for the delay in paying in the cheque and have not had the courtesy of replying to my disgruntled email. I just wanted to warn anyone else who are thinking of staying at Haringtons. The accommodation is great but the overall level of service leaves a lot to be desired. We will not be staying with them again after this.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank LJS1976
sullyBath, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
I would like to take a moment to explain what happened with the cheque Laura gave to the hotel. Laura wrote a e-mail to us on Monday night at 8.26pm saying she was unhappy that her cheque had been cashed late. We responded to Laura on Wednesday at 2pm. I had been off on Tuesday so was unable to respond immediately. We are a small hotel so I would be the only one that could investigate and respond to the matter. Maybe we should have sent her a e-mail to inform her that I was off for the day and would reply on Wednesday, but our reception team felt that waiting a day and a half for a reply was acceptable.

The reason the cheque was not cashed in time was due to a mistake by our bank and not ourselves. The bank we bank with does not have a branch in Bath. As a result we have to send cheques by post to them. Anyway they mislaid the cheque and we did not realise that it had not been cashed until we were reconciling our accounts. We did not think that cashing the cheque late would be a problem for the customer. We would like to take this opportunity to apologise to Laura for any inconvenience caused and hope she can forgive the error and return to stay with us again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
essex, uk
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Yes it can be noisy at night, but that is the price you pay for being so central to everything, and of course there is wear and tear (it is the guests that make the damage), the towel rail was too hot, thats for sure . . . BUT the room was beautifully decorated and clean (so was the small bathroom). Our beds were comfortable and has lots of pillows. You cannot fault the staff who were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was superb every morning. The central location was brilliant for us as we took the train and didn't have to worry about a car, with all the problems and expense of parking - we would recommend coming to Bath on the train as everything is within easy walking distance and the trains/buses run frequently and on time. Our room was on the top floor, and no there isn't a lift, but then I don't think they had lifts when these old buildings were built - go to a Holiday Inn if you want the bland and sterile experience, we prefer something a bit more interesting on our breaks away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonkygirl
sullyBath, Owner at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2015
Dear Guest, thank you for your glowing review of your stay. We really are delighted to see you had such a great time staying with us at Harington's Hotel. As you say we are a unique building in a superb central location. Unfortunately we may get some external noise form time to time but this is hard to avoid when you are located so centrally in Bath. We were especially happy to see you found the experience of staying at Harington's to be unique. This is really what we are all about, we try to be different and are not a run of the mill hotel. I hope we have the pleasure of your company again at Harington's in the not to distant future. Peter
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We'd spent twice the price of our room here the week before at a 4* resort which was horrendous. Compared to that Harington's was fantastic - nicely done up rooms but still with a homely feel, extremely polite and friendly staff and tasty breakfast. A model for what the UK tourist industry should be doing

• Stayed March 2012
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

What a lovely little hotel! Everything was perfect. We had a very comfortable, spotlessly clean family room on the second floor. It had everything we needed. The breakfast was superb and the staff very friendly and efficient. A fantastic location, right in the centre of Bath. Reserved parking was available in a car park a short walk from the hotel. We would definitely recommend this wonderful hotel and look forward to visiting again. Many thanks.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, then this hotel may not be the right choice for you as there is no lift. Al...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a wonderful hotel – from the friendly staff to the room to the location to the great breakfast. I was travelling with my mother and we stayed here for 4 nights in February 2012. I booked a large twin room and the parking option. The room had a queen size bed and a single bed, a small couch and a good size bathroom. The room was at the back of the hotel, had a small window in the bedroom and in the bathroom. It was very comfortable. The hotel has free Wi-Fi.

Breakfast was fantastic! You can choose from the buffet and from a menu. It was presented well. We loved sitting in the breakfast area because it had a view onto the street – great people watching. We also ate in the bar which has a small menu that was good. The hotel is located in the centre of Bath and the majority of historic sites are within walking distance of the hotel.

There is a Laundromat about 800 metres away at Margaret Buildings. This was week five of a six week trip – so doing laundry is important.

Parking and driving in parts of Bath can be tricky. I did not have a detailed map of the city nor GBS. I was frustrated by the one way streets and the road works and couldn't easily find my way. I stopped at the Landsdowne Hotel to ask directions. The staff were great and they gave me directions and a map to the Harrington. There was another hiccup on Queen’s square (I asked for more directions) until I finally got to the Harrington. I parked on the pavement (there is no parking in the street) and checked in. When told I would have to drive a short distance to the car park I had a small melt down ( I also had a cold and had driven all day!) The staff were sensational with me. They helped me unload the bags, and then organized for a staff member to accompany me in the car to the car park. They provided my mum with a cup of tea while she waited for me to return. The staff member, Alison who accompanied me was lovely. The trip to the car park was reasonably straight forward and is an outdoor public park.

Throughout our stay the staff were helpful and friendly. My mum and I loved staying here. Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family