“Excellent food, friendly people and within easy walking distance of all Bath attractions.”
Review of Pulteney House

Pulteney House
Ranked #21 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in a very attractively decorated single room with a comfortable bed and a large, separate bathroom. Staff were very friendly and everything was clean and well presented. The freshly cooked breakfasts were far better than I often get in 4 star hotels where everything is pre-cooked and kept warm - the light and buttery scrambled egg was wonderful!
Although the hotel is close to a main road and train line, effective secondary glazing ensured that my room was quiet and I slept well. The separate bathroom was not ideal but, considering the price and the fact that it is only a 10 minute walk to the centre of Bath, I was very happy and would stay there any time I visited the city.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Grimble_cornet
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We have just returned from Bath having stayed in Pulteney Hotel Overall this was a superb place to stay its location could not be better as its only 8 to 10 minutes walk from city centre. The owners were helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious and beds extremely comfortable and we had great sleeps each nignt. Even though our room was at the front of the house and the hotel is on a busy street we did not hear any of the traffic.The room was well furnished and very clean.Tea and coffee facilities were in the room and this was well stocked with very nice biscuits supplied each day.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The location is great! Only a short walk to town and super close to the swimming pools and criket ground.
The room was good, three star is a good rating for the room. It was clean and comfortable. The shower pressure was weak so not easy to wash long hair. Also, when people were moving around upstairs it was very noisy.
The service...well...not great. When we first arrived we rang the bell three times and knocked loudly with no response. Finally someone came to the door she said she had been out the back so couldn't hear the bell - maybe they need a portable bell? At breakfast time we were pretty much ignored both mornings; other tables were seated, asked for their order and fed before we were even asked for our order. On the second morning, we left our room key on a table while we got some juice and when we went back to the table the staff had seated someone else there and moved our key! We did feel a bit invisable during breakfast. On the bright side I liked the music they were playing which I hummed along to to drown the noise of my rumbling tummy. When we checked out in the morning we asked if we could leave our bag there as our train didn't leave until the early evening. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us do this as it was mother's day and both owners would be out, at the same time...luckily the people at the swimming pool around the corner we super helpful and let us leave our bag in the office there, for free! They suggested the pools but said we might have to pay for a swim. They did not offer to phone anyone to ask where we could leave our bags. I asked if there were lockers at the train station to be told that they were taken out due to IRA bombings (wasn't this decades ago?) and that finding somewhere to leave bags is a problem in Bath. I'm not sure why they haven't made any effort to find somewhere for bag storage since they have clearly known about the problem for decades. I recommend that if you stay here and need to leave your bag, ask before you book. I never thought to ask prior to booking as I have NEVER had a problem before, anywhere in the world. I think this is being run as a B&B not a hotel so beware.
To top things off it was my birthday so this was not the best way to start the day.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2012

having previously stayed at this hotel - both myself and my husband were eager to return as the hotel is very close to the centre of Bath, and has a very secure car park within its grounds. The hotel is lovely and clean and staff are helpful. After completing the online booking request to see if there was a room available on our chosen date, I had a swift reply that indeed there was one available and to forward my card details and a fifty pound deposit to secure our booking. As I am not a fan of forwarding my card datails via e-mail, I decided to telephone the hotel to give my details that way, only to be informed that there was only a room available if I booked a two night stay. The man that answered the phone informed me that "even without looking I can tell you that the room is not available unless you book two nights". Rather misleading if you ask me. So my advice is that the online booking system is in fact a waste of time!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Susie T
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Actually, this is not a hotel but, rather, a Guest Hose. My husband and I had no idea why all the 4 and 5 * accommodations were booked when we planned our trip. Well, it was Market Week in Bath and it seemed as though everyone in England was there. So we found a room at Pulteney House. We were pleasantly surprised. Pulteney House is a lovely Victorian home - well-situated (though on a very well traveled road) with parking spaces on the grounds. The owners were most accommodating and friendly. The rooms are small but clean; the breakfast very tasty. It is well situated for a short walk to the center of Bath.

Room Tip: The facility is located near a train track so try to get a room facing away from that direction. We...